New bettas!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had bettas a few years ago, and once they died, we never got anymore.. I wanted another, but mom said no. I just got my first paycheck this last week, and I decided to buy myself a double betta tank, and have bettas again.
Mom and I went out to do some running around, and we went to PetSmart, so I picked two out. The box said to leave water in the tank for 24 hours before putting them in, so I'm waiting a while. I haven't got pictures yet, but I'll take some later and post. I'm excited! I really like having bettas.

I do have a question though.. it's been a while since I've had bettas. The box the tank came in said to add dechlorinated water and leave it for 24 hours.. that means I don't have to add anything to the water, right? I'd hate to do something wrong and that would make them die.

witchykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you leave the water uncovered overnight, it should take out all the chlorine. I usually put some stuff to dechlorinate and some other stuff to remove nitrates and minerals also, just to be safe. They should be fine with letting it sit out overnight, though.

I don't know how much of an experienced betta mom you are, but be sure not to overfeed them. You probably got those little betta kibbles too. I feed no more than 2 kibbles, twice a day. Bettas are little piggies and will eat until they pop.

I have four bettas. I have two 2 1/2 gallon divided tanks with a male and female in each. They're so interesting to watch, especially the females. These little fishies have personalities, believe it or not. Definately not boring pets, that's for sure!

Here's a good betta forum in case you need extra help: http://www.bettaforums.com/

Good luck and can't wait for the pictures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by witchykitty

If you leave the water uncovered overnight, it should take out all the chlorine. I usually put some stuff to dechlorinate and some other stuff to remove nitrates and minerals also, just to be safe. They should be fine with letting it sit out overnight, though.

I don't know how much of an experienced betta mom you are, but be sure not to overfeed them. You probably got those little betta kibbles too. I feed no more than 2 kibbles, twice a day. Bettas are little piggies and will eat until they pop.

I have four bettas. I have two 2 1/2 gallon divided tanks with a male and female in each. They're so interesting to watch, especially the females. These little fishies have personalities, believe it or not. Definately not boring pets, that's for sure!

Here's a good betta forum in case you need extra help: http://www.bettaforums.com/

Good luck and can't wait for the pictures.
Thanks for the info! I put them in a little while ago, and they're acting fine, so I'm not as worried anymore. I guess I was, because the last betta I had died the morning after I brought it home, and I don't want these two to die.

We don't know too much about bettas (she doesn't really like them.. I bought them because it's my money, and I personally like them
), but I don't feed them a lot.. usually three pieces of food a day. There's one at my work that I have to feed every morning, so I'm used to it.

I agree about the personality thing.. I know people don't usually think of fish as the most fun pet, but I really like bettas. I had to literally catch the first one while putting him in the tank, because he jumped right out of the cup.
Oh, and thanks for the forum link.. I'm sure I'll end up joining.

Here are a few pictures, and I'll get more a little later.

Together.. they both have quite the personality..

This is the one that likes to move around the most, and who I had to catch while putting in the tank. I know they're males, but I've always had habits of giving my bettas girl names.. I'm thinking of "Mitsuki" for this one. I'm a huge Full Moon wo Sagashite fan, so that explains it.

This one's more calm, and he likes to look right at me more, so I had to turn a little to get a better picture. I'm thinking of "Meroko" for this one.. another FMWS name (Mitsuki and Meroko)..

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey cool about your new bettas! I have had them for years. My current one is a year old. I just got him from Walmart, I feel so bad for that pathetic little shelf of bettas frogs and snails so I got one once. The one before that was a center piece at a wedding. They were on each table. So my boyfriend was all concerned about what would happen to the bettas which the bride and groom were like uhh didn't think about that... and so we went around collecting them all. Which was really tricky sice you cant mix them obviously, and we had an hour drive. They were all in vases sloshin around for the trip back home but we made it. They didn't live too much longer but we did what we could...

Anyways Bettas seem like heafty little fish. I just add more tap water into his little tank every week. It evaporates pretty fast. I have one of those bowls from the pet store with the little blacklight attached above it. There is a thing you can get to put in the bowl, dissolvable tabs or a liquid, but they work well. I prefer the liquid but if you put too much it will cloud the bowl and make it foam. But it gets the water perfect for bettas. Remember that bettas don't NEED a ton of room. I don't know if it's true but I have read that they do better in small bowls.

Have fun with your betta!

witchykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually Bettas do better with about 2 1/2 gallons to 5 gallons. I don't have mine in that much right now (I have 2 in a 2 1/2) but I've had a betta in a 5 gallon tank once. He was the king of the hill! He shimmied and swam all around like he was the happiest fish alive. They also like leaves and stuff they can rest on occasionally.

Once you get into larger, community tanks, bettas can start to get real shy and even get picked on by other fish. I've never had a community tank but I want one. I'd like to have a community tank full of females, but I don't have time (or the $) for it now.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My tank isn't that big, but they do have a bit of room to move around. They're swimming around right now. The tank came with a little plant for each side, and I didn't notice that there were things at the bottom to put the plants on, and they wouldn't stay up.. so I guess I'll have to wait until I clean the tank to put them in.. they're under the rocks. Wish I would have noticed that sooner.

witchykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops. There's plenty of time do fix that- I'm sure you'll be cleaning it out before long! I used to HATE cleaning out my tanks, but it's not so much of a bother anymore, for some reason. I need to get some more decorations- it's getting a tad boring. Here are some photos of mine!

http://www.witchykitty.com/images/DCP_0337.jpg

http://www.witchykitty.com/images/DCP_0339.jpg

So do you think the pagoda is fish profiling? It's so pretty though. Thanks for the betta discussion!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm sure I will be. I like your pictures.. the decorations are cute, and so are the bettas.
My tank is kind of tiny, but maybe I can find something to put in there.. we have these tiny, colorful seashell decorations that go at the bottom of tanks at my work.. maybe I'll try that. They're so bare right now.. bleh. I guess I'll just give each their last piece of food for the night, and see if I can find anything at work tomorrow.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently got a 2 gallon tank with a divider. I took the divider out because I couldn't see my betta for the reflection from the divider. He is so pretty, and will get nose to nose with the cats. I would like to get a female, but I keep hearing that the male will kill her. I had bettas successfully with mollies before, and the guy at the pet store said as long as the other fish don't have flowing fins, the male will not hurt them. What do you think? I think I asked this in another post, but I don't exactly remember.
My memory is not so good any more. I am really enjoying my little tank, they are great for watching to relax.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awsome betas. I have two myself. I have a male red Crowntail. His name is Jolly Rodger, and he thinks he's hot stuff. The other is a good sized female, who currently, does not have a name yet. Jolly Rodger lives in a 3 or 4 gallon tank. (I haven't measured it) and the female is in a half gallon. I want to move her into a larger tank next month, but she seems to like it just fine in the little tank.

meow_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That bowl is to small for even one betta. You need a bigger one. Right now you need to be doing water changes every day to every other day. The bigger the tank/bowl the less work.

Try www.petfish.net for lots of info on bettas.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Soka

Awsome betas. I have two myself. I have a male red Crowntail. His name is Jolly Rodger, and he thinks he's hot stuff. The other is a good sized female, who currently, does not have a name yet. Jolly Rodger lives in a 3 or 4 gallon tank. (I haven't measured it) and the female is in a half gallon. I want to move her into a larger tank next month, but she seems to like it just fine in the little tank.
Jolly Rodger.. cute name.
You should post pictures sometime. I'd like to get a female sometime, so maybe I'll buy the single betta tank from work, or just buy the last divided one.
I finally put the plants in, and got a few decorations, so I'll get pictures sometime.

Originally Posted by Meow_Cat

That bowl is to small for even one betta. You need a bigger one.
I've seen bettas in smaller tanks, and they're not cleaned too often. I'm sure they'll be just fine.

witchykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should get a turkey baster just for cleaning out your tank. That'll help you clean out the fish poop and uneaten food from the bottom for quick cleanings.

The cleaner the water, the less chance that they'll develop fin rot, or other diseases.

My fishy developed an infection not too long ago, but I was able to cure him. I was sooo relieved!

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My little female lives in a 1/2 gallon and she's quite happy. I will be getting her a bigger tank as soon as I can, though. I always end up pampering my pets. The new male and the female need names. I'll post pictures of my betas this afternoon.

meow_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One inch of full grown fish per gallon. Betta's grow about an inch to an inch in a half with out the tail So for two betta you need about two gallons.

Females with out the tail grow about an inch but they are extreamly active fish and require about 1-2 gallons.

If you can't give your animals the care they require then you shouldn't have gotton them.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have eight females and 16 males
, and once you get into them, there's no going back! I can speak from experience!

I have all of my boys and girls in at least one gallon or more. It's really recommended that they have more room to swim and be Bettas. Those little dinky hexes are not good quarters for them, they will flare/be stressed constantly and rip their fins into shreds, you would have to clean them every other day because of ammonia buildup.

Compare stuffing a dog into a crate and leaving him there day in day out .... Er, sorry to be so pushy. I just believe Bettas have rights.

Good luck with them both, they look so beautiful. Everyone's bettas are.

Ah, lovely little fish, Bettas.

Another good site is ultimatebettas.com. Everyone there is super friendly.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My betas will definatly be moved to larger tanks as soon as I can get the tanks. I plan on putting the female into a 3 gallon and the other male into a similar tank. The only problem is I've been spending far too much money at Petsmart and I'm trying to limit myself. I'll get one new tank this weekend and move the female into it.

I agree about the thing with betas. Once you get one, there is no going back. I started out only getting one, now I have three. My sister has four. (She got two new ones today.)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had over 20 bettas. For a double betta tank all you need to do is clean it with a new sponge (w/o soap), and add water to it that has been distilled (you can fill up an old milk jug that has been cleaned out with water....as long as it has sat over 24 hours, it's considered distilled. Add the water to the tank along with some "stress coat"- purchase it at petsmart ...it's around $5 and will help the fish maintain their slime coating and keep their scales healthy when switching them from one environment to another or after they've been netted a lot. You said you have a double betta tank- if it doesn't have a filter...you don't have to let the water sit in it 24 hours before adding the fish. You can set up your tank, add the distilled water and fish asap if it doesn't have a filter. I do suggest that you thoroughly rinse out whatever gravel you want to use in a strainer before putting it in the tank- it will cloud up your tank if you do not. Also i don't suggest using the gravel that comes in the betta set up tanks with the double tanks- i've found that it clouds horrible and doesn't do a very good job...instead....buy some gravel at the pet store- pick out whatever color and style you like ...and clean it with scalding water and let it dry before putting it in the tank- remember---NO SOAP! I don't suggest you using a double betta tank for 2 fish. What i would suggest however is purchasing 2 double betta tanks and taking the divider out...that way each betta has it's own tank...they really need the space. If you were to use only one betta tank with the divider the fish would be way to cramped...instead get 2 tanks so that your fish have enough room to swim around in
. They will be much happier. I suggest feeding them blood worms (sounds gross, but bettas are carnivors...they weren't designed to eat flake food) Petco sells blood worms by the betta items in a little plastic see through container attached to a cardbord backing- it's around $2.50 and don't worry- they're not live...they're dried. I've tried a ton of betta food and so far, mine have all done the best on blood worms- and they love them too! Good luck! Also when adding accessories to your betta tank such as plants and ceramics- stay away from sharp edges!!! They can tear your bettas fins and cut them. Also, bettas are carnivors...so you dont have to put live plants in their tank unless you just want to for show- they won't use them as a primary food source. If you have any more questions pm me and i'd be happy to try and help.

witchykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good advice Nikki!

I can't get my fishies to eat blood worms though. They will only eat the pellets. I know they thrive on a varied diet though, or at least from what I hear.

To the experts: Are females more active than males? Mine are super active.

meow_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most females are more active because they don't have as much finnage to hold them back or weigh them down.

But males sure can move to