Heavy breathing

mmc32879

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6 month old kitten Marley breathes very heavy at times when he is sleeping on me. Is that normal or something I should be worried about? He was just at the vet on Friday for an upper respitory infection, but the vet checked his heart and lungs and said they both sounded fine. I have just noticed the heavy breathing, but he could have been doing it before and I just didn't notice. He was also diagnoised with Coccidiosis today as well. Could that cause him to breath heavy. Like I said he only does this while sleeping and only some of the time. Has anyone had experience with this?

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have noticed that all of my cats will sometimes breath faster while sleeping, it seems to be when they are dreaming (they will sometimes twitch too)

what did the vet have to say about it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmc32879

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like I said I just noticed it today so I haven't mentioned it to the vet yet. He is sleeping on me right now and is breathing heavy, if I nudge him or move he stops. Do you think it may have something to do with dreaming?

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MMC32879

He was also diagnoised with Coccidiosis today as well. Could that cause him to breath heavy. Like I said he only does this while sleeping and only some of the time. Has anyone had experience with this?
sorry when i read that he was diagnosed today with coccidiosis, i assumed you must have seen a vet today.

i would ask the vet about it just to ease your mind, but from my limited experience its not unusual for a cat to breathe faster sometimes when they are sleeping

when you say he is breathing "heavy" do you mean you can see his chest moving more than usual?
does he seem to have a hard time breathing?

the URI can cause congestion that would make it hard to breathe sometimes, like when we have a cold.

some vets suggest rinsing out the nasal passages with saline water (warm salt water)

you might want to ask about that

good luck

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitty is a heavy breather. When she's asleep she snores loudly, and even when she's half awake we can often hear her breathing. Often when she's just sitting up, she has loud, heavy breathing as well.

Certainly if you go back to the vet ask them, but some kitties are just loud, heavy breathers!