The crystals are gone now what food?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The crystrals in Ophelia's urine are gone!

I got a 10 lb. bag of Science Diet c/d to put her on. I was hoping to talk to the vet when I picked it up, but she was gone for the weekend. So, I'll keep her on the c/d untill I get things figured out. My hope is to be able to feed mostly wet & give her a little dry c/d to snack on.

What sort(s) of wet food would be good for her? She had struvite crystals. I know I've got Meow Mix, a few cans of Merrick, Nutro pouches(a few), Gourmet Classics cans, some Iams pouches/cans, Eukanuba pouches, EVO cans, Solid Gold cans, Eagle Pack cans, Natural Life cans, Pro Plan cans, and I'm sure I've got something else, I just can't think of it. Anyways....I've got a variety here, but don't want to feed her anything until I know some guidelines & do's & dont's.

Is there an alternative non RX dry food I could try? I know I've got Solid GOld Katz-n-Flocken, but I don't have the bag anymore(stupid me!) to check the label. I also have Innova EVO.

Thanks!

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You want to find a canned food w/ little fish (so it is low magnesium--no Meow mix in this case), and one with as low ash as possible. I think Innova lite and Nutro pouches/cans are really good when it comes to these criteria.

DEF. no EVO!!! Espcially the dry b/c the ash content is off the charts at around 9%. I think the best dry would be one of the Eagle Pack formulas b/c the ash content is around 4% which is really low for a dry food!

Grats on the no crystals though! awesome

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know I've probably asked before, but I can't find my note.
What is the acceptable range or ash & magnesium?

What do you think of the Gourmet Classics cans for Ophelia? I know Twitch & Lily love them, so I always have tons on stock.

I sorta guessed meow Mix would be out...I noticed that they have very little fish! lol j/k

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
stay away from Iams, Whiskas and Meow Mix if she is pron to crystals. also Royal Canin makes wonderful wet pouches for crystals. try this... http://www.royalcanin.us/vetdietfelineind.html the Urinary ones are towards the bottom. email them to find a local distributor. you might be able to order it online from one of the aussi sites and it might be cheaper. i get my allergy food for one of my babies there. glad to hear your baby is feeling better.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlphilli

You want to find a canned food w/ little fish (so it is low magnesium--no Meow mix in this case), and one with as low ash as possible. I think Innova lite and Nutro pouches/cans are really good when it comes to these criteria.

DEF. no EVO!!! Espcially the dry b/c the ash content is off the charts at around 9%. I think the best dry would be one of the Eagle Pack formulas b/c the ash content is around 4% which is really low for a dry food!

Grats on the no crystals though! awesome
I agree with all but the Eagle pack ( u know my issues ) ... Max cat and one of the purina ones and pro plan s are certified ... BUT... you know I have to say ask the vet what parameters he/she wants ... Ash is not a major issue as most are under 7% now( you want the Ph at about 6.5% if memory serves) ... you need to watch calcium( if you can find it listed) magnesium and phosphorus levals ...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I agree with all but the Eagle pack ( u know my issues ) ... Max cat and one of the purina ones and pro plan s are certified ... BUT... you know I have to say ask the vet what parameters he/she wants ... Ash is not a major issue as most are under 7% now( you want the Ph at about 6.5% if memory serves) ... you need to watch calcium( if you can find it listed) magnesium and phosphorus levals ...
I have been looking at a can of Eagle Pack Chicken & Lamb Formula. It says the magnesium is .025%, and ash is 1.80% The can doesn't list the phosphorus or calcium levels. Is it that way with most foods? Do I call them to find out the levels in each food? The pH...where is that listed? Sorry so many questions, but I am still terrible at reading food labels.

Oh...and when you say Max cat, purina, and pro plan are certified, so you mean they sell Rx diets? I'm too tired to be thinking this much right now, so that question might be really dumb.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I have been looking at a can of Eagle Pack Chicken & Lamb Formula. It says the magnesium is .025%, and ash is 1.80% The can doesn't list the phosphorus or calcium levels. Is it that way with most foods? Do I call them to find out the levels in each food? The pH...where is that listed? Sorry so many questions, but I am still terrible at reading food labels.

Oh...and when you say Max cat, purina, and pro plan are certified, so you mean they sell Rx diets? I'm too tired to be thinking this much right now, so that question might be really dumb.
No thse certified are otc regular foods that are tested ( by the FDA or USDA I think it s fda ) and have been proven helpful in UTI prevention...

wet food is a bit different
.25 magnesium is likely .88-1.00
1.80 ash is 6.7-7.2% depending on the caculation used to set apart the moisture...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

No thse certified are otc regular foods that are tested ( by the FDA or USDA I think it s fda ) and have been proven helpful in UTI prevention...

wet food is a bit different
.25 magnesium is likely .88-1.00
1.80 ash is 6.7-7.2% depending on the caculation used to set apart the moisture...
Sorry...I've got yet another question. On the OTC foods...are we talking dry or wet? Sharky, sometimes I just don't know what I'd do without your advice. I really do appreciate it!

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just FYI---the FDA and USDA have nothing to do with pet foods....only the AAFCO.

The only time the FDA is involved is when a food is considered "medicated" or has a drug in it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlphilli

Just FYI---the FDA and USDA have nothing to do with pet foods....only the AAFCO.

The only time the FDA is involved is when a food is considered "medicated" or has a drug in it.
Uti health must fall under medicinal and thank you for telling me which one... Every year the non exitant memory fails evan more
lol.. I just had a seminar on one of the foods and saw a copy of the certification.. This I would gather is only the foods that went thru the testing

It would be dry thou I have seen I think some Purina wet with them ( dont quote me lol..)