Uti

apesusi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was peeing outside of his litterbox. After reading a lot on the behavior forum I found he could have a UTI.

I took him to the vet and he did indeed have an infection. So he's been on antibiotics. He had become accustomed to peeing in our living room instead of the box. How can I get him to use the box again? I treated the carpet with an enzyme cleaner and got rid of the couch he peed on. Should I put a litterbox up in the living room where he used to pee? If so, how do I gradually get him back down to the basement where his box is?

Thanks!
Anna Mae

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should completely throw out the old litter boxes. Get new ones that look different. Maybe try a covered and an uncovered one. Get a few, you should have one box per cat and one extra. Try a different litter too. Maybe get 2 small bags of two different kinds. Experiment a bit. I would put one in the room that the cat is peeing inappropriately in. And one in the basement where the box used to be. Don't expect any major changes until you do these things. You are treating him for the UTI, you cleaned the couches, now get new boxes and litter and scatter them around the house and see if things change.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

You should completely throw out the old litter boxes. Get new ones that look different. Maybe try a covered and an uncovered one. Get a few, you should have one box per cat and one extra. Try a different litter too. Maybe get 2 small bags of two different kinds. Experiment a bit. I would put one in the room that the cat is peeing inappropriately in. And one in the basement where the box used to be. Don't expect any major changes until you do these things. You are treating him for the UTI, you cleaned the couches, now get new boxes and litter and scatter them around the house and see if things change.
the above and it may be good to get some cat attract litter to help remind the kitty where to go

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you can also clean the carpets and get rid of the scent and put food where they were peeing cats generally don't like peeing where they eat.