Mom cat just had babies,but dosen't show interestes in foods

cuteminicute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my sister's cat had babies yesterday, but she didn't show much interestes in foods.

what should we do to make her eat more? when I check her breasts, they look like can't produce sufficient milk to kittens.

thanx a lot

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she tried offering the food to her in the kitten nest? I had one foster Mom who was so devoted to her babies that she did not want to leave the nest. I put her litter box right next to the nest, and the food (and water) on the other side. I even placed the bowl of food up to the Momcat (Sarabi) so she could eat without leaving the kittens.

Are the kittens nursing? Do their bellies look full and round? Are they sleeping quietly or crying?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cuteminicute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU BECKIBOO!!

Yes, their bellies look round.

My sister and I were hand feeding the mom, she ate 3 cans(80g) of kitten food yesterday after the kittens are born.

but today only 1.5 cans, mom cat wouldn't eat by herself, she leaves the nest every 4 hours, walking around, but not go eating.

I guess maybe the mom will not produce milk in 1 or 2 days, we have to bottle feeding the kittens, and wipe their bottoms.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the bellies are round and the kittens aren't crying, she is producing enough milk. The more they nurse, the more she will produce milk. And if she is staying with the kittens, she should be licking them to stimulate them to go potty. I've fostered preggers kitties for 2-1/2 years, and I rarely see them stimulating to go potty...but they just do it naturally as they bathe the kittens.

If she continues to refuse food, I would call the vet. But maybe she is just exhausted today, and after eating placentas yesterday and stimulating kittens to poo today...maybe she just isn't hungry?!?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cuteminicute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had 3 babies.

but didn't eat the placentas, I am not really sure what a nursing cat's nipple look like.
my sister's cat got 11 nipples, 4 or them are very tiny
I squeeze these nipples, no milk at all. others got few, but not too much..

so worry about these kittens..

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CuteminiCute

She had 3 babies.

but didn't eat the placentas, I am not really sure what a nursing cat's nipple look like.
my sister's cat got 11 nipples, 4 or them are very tiny
I squeeze these nipples, no milk at all. others got few, but not too much..

so worry about these kittens..
Well, out of 11 nipples, if 4 are tiny, she still has 7 to feed 3 kittens! That is plenty! I never tried to squeeze milk out of a nipple, so can't help you there. But so long as the kittens are content, they are getting what they need. Just keep monitoring the food intake for Momma.

Maybe offer her some kitten formula...kitties always like that, and it will give her food and liquids!