kneading

prinny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We adopted our girl almost 3.5 years ago from a no-kill shelter. Within the last 8, 9 months or so, she has started kneading on the blankets amnd, occasionally on me or my husband. We call it paw dancing. What gives with this? We have heard that kneading is a feel-good thing, back to their days with mom. Is there anything else this could mean? She was spayed before we brought her home.

We joke her gene pool is contaminated with dog genes. She sits up and begs, lifts one paw into the air, and if someone comes to the door, she must know who it is. Going with the flow, I'm trying to teach her a down stay.

We welcome thoughts on the kneading. It has to be something because she gets a strange look on her pretty little face. She was just at the vet for a wellness check and passed with flying colors.

Thanks

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Prinny

We adopted our girl almost 3.5 years ago from a no-kill shelter. Within the last 8, 9 months or so, she has started kneading on the blankets amnd, occasionally on me or my husband. We call it paw dancing. What gives with this? We have heard that kneading is a feel-good thing, back to their days with mom. Is there anything else this could mean? She was spayed before we brought her home.

We joke her gene pool is contaminated with dog genes. She sits up and begs, lifts one paw into the air, and if someone comes to the door, she must know who it is. Going with the flow, I'm trying to teach her a down stay.

We welcome thoughts on the kneading. It has to be something because she gets a strange look on her pretty little face. She was just at the vet for a wellness check and passed with flying colors.

Thanks
She is remembering her time as a kitten. Basically this behavior is learned when they are tiny babies just born, and are nursing from their mums.

If she is acting "dog" like you may want to try some clicker training. I was able to teach Bit to shake, and I am now working on roll over. He loved it, and it was really rewarding for me as well.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lookingglass is right. Kittens knead on their mother to stimulate milk as they suckle. Older kittens and adult cats do this when they are relaxed and happy. It's a trusting gesture, so feel privileged!

Fetching and returning is another thing that some cats love to do.

ann demi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's what I've read, too. It's a feel-good nursing behavior from their kitten time.

Incidently, that's why they domesticate with us humans so well, because they don't ever fully grow up. They keep that kitten-attachment-to-mom behavior that would otherwise totally diminish if left to grow up as feral adults.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Yup, your kitty is relaxed, comfortable and trusting in you! Oliver's the biggest mama's boy - if I'm not around, he's the biggest grump and doesnt know what to do with himself! He sleeps on me every night and kneeds when I give him scritchies... he's also pretty dog-like in that he follows me around, runs to greet you at the door and begs!