NO kill in PA having financial difficulties

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I volunteer for a no-kill in PA and we are running out of funds due to helping out a high kill shelter in Maryland among other things like all those kittens and abandoned cats. We need more donations!! Any one have any ideas how we can get the public involved? We do have some fundraisers but its not helping!! Any ideas will be appreciated

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try and get the youth of your community involved! A little girl in Fresno, CA wrote a letter to the editor of her paper and sent $1 to help save the Fresno Zoo and it worked! You might see if your local 4-H club or local church groups would be willing to help you do some fundraising such as car washes or yard sales to benefit the animals. You could also check out our local rescue group, ICARE, at their website: www.inyopets.org; they have fundraising dinners that have been EXTREMELY successful! ICARE also has pet shows at the county fair and the local vets donate their time to be judges. Taco Bell and the feedstores allow ICARE to put out donation cans with them, too. Sending lots & lots of {{{prayers and vibes}}} for sucessful fundraising for your shelter

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Try and get the youth of your community involved! A little girl in Fresno, CA wrote a letter to the editor of her paper and sent $1 to help save the Fresno Zoo and it worked! You might see if your local 4-H club or local church groups would be willing to help you do some fundraising such as car washes or yard sales to benefit the animals. You could also check out our local rescue group, ICARE, at their website: www.inyopets.org; they have fundraising dinners that have been EXTREMELY successful! ICARE also has pet shows at the county fair and the local vets donate their time to be judges. Taco Bell and the feedstores allow ICARE to put out donation cans with them, too. Sending lots & lots of {{{prayers and vibes}}} for sucessful fundraising for your shelter
These sound like excellent ideas to me. Also, bake sales are another idea. But benefit dinners, donation cans, and all of the above would help. Also, get your local radio station involved in announcing the need for donations and help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for all the suggestions! I will talk to some of the people and see what can be done.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I volunteered with a no-kill here in Ohio that had a store. They sell pet toys, hihgh-quality food (wellness, wysong, merrick... stuff you can't find at the grocery) clothes, all kinds of stuff. Some elderly people in the nearby retirement home make little croched (sp?) doggy clothes.

Their rent is free, and their landlord (who owns a huge strip mall including two restaurants and a grocery store) writes off the amount of rent on his taxes.

The store is staffed by volunteers, mostly retired women except for when I was there, so they have absolutely no overhead except the electric and phone bill. So, all of the profit goes back into the shelter.

Maybe you could set up something like that?

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lukin28

Hey guys. I volunteer for a no-kill in PA and we are running out of funds due to helping out a high kill shelter in Maryland among other things like all those kittens and abandoned cats. We need more donations!! Any one have any ideas how we can get the public involved? We do have some fundraisers but its not helping!! Any ideas will be appreciated
Some nontraditional ideas for you

http://www.missionfish.org/index.html assists organizations such as yours.

http://pages.ebay.com/givingworks/ is also a great idea for fund raising over the internet. people bid to donate to the pet displayed. it is NOT an animal auction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks guys. that ebay thing sounds kinda cool