Portugese strays

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
While I was on holiday in Portgugal last week I managed to catch a few snaps of some of the strays we encountered and thought I would share them.
It was really only last week that my ignorance moved aside and I realised the difference between a feral and a stray.
These cats were not afraid of humans and had probably had a lot of human contact, living in a tourist heavy area and they were not afraid of us at all. However, I found it so so hard to see these cats and not do anything for them. My brain just doesn't let me forget it... anyway here is a little guy who came right up to our table outside a restaurant one night. He let my boyfriend Mark touch his face and he rubbed all over his legs, the poor little guy was tiny and unfortunately still had all parts intact. He was such a handsome fella

I actually saw him a few nights later hanging around the same area, it's obviously a good place to get food.

This next lady came right up to our door, I spotted a few kittens before and I think she might have been the mother because her nipples were sticking right out and her belly sagged. Unfortunately my Step Mum would not allow me to feed her because we were staying at their house and she felt that putting food out would encourage more of them to come to the house, so we had to watch her through the window. My younger brother and sister were there, had they not been I'd have taken food away from the house for her, but they would have just wanted to come. She was beautiful and really reminded me of Nismo

(if you're worried about the legs, it's my reflection in the window
)

I
this one, what a pretty girl

Thats all I managed to get, one day I'll be able to do more for these babies.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of the first cat's markings, I would venture to guess that's actually a female...unless you noticed "boy parts."

What pretty cats...a shame they don't have homes or people who care for them and love them. I hope there is a day in the future where all kitties can have safe and happy lives with humans.

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They sure are fine looking cats. I hope they eat well. MIL sent over a picture book "Sunshine Cats". Thumbing through the pages I noted that all the cats in this book seemed to be of the exact type of your shots. I guessed in Mexico.. the Caribean or S.A. some where.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to say the first one was a girl as well being a calico, but if you saw bits...

They're sweet things! It's horrible when you see so many strays on the street - you just want to help them all!

When I was in Singapore, there was lots of pretty strays. We fed one on particular who was gorgeous and very friendly, and hung around a rickshaw outside our hotel. I was there with my mum and 2 of my aunts, and all being cat people, we felt sorry for him and gave him lots of attention. Then one evening a lady came down the street, and he ran up to her. She pulled 2 plastic bags from her bag as well as a bag of food and a big water bottle, and gave him food and water. It looked as though it was a nightly ritual for her to feed the strays. It was lovely

This is the little guy - adorable huh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
That little guy is gorgeous!
Yes I certainly did see his male parts as he walked away from us, I thought it was unusual for him to have those markings and thought he was a she too, until I saw his bits.
It's good to know there are other 'crazy cat people' out there to look after these strays

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I was going to say the first one was a girl as well being a calico, but if you saw bits...

They're sweet things! It's horrible when you see so many strays on the street - you just want to help them all!

When I was in Singapore, there was lots of pretty strays. We fed one on particular who was gorgeous and very friendly, and hung around a rickshaw outside our hotel. I was there with my mum and 2 of my aunts, and all being cat people, we felt sorry for him and gave him lots of attention. Then one evening a lady came down the street, and he ran up to her. She pulled 2 plastic bags from her bag as well as a bag of food and a big water bottle, and gave him food and water. It looked as though it was a nightly ritual for her to feed the strays. It was lovely

This is the little guy - adorable huh?

He is GORGEOUS! And looks alot like Clover, that belongs to another TCS member...

Isn't it nice to show affection to the babies that don't get it very often???