TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Infected cat bite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Infected cat bite - Page 3

post #61 of 80
An excellent idea with the letters. Poor thing, sleep was what you needed. I hope your on your way to a quick recovery, with a much better day today, than yesterday

Have you heard anything today?

Edit: we were posting at the same time......... that seems promsing they havent contacted you.
post #62 of 80
Thread Starter 
I have to tell you, as this day has gone by I feel more and more optimistic about not receiving any contact from Animal Control or the Health Department.

I think Dori may be off the hook

I am going straight to bed when I get home from work. My fiancé said he would take care of dinner tonight so I can get some rest.
post #63 of 80
So far so good! They will give you a call before they come out, atleast they did my parents. Maybe since you were so insistent they didn't give animal control a call about it.
post #64 of 80
I think its just procedure. They probably wouldn't take the time to follow up unless their was a complaint or concern from the victim, which obviously wouldn't occur in this situation.

My main concern when this happened to me looking back now, is if my homeowners insurance (don't have a home yet but soon) asks if my cat has bitten anyone, am I legally responsible to say yes? Because animal control has the record... Eek.
post #65 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals View Post

My main concern when this happened to me looking back now, is if my homeowners insurance (don't have a home yet but soon) asks if my cat has bitten anyone, am I legally responsible to say yes? Because animal control has the record... Eek.
Very good question! We just signed on with a new company recently and it only asked about dogs specifically. It's all ready hard enough to find homeowners insurance in Florida (because of hurricanes), a "vicious" animal would make it 10 times worse!
post #66 of 80
I'm glad to hear things are working out well for you and Dori! My town of course is much much smaller than Jacksonville, so of course the cops had the time to come check out my situation I hope your arm is feeling better too, it sounded like a pretty nasty infection!
post #67 of 80
I'm glad to hear the update.

You'll have to do lots of resting with Dori at your side
post #68 of 80
Wow, what a lot of news I have missed! I'm SO glad you are beginning to feel better, and no one has called about Dori.

While this thread makes me afraid for my kitties if I were bit...everyone reading needs to understand how extremely dangerous that infection would have been if you did not get treatment. I have heard of people hospitalized on IV antibiotics for cat bites! They always have to be watched closely, and you need to see a doctor, and be honest with them, if you have any signs of infection.

Keep us posted on how you heal! Shame on you, Dori, for bringing so much excitement! Hugs to you, too, because you had no idea you would cause such a commotion!
post #69 of 80
I'm glad things are looking better, Tanya. Hope your healing continues without incident, and nobody from AC has any inclination to bother you.
post #70 of 80
I think that things with Dori will be ok as she is up-to-date on her rabies shots. You really didn't have a choice but to go to the doctor because cat bites can become lethal very quickly.

Sending you good luck vibes.
post #71 of 80
tell them that you took it with you to a parking lot and gave it away but you dont know who it was cause you just gave it to the first person that wanted it and you didn't know you werent suppose to
post #72 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiboo View Post
While this thread makes me afraid for my kitties if I were bit...everyone reading needs to understand how extremely dangerous that infection would have been if you did not get treatment. I have heard of people hospitalized on IV antibiotics for cat bites! They always have to be watched closely, and you need to see a doctor, and be honest with them, if you have any signs of infection.
Keep us posted on how you heal! Shame on you, Dori, for bringing so much excitement! Hugs to you, too, because you had no idea you would cause such a commotion!
The other night, when I returned home from the doctor, I completely freaked out and was terrified about them coming to get Dori. For the sake of the thread, I wish I hadn't done so because I wouldn't want to make anyone else think it would be better to lie about it. I think my not feeling well and the thought of quarantine just all hit me and I was upset.
Cat bites are not anything to play around with. If there are signs of infection such as pus, swelling, redness, streak marks coming out from the wound (red), fever, or any other sign that something could be wrong, it is very important to get to the doctor and make them aware that you were bitten by a cat. The urgent care doctor told me that if I had waited until the morning to be seen, as I was planning, I might have been in the hospital. I don't think lying about the cat that bit you is a very good idea either. If I would have said it was a stray, I would be going through rabies shots and a stray cat would be punished unfairly.

I pretty much slept from the time I got home from work yesterday until this morning. I was feeling bad last night and almost had my fiancé take me back to the doctor. I had a weird gold ball size lump behind my knee, and just felt overall terrible. This morning I feel much better, and the swelling behind my knee is almost gone. The red streak is nearly gone as well. If I am not still improving by the end of today I am going to make a follow up appointment with my regular doctor.

Still no word from Animal Control, which is a huge relief. I am really beginning to feel like that worry might be over at this point.

Thank you all for the well wishes and for being so supportive when I was so upset about Dori
post #73 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle View Post
The other night, when I returned home from the doctor, I completely freaked out and was terrified about them coming to get Dori. For the sake of the thread, I wish I hadn't done so because I wouldn't want to make anyone else think it would be better to lie about it. I think my not feeling well and the thought of quarantine just all hit me and I was upset.
Cat bites are not anything to play around with. If there are signs of infection such as pus, swelling, redness, streak marks coming out from the wound (red), fever, or any other sign that something could be wrong, it is very important to get to the doctor and make them aware that you were bitten by a cat. The urgent care doctor told me that if I had waited until the morning to be seen, as I was planning, I might have been in the hospital. I don't think lying about the cat that bit you is a very good idea either. If I would have said it was a stray, I would be going through rabies shots and a stray cat would be punished unfairly.

I pretty much slept from the time I got home from work yesterday until this morning. I was feeling bad last night and almost had my fiancé take me back to the doctor. I had a weird gold ball size lump behind my knee, and just felt overall terrible. This morning I feel much better, and the swelling behind my knee is almost gone. The red streak is nearly gone as well. If I am not still improving by the end of today I am going to make a follow up appointment with my regular doctor.

Still no word from Animal Control, which is a huge relief. I am really beginning to feel like that worry might be over at this point.

Thank you all for the well wishes and for being so supportive when I was so upset about Dori
Well said. I have heard of cases where improperly treated cat bites result in amputation and death. I am so glad you saw the doctor right away.

I read through the legal snippet in your earlier post. The law is mostly written to prevent the spread of rabies. I suspect dogs are under more scrutiny since there are more cases of vicious dogs roaming around biting people than cats.

Rest up and cuddle with Dori.
post #74 of 80
I'm really glad to hear you are starting to feel better and that you still haven't heard from animal control. I also agree about not lying about the cat that bit you. When I was bit last year by a stray (she was actually loving on my arm and her tooth accidently scraped me) I went to the er and you could barely see the scrape anyway. But, animal control did come and take the stray (this story has a happy ending.) They quaranteened her for about 10 days and then a no-kill rescue group adopted her! I know this because I made sure I kept in contact with the animal control branch manager. Had she not been saved I would have taken her. Anyway, I hope that made some sort of sense with my rambling. Moral of the story, don't lie, it could just make things worse for everyone involved. Lots of vibes to you and Dori.
post #75 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katachtig View Post
I read through the legal snippet in your earlier post. The law is mostly written to prevent the spread of rabies. I suspect dogs are under more scrutiny since there are more cases of vicious dogs roaming around biting people than cats.

Rest up and cuddle with Dori.
I think you are right Reading that now it looks much different than the night everything was happening. I felt like the swat team was coming for her the other night

I also wanted to give a special thank you to Pamela (Pami). She researched and sorted through all that info and explained it to me the other night... She even tried calling AC for more clarification to help ease my mind. I am sorry I didn't say it sooner, but thanks so much Pamela
post #76 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiboo View Post
I have heard of people hospitalized on IV antibiotics for cat bites! They always have to be watched closely, and you need to see a doctor, and be honest with them, if you have any signs of infection.
Yah no joke... My mom was hospilized for 4 days because of a cat bite (she developed cellulitis which is a severe infection) and was on IV antibiotics. She thought it would be fine and didn't put any alcohol or anythign to clean it. The doctor let her know that cat bites are severe because of the shape of the cats tooth, when it punctures, the skin closes over the top trapping in all the bacteria from the cats mouth. This is why they are so severe. You need to clean the bite right away and get to a doctor at any sign of infection.
post #77 of 80
Thank you Squirtle !

I was glad to do it..... how are things today ?? with your bite and with Dori ?
post #78 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle View Post
I think you are right Reading that now it looks much different than the night everything was happening. I felt like the swat team was coming for her the other night

I also wanted to give a special thank you to Pamela (Pami). She researched and sorted through all that info and explained it to me the other night... She even tried calling AC for more clarification to help ease my mind. I am sorry I didn't say it sooner, but thanks so much Pamela
I'm usually a calm person, but when I think my kids or pets are threatened, I can go into "crazy mode" pretty quickly. I remember one time, I was yelling at my brother in law at the top of my lungs....he just shook his head and smiled. He is totally deaf! He did get the message though, and was more careful playing with the kids after that!

That was nice of Pam...what a great friend you are!
post #79 of 80
I'm so glad you're feeling better, arm and about Dori alike! I remember how badly shaken up I was after Billy bit me - I literally couldn't stop crying for hours - my lab sent me home because I was so upset I couldn't work anymore.

Cat bites really can be nasty business, my urgent care doctor told me they have just the right strains of bacteria to cause really nasty infections in people. He told me mine looked really good for cat bites (just started to get a bit of pus and a little red), but even then I was taking 8 pills a day for 5 days with a prescription for 5 more days if it didn't look better by the end of it. At first, I was so upset at myself for getting Billy in trouble, but it was over pretty quickly and painlessly, and some poor stray kitty didn't get in trouble because I lied, so everything worked out for the best.

I hope that other people learn from this experience, and get bites taken care of quickly, but also so that other people aren't quite so scared for their own kitty's sake.
post #80 of 80
SO glad everything worked out ok
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Infected cat bite