Spaying/Neutering Age

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just talked to the clinic where we have had our animals spayed and they do not do s/n until the cats are 4 months old. Does that sound right? They are great and the s/n program is free with low-cost shots, but I am just curious if that seems to be 'normal'.
I want to get the mom/kittens done at the same time, but I can't wait 4 months to have mom done! she and us will go bonkers with her wanting to go outside!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But don't I need to wait until they are weaned? They are only 8 days old. I was calling the vet clinic because the vouchers that are given out are for a 30 day period--say, the month of Sept, etc--and I was kind of hoping to do them all at once. I will get mom done first if possible but she needs to be done nursing, right?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mowsluver

I just talked to the clinic where we have had our animals spayed and they do not do s/n until the cats are 4 months old. Does that sound right? They are great and the s/n program is free with low-cost shots, but I am just curious if that seems to be 'normal'.
I want to get the mom/kittens done at the same time, but I can't wait 4 months to have mom done! she and us will go bonkers with her wanting to go outside!!!
I would have mom fixed now....if you can wait till the kittens are 4 months of age...great...but you may want to call around and see if there is another clinic that would spay the kittens earlier.

Katie

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you could do that. I wouldn't wait past 4 months though on the kittens. Especially since I am sure there are some males and some females in the litter. By 5 months you run the risk of the males getting the females pregnant... But I would definately get the mother done right now, don't wait that long.

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will she still be able to nurse if I have her don now? The babies are so small!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Will she still be able to nurse if I have her don now? The babies are so small!
Mom cats are able to still lactate once they have been spayed.

Katie

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
low cost clinic by me is 4 months also-not sure if girls are same but the boy I just took in to be neutered was jsut under but hes big so nothign was said. Is the 4 month min anything to due with rabies shots? cause at this place they get a 3-1 and rabies then get surgery within hours. and they won't spay if the animal has milk(they will do early term abortions). Thats why I waited so long to take mom cat to be spayed-she stopped nursing them around 3 months and then had to completley dry up. RJ

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to disagree with Katie (TNR1), but I would keep Momma locked inside and get her spayed when the kittens are 8-10 weeks old. I would not spay while the kittens are only 8 days old.

And it should be fine for the kittens to wait until 4 months to speuter, then they can go to their new homes!

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can get vouchers for free s/n but the shots I have to pay for, though they are a lost-cost shot clinic. That is all they do, shots and s/n.
I will have to wait until Sept to take mom in but it will be Nov before I can take the kittens in....

sapling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am definitely not an expert on kitten care, but I've gotten many cats spayed before and often they seemed to be sore and tender on the tummies for a couple days. That could be very bad if the kittens are rooting around looking for milk! Last thing you want is mom to stop nursing them because it's painful for her.

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is what I was thinking because they crawl all over her! I KNOW those little nails have to hurt!!
I can't imagine what it would feel like with an incision trying to heal...OUCH!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I hate to disagree with Katie (TNR1), but I would keep Momma locked inside and get her spayed when the kittens are 8-10 weeks old. I would not spay while the kittens are only 8 days old.

And it should be fine for the kittens to wait until 4 months to speuter, then they can go to their new homes!
I agree with this. And most kittens can be spayed/neutered once they are around the 3 lb. mark, if I'm not mistaken. Kittens can be fixed much earlier than what the vet community originally thought.

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also thoughtthey could be done earlier but since it is a free s/n I have to go by what they say...

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Depends on the circumstance....I have spayed cats with very young kittens if there is a chance that she is a high risk for escape or an outdoor cat.

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

I agree with this. And most kittens can be spayed/neutered once they are around the 3 lb. mark, if I'm not mistaken. Kittens can be fixed much earlier than what the vet community originally thought.
Actually..kittens can be fixed as long as they reach 2 lbs. Some places will spay a kitten as early as 7 weeks of age.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I was not too clear. I meant don't wait till the kittens are 4 months old - wait till they are weaned. Get mom spayed when the kittens are about 3 months old and make sure you keep mom INSIDE. If she shows any signs of coming back into heat before you get her spayed, call the vet and take her in right away!

bluebells belly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Do you know how soon after birth mum can be spayed? Thanks

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bluebells Belly

Do you know how soon after birth mum can be spayed? Thanks
Ideally....you should wait until 2 weeks after mom has stopped nursing her kittens...that is around 10-12-14 weeks of age. However, if you find yourself with a cat that has an uncanny ability to get outside and get pregnant...I would set up an appt for when the kittens are around 6 weeks of age. Some vets will not spay a lactating female..so you need to check with your vet when the earliest is that they will spay a cat.

Katie