Help please, emergency

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet gave my three month old kitten too much ear mite medicine in her ears and she then gave herself a bath licking the excess off of her fur. Although, she didn't get it all licked off because it has made her very sick. I called my vet and all he said was to feed her and give her water to drink to flush it out of her system. She eats but she won't drink. I am worried about her. How long will it take for this to get out of her system? She is really tired, her eyes are dialated, and she can't walk very well. I have no idea what he gave her, he didn't tell me, and I didn't think to ask because I was so worried about her. I tried to call him back but he didn't answer or returen my second call yet. So far it has been in her system about 8 hrs.

Any insight on this would be great. Thank you.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am trying to follow this, he squirted her with ear mite medicine, did she then shake her head and get it on her fur, then lick it off? Do you know what the medicine is called? There are several out on the market now. Is there an emergency vet clinic near you? If you know the name of the product you can call the SPCA poison control hotline 1-888-426-4435 sometimes they charge you, and sometimes they don't. But have your credit card ready just in case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I am trying to follow this, he squirted her with ear mite medicine, did she then shake her head and get it on her fur, then lick it off? Do you know what the medicine is called? There are several out on the market now. Is there an emergency vet clinic near you? If you know the name of the product you can call the SPCA poison control hotline 1-888-426-4435 sometimes they charge you, and sometimes they don't. But have your credit card ready just in case.
He put enough in her ears that it leaked out of her ears. I called that hotline, but they wanted me to get the name of the medicine, but my vet still hasn't called back. She is still wobbly when she walks, she now has diarrhea. Does that mean that it is working it's way out of her system? There is no emergency vet clinic. I found a free animal poison control hotline, but they didn't say much other than to maybe put an IV on her to flush it out of her system quicker, but I couldn't find a vet that was willing to do that, I called a few. They said her veins would be too small. Can something like this cause permanent nervous system damage?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there's any shops open near you, you could try getting some Gerber baby food. Get the Stage 2 stuff that's pretty much just meat and water (make sure it has no garlic and no onion). Cats love it and it has a high fluid content, which would probably help.

Otherwise, mix her favourite food up with lots of water so it's very runny and see if she'll take that. Good luck!

That's poor of your vet not to call back

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has been eating a lot of canned food, but not drinking. I don't know what more to do...

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Look at your receipt from the vet- it should list all the procedures that were done and maybe it will say what meds were used.

horatio

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi,
u can try to give ur cat some wet food mix with water or soften the dry kibbles with water. this wud b 1 way to hv ur cat hydrated.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can also give her a tiny bit of vitamin C mixed with her food. That will help her body get rid of the poison, and help her recover.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your first vet hasn't called back, you need a second opinion. Vets are usually good people, but just like any profession there are some bad ones. I would hate to see your beloved cat have anything wrong because of a vet trying to cover up doing something wrong, or just being uncaring in general. There is also the possibility, just like any human or animal med, that your baby is having a bad reaction to something at the vets (probably the ear mite meds, did he do any shots or anything?)

As for fluids, get a syringe (like the baby medicine kind, no needle) and squirt water into her mouth across her tongue, rather than down her throat.