Infected cat bite

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there anything I can do over the counter for an infected cat bite? I have a red streak running from the puncture mark (it's on my hand). It goes around my wrist and stops near the visible veins in my wrist. This morning I cleaned the spot out with peroxide and put neosporin on it as well. Is it too late since I have the streak, do I need to get to the doctor?

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doctor, antibotic and soak your hand in very warm epsom salt water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was afraid of that

One of the people I work with said she thought it was OK as long as it wasn't hot or swollen... Unless the streak disappears by then, I am going to go to the acute care center after work.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you are going to see a doc. Hopefully he says you are fine and gives you an antibiotic.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are going in. My mom got bitten recently and she developed cellulitis and it was very serious. She had to be on iv antibiotics for 4 days. I wouldn't take a chance, catch it early. Everyone that gets bitten should clean it immediately so it dosen't get out of control.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it, but see a dr. When I had Lucky in at the vet, and they told me she had Bartonella, I was worried because I had been scratched by her while playing. And my vet said, you don't have to worry unless you get a red streak going up your arm from the wound. So see a dr. as soon as you can. Good luck....

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you're about to get off work, get to the doctor ASAP. Please! Red streaks are not too good of news.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am leaving in 15 minutes... This is so frustrating. I have an eye doctor appointment that I begged to get because I lost a contact and can't see. And now this... What a day!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear you are going to see the doc...let us know how it goes!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good lord sounds like blood poisoning! Hope it isn't

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you're headed to the doctor too...

Cat bites/scratches are NOT anything to mess around with...they can become dangerous, particularly if they get infected. Good luck...hopefully it won't be too serious, and they'll give you the necessary antibiotics!

Let us know!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well 6 prescriptions later I am back from the doctor. My bite is infected.
I left off on my previous post that this morning the puncture mark looked like a pimple. I squeezed it and got all the yucky infection out of it, then a few hours later is when the streaks showed up. The doctor said it may not have gotten this bad if I had not squeezed it. He thinks we caught it early enough and I will be fine. He was pleased it hadn't extended to my elbow yet. If the streak is still there tomorrow afternoon I am to go back.

Now for my larger concern....
Dori did bite me, but we were just playing. At the doctors office I had to fill out some paperwork for animal control
They said it was standard procedure when someone comes in with an animal bite. I didn't want to fill it out, but they wouldn't treat me unless I did. Dori is up to date on all her shots, but I am scared about animal control coming to my house... Surely they wouldn't take her away for this, right? I asked the doctor and he commented "If she keeps biting people they will take her away".
It isn't like that! I tried to explain but he wasn't very interested.
DO I have anything to worry about?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my I would hope not. Bites and scratches happen sometimes, not intentionally. If they would, I would think more people would lie. Will be waiting to see what other posters say. I hope your love bite gets better.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

They might quarantine her... I'm not sure.
wouldnt that only be without proof of rabies shot ?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had this happen just a few weeks ago with Billy - if your animal control is like here, she'll be quarantined for 10 days to watch for signs of rabies, then its a vet visit to confirm that she isn't sick, and all will be well. As long as you live in something other than an apartment, she will probably be able to wait out her quarantine with you provided there is no other contact with other animals or people (hopefully Brody and family members will be allowed contact as well).

I know its terrifying, thinking they could be taken away. I couldn't stop crying for hours after I went to the doctor, but everything will be okay. I promise you they won't take her away, at least not for longer than the quarantine. I hope you feel better soon, and I'm so glad you went to the doctor to get treated, even if it means Dori got in trouble. It will blow over soon.