Cat bleeding and no kittens found

tizzyz_mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya.

I have a year old cat and earlier she started to bleed and what looked like a percenta fell out. I looked after her, rubbing her tummy and fed her. I have been looking around for the kittens and i cannot find them.

I rang the emergancy vet and he said to just leave her alone and she will do what shes gotta do. I'm really worried about the kittens because it's cold outside and Tizzy hasn't been around them she has been with me all the time. I have looked for the kittens everywhere but i cannot find them.

What can i do? Does it sound like she was/ or pregnant? Her tummy is hard and when i rubbed it she did start bitting me.

Please reply asap... a worried mum here.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tizzyz_mum

Hiya.

I have a year old cat and earlier she started to bleed and what looked like a percenta fell out. I looked after her, rubbing her tummy and fed her. I have been looking around for the kittens and i cannot find them.

I rang the emergancy vet and he said to just leave her alone and she will do what shes gotta do. I'm really worried about the kittens because it's cold outside and Tizzy hasn't been around them she has been with me all the time. I have looked for the kittens everywhere but i cannot find them.

What can i do? Does it sound like she was/ or pregnant? Her tummy is hard and when i rubbed it she did start bitting me.

Please reply asap... a worried mum here.
tizzy don't panic where are you in england doll? is she an outdoor cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tizzyz_mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey.

I'm in sussex you? She is an indoor cat she loves to be around people. She is laying on my bed right now. What do i do?

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hey.

I'm in sussex you? She is an indoor cat she loves to be around people. She is laying on my bed right now. What do i do?
you say you have spoken to the vets. does your vet know she is under 18months old?

are her nipples poking out and very pink? has she ever been outside? how long have you had her and where did you get her from? its not very cold here in Kent so i wouldn't worry too much about the cold... i would be more worried about looking all over the house and finding the kittens. look behind and under everything you can. if she's sat with you it may be that she has lost the first one and is looking for a better nest. i find it odd that she's just staying with you if she's in labor. is she panting or breathing heavy? cleaning herself excessively down below? do you stil have the placenta that came out can you discribe it to me? is she still bleeding?

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
right i need to go to bed. if i were you i would get in touch with the vets and let them know all of the details of this cat. good luck

tizzyz_mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya.

Yes i did tell the vet that she was under 18 month. She is not panting or breathing heavy but she was bitting me earlier because i was rubbing it and her tummy was hurting. I have looked all over the house and my two gardens and i have followed the trail of blood but it lead me nowhere. I have been in the bush twice and saw nothing. Her tummy is still hard and shes eaten the placenta. She has been outside most days and she does know her way around. I have left the windows open just incase they are outside so she can get out to them.

The vet told me to leave her alone and not to worry about her or the kittens. And she will go to the kittens when she wants too and not to disturb them. She has been licking her private area a lot and i have checked her bum but no more blood coming out but blood around it.

The pleacenta was like liver. It was very pale creamy colour. It was about 2inchs long. It was a bit dark around the edges.

Do you have any idea where they could be? What kinda places to cats put their kittens or will she even go looking for them even if she is not meternal? What else can i do to help?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know this must be upsetting just hang tight, someone will be around that will be able to give you some advice.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hiya.

Yes i did tell the vet that she was under 18 month. She is not panting or breathing heavy but she was bitting me earlier because i was rubbing it and her tummy was hurting. I have looked all over the house and my two gardens and i have followed the trail of blood but it lead me nowhere. I have been in the bush twice and saw nothing. Her tummy is still hard and shes eaten the placenta. She has been outside most days and she does know her way around. I have left the windows open just incase they are outside so she can get out to them.

The vet told me to leave her alone and not to worry about her or the kittens. And she will go to the kittens when she wants too and not to disturb them. She has been licking her private area a lot and i have checked her bum but no more blood coming out but blood around it.

The pleacenta was like liver. It was very pale creamy colour. It was about 2inchs long. It was a bit dark around the edges.

Do you have any idea where they could be? What kinda places to cats put their kittens or will she even go looking for them even if she is not meternal? What else can i do to help?
My advice would be first to ring a second vet for more advice or possibly better insight into what is going on.

If she is still licking she is probably in labour. Is there any chance what you saw was the mucus plug and not a placenta? Did you describe in detail what you saw to the vet?

If you're not certain she's pregnant, could it be a miscarriage?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, a young cat who is a first time mother may well not be experienced enough to do all the right things to care for her kittens.

If it is possible/probable that she delivered outside, it is too cold outside for newborn kittens without their mum to keep them warm - they do have to be found.

Is it possible there is another cause of blood - internal or external injury from a fight or a tip from a car?

Is this the first you've ever thought she might be pregnant? Are her nipples pronounced?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hiya.

Cats can hide kittens anywhere. I disagree with the vet. If she has not delivered all the kittens, she could get out and have more outside. I would confine her to the house, and watch her closely. If it is her first litter, she may not know how to care for the kittens. Have someone else walk around outside listening...if the first kitten is still alive, it will begin crying. I think the chances of it surviving are slim...most likely it was still born or something outside may have gotten it. Keeping kitty inside will keep her and any further kittens safer.

bluebells belly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My advice is to take her to the vet to see if she is still pregnant, had kittens or injured at least then you will know if there are kittens to worry about and if your cat is OK. Good luck

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
right then sorry i had to leave you last night. i was absolutly shattered. I hope everything went alright.

i must admit i'm a bit disapointed in your vet, you being only 19 i would have though he would be a bit more sympathetic with you and give you a better idea of what was going on. I agree with one of the comments above, get a second opinion.

You mentioned earlier that she was an indoor cat? why was she allowed out? Also why was she allowed out before being spayed? She's way too young to be having kittens. i would have her checked immediatly because of this. she could end up with pyometra or mastitis from not delivering correctly or just not being fully developed.

please get her spayed ASAP.

bluebells belly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is a pedigree british short hair and i kept her indoors for ages, unfortunately she got out through a window in the utility room and that was it! she is pregnant and due any day. I was worried that she was to young to have kittens and considered having her spayed but my vet said that she would be fine. I took his word for it! To keep a cat in who wants to go out is not easy. My friend has two indoor cats and they have never looked to venture out. Unfortunately mistakes happen, we can only learn by them and get our cats spayed ASAP!!!This comes from a very responsible 36 year old!

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bluebells Belly

My cat is a pedigree british short hair and i kept her indoors for ages, unfortunately she got out through a window in the utility room and that was it! she is pregnant and due any day. I was worried that she was to young to have kittens and considered having her spayed but my vet said that she would be fine. I took his word for it! To keep a cat in who wants to go out is not easy. My friend has two indoor cats and they have never looked to venture out. Unfortunately mistakes happen, we can only learn by them and get our cats spayed ASAP!!!This comes from a very responsible 36 year old!
i can relate it does happen! but the way she discribed it sounded as though the cat was allowed and encouraged to join them outside... "She has been outside most days and she does know her way around."

tizzyz_mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya.

Thanks for all the replys you have given me. I have been up most of the night with my cat and she has been ok, she has ben outside a lot. Ive seen no more blood and tizzy is out a lot more.

I have been looking outside but i cannot find anything and i have tried my best to look for the kittens. I'm really worried about them now. I haven't rang the vet yet as theres nothing to say.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hiya , does she still seem to be pregnant ? my cat bleed for 2 day's b4 she gave birth then had trouble and had to have a c section to remove the remaining 3 kitten's , just fone up ur vet's for some advise hope all goes well

tizzyz_mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya.

I dont know if shes pregnant still. She seems to be around me a lot and on her own. I have looked again for the kittens but nothing. My vets are a**e holes so i ain't going to bother with them.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can u not still feel kitten's moving around in side? that is normaly a sure sign , if she has still got kitten's and god forbid they arn't alive it can be dangerous to the mum hon she will need a vet check just to be on the safe side can't u try a different vet's?

tizzyz_mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't feel anything but her tummy is hard. She has been laying down a hell off a lot and sleeping.

I have tried a different vet but they won't see me because i'm not registred with them. I'm hoping the kittens are ok because it's been raining and im scared for them.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I can't feel anything but her tummy is hard. She has been laying down a hell off a lot and sleeping.

I have tried a different vet but they won't see me because i'm not registred with them. I'm hoping the kittens are ok because it's been raining and im scared for them.
thats a bunch of bull!! a vet should be willing to see any animal.
did you try one of the cats protection leagues or the PDSA?