Do Cats Pant?

quakana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After my 11 month old cat was chasing the kitten around, I played with him with a laser light for about 5 minutes he was running all over the place pretty fast and when we were done he was panting. I dunno it kind of made me nervous I have never seen a cat pant before. Is this normal?

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, it is not normal for cats to pant. This sounds like a case of overexertion, plus if your home is experiencing this heat wave, as well, being too warm may have added to the situation. Still, it would be of concern to me that an 11 month old would get that worn out so quickly. Since there's always the possibility of an underlying medical condition, I would strongly recommend that your little boy see his Vet for a check-up to discuss this.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by quakana

After my 11 month old cat was chasing the kitten around, I played with him with a laser light for about 5 minutes he was running all over the place pretty fast and when we were done he was panting. I dunno it kind of made me nervous I have never seen a cat pant before. Is this normal?
Cats do pant and it can be normal or not. Depends on the situation.

5 minutes of constant running isn't normal activity for a cat, so I think the panting in this case isn't cause for alarm. Cats normally do quick sprints around the house, chasing things and so forth, but they make frequent stops. Unlike dogs, who will run and run........and pant.
Using the laser light, makes them exert themselves quite a bit, because it is something they can never catch. May cats will pant as well if they over do it, chasing the elusive light.
Your cat should recover from panting quickly when the play ends. Within 30 seconds or so. If he doesn't and his breathing continues to be labored for a long period of time after activity has stopped, I would visit the vet.

kittiluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen cats pant when they get EXTREMELY hot. But it's rare. One other note...I hope you don't run your kitty that hard on a full stomach. Something I always keep in mind before I pull out the laser pointer.

sahara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old queen ran like absolute MAD around the house, but ı mean ı thought she was posessed by another creature or something!!! She went completely berserk!!! Anyway, ofcourse all that rocketing around had to come to an end, and when it did ı swore she was definately posessed by a dog!!! The panting was amazing!!! But ı really panicked, thought she might have a heart attack or stroke of some sort. I sat her on my lap and cuddled and calmed her down ,then she ceased to pant.
But its a panicky situation to see her pant like that. The weather was VERY hot though, plus all that running around ofcourse, ı eased my mind into thinking it was because of the heat and excitement.
One other time she panted drastically was when ı took her home from the vet clinic for the first time (its where ı discovered my baby girl!). I didnt have a proper carrier then, just a cardboard box with big holes on top + the weather was extremely hot + ı switched 2 buses and then took the ferry boat!! She was constantly trying to "destroy" her way out of the box, thus ended up exasperated and panting like crazy. I got upset but couldnt face the idea of going back through all that travelling again to ask the vets what the hells going on!!

The panting youve experienced ,from my experiences, is completely normal. Cats cant stand too much heat and humid weather or too much exercise either. With these two factors combined, even I would pant!!!

Just dont get her overexerted too often cause she might suffer lung problems on then long run. After all ,cats are the ones that need resting and we who need to run after them to make their lives comfy!