Our Simmy Boy

maddies mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our orange Tabby Simon went missing almost a month ago. He was an adopted cat from the Oregon Humane Society 2 years ago. He was/is 3 now.

He had a problem with urinating in the bedding and clothing even with 3 litter boxes throughout the house. After trying to retrain to the litter for months, restricting to the living room where he began peeing (Full bladders, not spraying) on the couch, and using the urine sprays everywhere, we finally had to resign ourselves to putting him outside. There was no way he was going back to the pound, to be adopted and moved around family to family when he began peeing again, and we weren't going to put him to sleep, so we set him up in our garage with a bed, and he was as happy as ever. We were nervous about having him outside, as we live in a rural costal community, on a 2.3 acher lot, surrounded by woods on 3 sides. Simon allways stayed in the open lawn area of the yard, very rarely going into the woods. Plenty of mice and snakes and lizards for him close to home. He came in for breakfast in the morning, roamed our large three tiered hilled yard, came in for dinner at night, and than out to the garage for bed.

Every couple weeks for a while, we tried to bring him in and let him stay inside for awhile, and he would pee on someting within a couple hours. Outside, he would walk our daughter to the hbus stop and meet us in the driveway when we came home. He was a wonderful cuddler
We all miss him, and keep hope that he might come home, but I don't think it will happen.

We had a racoon visiting our garbage cans every now and than (they were covered, but still smell) and recently he kept coming back. Simon chased him into the woods a couple nights before he dissapeared, which worried both my husband and I. We also have ducks that fell pray to something during that same time. One night, Simon didn't come to meet us when we got home. We never saw him again. We think that stupid coon came back and our brave warrior tried to chase him off. If they fought, I don't see Simon winning. The racoon was twice his size. We had set some live traps the week before Simon dissapeard, but I think they were to small for it's size, or it was to smart and knew better. At any rate, we have all realized Simon isn't coming home. He would have by now. He loved his food way to much, never missed a meal. Loved us as well. We have decided to adopt a new member into our family, but haven't really started looking. Has to be the right fit, because once a pet comes into our family, they are family till they pass away.

We miss you Big Boy

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, but please do not give up looking.

Also, if he does come back, please take him to the vet. The peeing is most likely being caused by an infection or cyrstals in his bladder.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very sad. I am sorry for your loss. Remember that any new cat will smell where Simon peed, so the house must be soaked in natures miracle or something similar before bringing in another kitty.

Rest in peace, Simon.

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for you. I came here because I have a very similar story, but I found my poor kitty. He also had a problem with peeing(on his previous owner and her bed!), but we had the same arrangement with him going outside, and then inside to eat and play with the family. My older cat had become quite attached to him as well. She is actually the one who is suffering most....she whines and cries and looks for him all day. I am soooo sad. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for comforting her? Also, my teenage daughter is moving away to college on Saturday, so my poor cat will really have an empty nest.
Please help.

Sierra

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddies mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Maddie, came to us during that time, and she would follow his lead and pee where he did, so we were able to get most of the spots. I know male urine is stronger and harder to get rid of, but for the most part we have it under control. Maddie had a relapse recently, however. We went on our scheduled extended family vacation, and I couldn't take her with. Our housesitter didn't clean the boxes and they were full. It could be that's what caused her (and possibly our other cat Bella) to pee on my bed, and my daughters clothing. Urine spray, and bleach in the wash. Both cats are using the boxes again. We may have some confusion with litter training, but I am not too worried about it.

Sierra, I am really sorry for your loss. Madison was hit by a car a little over a month ago and than Simons disapearance. I can't offer any advice as to your mourning cat as Madison was recovering and didn't notice, and Bella hated Simon. Just to give her plenty of love and time I guess.

It does hurt, I am not sure how to give animals closure like we have when we know they are gone. I said a prayer for both of you.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sierra_K

I am so sorry for you. I came here because I have a very similar story, but I found my poor kitty. He also had a problem with peeing(on his previous owner and her bed!), but we had the same arrangement with him going outside, and then inside to eat and play with the family. My older cat had become quite attached to him as well. She is actually the one who is suffering most....she whines and cries and looks for him all day. I am soooo sad. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for comforting her? Also, my teenage daughter is moving away to college on Saturday, so my poor cat will really have an empty nest.
Please help.

Sierra
I am so sorry for your loss. RIP kitty.

Just be patient with her, and in time, you might slowly introduce another pet of similar age to help keep her company. There are lots of tip on this site for doing that when the time comes, if you choose to do that.

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you so much for your prayers and suggestions! I miss Nico soooo much. It's taking me a long time to get over it. I appreciate your help and concern. I think I'll post a separate thread of Nico's story so I can get it out. It's nice to know other cat lovers understand my family's loss. He wasn't "just a 2 cent cat" like I have heard from an unsympathetic @#$*!

Thank you again,
Sierra

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sierra_K

He wasn't "just a 2 cent cat" like I have heard from an unsympathetic @#$*!
No, he wasn't.

And when you are ready, a tribute here at Crossing the Bridge would be a nice way to help to remember him.

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm ready...how do I do a tribute to Nico?

Here's a link to his picture with Sassy. Nico is the black one

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...o/DSC00847.jpg

I wish there was grief counseling for cats....Sassy is so sad without Nico
It's been over a week and she is still looking everywhere for him, and crying. This makes it even harder for me to get over the shock.
Sierra