Paper Based Phishing Scams

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning we received a paper based phishing scam from Spain. You know, the ones where they tell you that you've won a share in their lotto and want to you send them all your details and pay for the paperwork to claim your prize!

I was just wondeing if anyone knew the right authority to forward this on to?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, me too!
It's a funny one really, we all know exactly where to send email scams, but paper has just got me baffled!

I'd like to notify someone so that they can hopefully prevent some poor soul from falling for it!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure who the right person to call would be, but I'm sure if you contacted the police they could point you in the right direction.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Thanks, me too!
It's a funny one really, we all know exactly where to send email scams, but paper has just got me baffled!

I'd like to notify someone so that they can hopefully prevent some poor soul from falling for it!
If it came in the mail I think you should report it to your Postmaster (or whatever they call them in England).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

If it came in the mail I think you should report it to your Postmaster (or whatever they call them in England).
I will certainly contact Royal Mail and see what they say! Thank you for the idea!

Originally Posted by Hell603

If it came through the mail than it is a federal offense..
Really? I didn't know that!!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i got something in the mail the other day, lol that i won a canadian lotto, lol. i thought it was pretty funny. I have the paper still and will be turning it into the police.

Sure is to bad i didnt win the 250,000 they said i did,LOL

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you can report it to the Trading Standards people at your local Council Offices.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have gotten them via fax... it's usually the African government has some giant amount of money that was left to me, and they need my info to transfer my millions.... Maybe it is real?! And I've been crumpling it up & throwing it away, when all this time I could've been a billionaire by now!

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hell603
If it came through the mail than it is a federal offense..

Really? I didn't know that!!

Yup and now I quote

" Mail theft and mail fraud are felony offenses that carry harsh penalties, including incarceration and a monetary fine of up to $250,000.

For a defendant to be convicted of mail fraud, the following must be proven:

The defendant planned to commit fraud
The defendant intentionally created a fraudulent scheme
The defendant mailed (or had another person mail) items for the purpose of committing fraud
Materials mailed by, or on behalf of, the defendant were fake and purposefully used to defraud"

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gotta start sending all these scam emails I get to someone... I should figure out who.