convince me I'm not crazy....

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I know, I know that this is the right and healthy thing to do for her. But I have been putting off her spay appt for the last 6-8 weeks because of my own fears & worries. I really, really, really didn't want to leave her overnight. And my vet has you drop them off at 8am, and then you get to pick them up the next afternoon. Lucky gets mad at us when we leave the house for too long, or if I go out for too long on a Saturday afternoon... she needs her quality time with Mommy & Daddy.
And it just breaks my heart (seriously, I know I'm insane, but I could really just cry if I sit & think about it) to think that she'd be alone & scared in a cage at the vet's overnight, or groggy from surgery and scared without us. Or that she'd think we left her...
She hates to go outside, and runs from the door when you open it.... if I take her out, she tries to desperately claw her way back to the door....

But I did it, she is scheduled for September 9th, at 10:15am. I was able to get her into a clinic from the Alliance for Animals, this way she will not have to stay over night. And they will tell me how to care for her, what to look for, and what to keep an eye on etc. I know this is the best way to care for her & love her, but why do I feel such anxiety over it already? I just made the appt yesterday, and I'm already losing sleep over it. I am going to research the spay procedure today so I can be more familiar with what to look for and what to worry about. Is there anything I should know that you guys feel is important? Or do you guys have any advice or reassurance to help put my mind at ease? I just feel as if my sweet baby girl has been through so much in her almost 1 yr of life, being born with a birth defect, probably neglected from her momma cat, god knows what while living as a stray, almost starvation, Bartonella, 3 weeks of horrible meds, a 16hr ride home from FL, and then adjusting to her now completely comfortable posh life as a house cat... and I don't want her to feel sad or bad or scared at all ever again. Am I completely out of my mind?????

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No not at all... when I went to get Bit fixed I cried in the vet's office for a good 10 mins when they took him back. Just know that getting her fixed is going to make her life a lot easier. I realize that it may be a scary moment, but just know the people here at TCS will be here for you durring that time with out her.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Gosh your not alone in feeling this way, when they take Bella away from me to do an xray or draw blood I hate it and so does she, she moves her 2 front paws in the air to try to get back to me...Talk about feeling guilty!!
you are doing the right thing getting her fixed everything will work out..I can't believe your vet wanted to keep her overnight, that's hard to do...Glad you found somewhere else to take her.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not crazy.

Unless there is a good reason, I don't think cats should be kept overnight at the vets. I'm glad (for both of you) that you found a way around that.

If she's little scared now or uncomfortable, just remember that that's nothing compared to what she'll go through if she's left unspayed. It really is the kinder cut. My two didn't even notice it (and one of them had her foreleg amputated the same day).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to know that I am not alone in my craziness. I am sure I will be in tears that day... and poor Bella, that would've just broken my heart! I know that it's best for her, I just don't ever want her to have a bad feeling ever again... she has had enough in her short year of life. Thanks for all the support guys....

Satai: You are a brave person, I don't think I'd be able to handle it if she had to get her leg amputated. I would most likely be in a straight jacket locked up in the looney bin. I was sobbing on the phone with the vet when they told me she had Bartonella in May. The vet kept saying, she can take an antibiotic, she'll be fine. But I was sobbing away....

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

Satai: You are a brave person, I don't think I'd be able to handle it if she had to get her leg amputated.
You would - you're her MomCat. It doesn't have to be a graceful crossing, you just have to get to the other side of the room.

How you managed won't matter in a year, and probably won't even matter tomorrow - only that you did it - even if it hurt, even if in tears, even if you think you'll go mad or that you want to die.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I am glad to know that I am not alone in my craziness. I am sure I will be in tears that day... and poor Bella, that would've just broken my heart! I know that it's best for her, I just don't ever want her to have a bad feeling ever again... she has had enough in her short year of life. Thanks for all the support guys....

Satai: You are a brave person, I don't think I'd be able to handle it if she had to get her leg amputated. I would most likely be in a straight jacket locked up in the looney bin. I was sobbing on the phone with the vet when they told me she had Bartonella in May. The vet kept saying, she can take an antibiotic, she'll be fine. But I was sobbing away....
LuckyGirl, Bella had her rear leg amputated and I was totally freaked out but it was the best thing for her at that time and she was doing remarkably well with it...now she is basically getting around on 2 legs because her right front leg is lame now. Cats are so strong and resourceful, they would probably laugh at all the worrying we do.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are totally nuts Heather, but that's another story!

No, really, I went through all your saying. With each kitty speuter, it got easier having it done, but with Trixie, I absolutely was beside myself with worry........

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know just how you feel. Take comfort in knowing that she'll most likely sleep for a very long time right after the surgery, and will not really know what's happening. And think of how overjoyed she will be to see you when she's ready to come home!

It can be hard to leave our babies...just know that it's an act of love.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. Zebra got spayed last week and I brought her in at 8:30am and picked her up the next day at 2pm and I was so scared the whole time and I missed her so much. It was even worse because when I picked her up, I brought her home and then I went away for a night, came back for a couple hours and then had to go to work for 9 hours.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Guys! I really appreciate all the kind words & encouragement. You all are so brave & such an inspiration. I really am a strong person, but when it comes to my LuckyGirl, my hubby & I are complete mush. And Hubby doesn't do any of the worrying, I do more than enough for the 2 of us. I am glad to know that she will be sleeping for awhile after the procedure... and hoping that I can get her home before she wakes. Sometimes I swear I couldn't love her anymore if I birthed her from my own uterus!

Satai: your so right. All of this won't matter in a year. I'm just so glad that I can have her home in a few hours, vs. over night. Thanks for reality check!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I swear I couldn't love her anymore if I birthed her from my own uterus!

My sentiments exactly about my beautiful Bella...When I got her I was pregnant and didn't know it, after she was with me for a week I found out I was pregnant and a month later miscarried and she has been my baby ever since! I have had her since I was 28 I am 41 now. I was never able to have children, and sadly I know she has it better than a lot of real children. I believe my heart will break in two when I lose her, which unfortunately is inevitable given her situation. I'm so glad to know there are people out there who understand how I feel.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Sometimes I swear I couldn't love her anymore if I birthed her from my own uterus!

My sentiments exactly about my beautiful Bella...When I got her I was pregnant and didn't know it, after she was with me for a week I found out I was pregnant and a month later miscarried and she has been my baby ever since! I have had her since I was 28 I am 41 now. I was never able to have children, and sadly I know she has it better than a lot of real children. I believe my heart will break in two when I lose her, which unfortunately is inevitable given her situation. I'm so glad to know there are people out there who understand how I feel.
Ok, I am trying desperately not to cry at work, as we have clients behind me in the Board Room. My husband & I have been trying to have a baby for 2 years, with no luck. I am 28. (and feel 41) And everyone around me (all 4 sisters & friends) either have kids, are pregnant right now (and complaining about it), and are all younger than me. I have never had to suffer the tragic loss of a miscarriage, (I'm so sorry for your loss) and don't know that I am strong enough to handle that. But I do think of LuckyGirl as the baby I have not yet conceived. And she definately gets treated better than most kids.... I completely feel your pain, and sincerely pray that Bella has many years left to love you and comfort you the way she has for the last 13 years.
Heather & LuckyGirl