Close call.....

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This afternoon we went to an old co-workers house to pick up a swing-set and a porch swing. Apparently they had laid down some astro-turf and these foam squares to keep thier grandkids from getting hurt if they fell off the swings.
Well we had already taken apart the swing-set and had it loaded in the truck when they asked us if we wanted to foam squares to put also. We were picking them up and dusting them off when I happened to look over right as DH picked one up and stepped away. I looked down and there was a pigmy rattlesnake
I told him "DONT MOVE AND LOOK DOWN"... OMG he moved like lightening and grabbed a shovel! He quickly killed the snake ( I know, some people think it's cruel but they are posionous!)... As he took care of that one we CAREFULLY lifed up another foam square and there was an even bigger one!
and eggs! This one was about to strike DH when he lifted the shovel and it turned the other way and took off. We squished all the eggs and decided right then that we weren't going to use the foam squares. Our friend thanked us because he does have a dog and cat that go in the back yard and if they were to get bit then it would kill them.
Then as we were about to leave our friend hit the A/C unit by accident and ROYALLY ticked off about 100 bees that are apparently living under the unit... I quickly ducked into thier screened pool enclosure and waited for them to die down. I'm HIGHLY allergic to bees/wasps.
Talk about some close calls today!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I'm so glad you're okay! It sounds like the wildlife is gone nuts down there!

Bees, rattlers, geesh!

Just... stay inside til tommorow. It's clearly not your day to be outdoors!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

OMG I'm so glad you're okay! It sounds like the wildlife is gone nuts down there!

Bees, rattlers, geesh!

Just... stay inside til tommorow. It's clearly not your day to be outdoors!
That's what I said... I don't mind snakes usually... matter of fact I have been known to pic up a ratsnake or black racer or garder snake... the posionous ones I know better... I did pick up a cottonmouth once when I was little and took it inside to my mom... she freaked on me! I didn't know what it was, just a snake to me. It was in the winter and he was literally frozen and started to wiggle around in the bucket I had him in... I think my rear is STILL sore for that one!

This is what the one we seen today looked like

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No good. Snakes are no good. I'd freak out if I seen one of them.
Bleh...You are lucky they didnt get you. What would happen if they did?
Cuz that's scary!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
glad he is ok.

Once in the woods of WVA, i had a female friend sit right down next to rattlesnake, she never saw it, until she sat down, yes sorry we shot the snake, it was doing what rattle snakes do, and i bet if she had went to move away it would have bitten her.

that same trip we saw a black bear also. for some reason the rest of the time in Wva she would did not want to leave my aunts house.

so maybe staying home for the rest of the day is a good idea

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah

No good. Snakes are no good. I'd freak out if I seen one of them.
Bleh...You are lucky they didnt get you. What would happen if they did?
Cuz that's scary!
To animals like cats and dogs it's fatal but to humans it's not.. It just hurts like
and makes ya sick...

http://www.uga.edu/srel/rattlesnake.htm

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have ran like a rabbit
I hate snakes with a passion, we used to have the hugest ones when I lived up in wine country, you could litterly see them crossing the road a block away, we would drive by or around them and I would scream and put my legs up in the car seat

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Usually he's the chicken and runs from snakes and I'm the one runnin em off... not today... he got all "manly" on me

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The guy we got the swings from called on tuesday . Offered to pay Dh to clean up his yard (wonder why
) well with us being broke right now he said yes and we agreed on $100.... talked to him also last night and confirmed it all.. Well he asked my mom (they work together) to have us call him. Said he had to work tomorrow and wanted to let us know where everything was so we could go ahead and do it... OK, so I called him tonight and he says "Well I was thinking about it and I think $20 is more then fair for the work"
I was SHOCKED to say the least... There's rattlesnakes, bee's wasps and a HUGE yard that will take a better part of 6 or so hours to clean and he wants it done for $20?????
I told him he was insulting me. He threw it in my face that he gave us the swings... I said "yeah you GAVE us the swings and that was before you ever said anything about cleaning the yard... You never said "clean my yard and I'll give ya the swings and $20"... I told him he was insulting me and if he thinks he's gonna only pay Dh $3.33/hr to do this then he's outta his mind!
Needless to say DH is NOT going to be happy about this since we were depending on this money to make it to next friday... I am So livid... My mom said she's also going to say something to him on Monday... She's his supervisor