Cat Food Survey for homework

student84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm new to this board and would like to ask a favor, if you wouldn't mind. I thought this board would be great to ask.

My teacher is requiring a cat survey to be answered by two cat owners for extra credit that. This is for my marketing class, a case study we are doing on BC Packers entering the cat food industry. The class will have a group discussion on our answers: cat owners, lifestyles, their cats, and cat food.

Please respond if you would like, it is a rather fun survey andyou will be kept anonymous.

Thank you in advance

How many cats do you own?
How many are pure bred?
How many are mixed breed?
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify)
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy?
How many cans do you buy per week?
How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- taste, nutrition, price, coupon, flavors variety/selection, looks like human food
What is the most important reason for buying this brand?
Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify)
How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like?
Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents?
Do you greet your cats when arriving home?
Your age, gender, marital status?

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How many cats do you own? 3
How many are pure bred? 0
How many are mixed breed? 3
What type of cat food do you feed them? I feed Felidae dry and a wide variety of canned food/raw meat. Why? I feed dry because it's more convenient, but I know how much healthier wet food is so I try to give them as much wet food as possible
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? Merrick, Innova, Innova EVO, Nature's Variety Prairie, Wellness
How many cans do you buy per week? On average, when I buy canned food/raw meat, the cats get maybe 1 can/container per week. They get a couple spoonfuls a day or every couple of days, so the food lasts a little longer
How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- taste, nutrition, price, coupon, flavors variety/selection, looks like human food Taste is important, because the cat needs to want to eat it; Nutrition is VERY important, if you want the cat to live a long and healthy life; Price is important, but I'll willingly pay a little more to get something MUCH more healthy; Coupons are nice and I'll use them when I find them, but I don't really need them that much (I spend a max of $50 a month on cat and dog food, wet food included). Plus the coupons are only 10% off or $5 so for $50, it doesn't seem like much; variety is very important because if a cat is eating one formula for forever, he starts to have unequally balance nutrition in his body, too much of one thing and too little of another. When the cat gets a wide variety of flavours/formulas, it's easier to make sure the cat's nutritional needs aren't being cheated; looking like human food doesn't seem to matter to my pets, they'll eat it no matter what it looks like, lol
What is the most important reason for buying this brand? The most important reason for buying any food is the nutrition. If the nutrition is cruddy, it's not worth buying the food, no matter what the price is or how much it's on sale or how tasty it is.
Where do you purchase the cat food? I buy my food at Tailblazers, a low-chain pet food store. I used to buy my food at another low-chain pet food store, Global Pet Foods, before Tailblazers opened and started carrying food that Global Pet Foods doesn't carry (like Felidae and Timberwolf Organics, 2 foods I feed my cats and dog)
How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like? If the cats eat it eagerly and their coats and bodily functions look great, then the brand is worth continuing. If the cat refuses to eat it and/or it's coat looks dull and it's poops are squishy, then the brand does not work for the cat and shouldn't continue to be eaten
Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? Yes, mostly. I consider myself to be Buffy's slave or minion, but I'm a parent to the other 2 cats and 1 dog.
Do you greet your cats when arriving home? Yes
Your age, gender, marital status? 18, female, single

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How many cats do you own? None, but I'm owned by 13
How many are pure bred? none
How many are mixed breed? all 13
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify) Dry (because it is easiest to free feed that many) and canned (because they need a special treat to help bond with them once a day) The smaller cats get a larger quantity to keep up their weight. The juice is fed to the cat(s) that are on medicine, which I mix into the juice
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? They like Friskies and pretty much dislike most other brands
How many cans do you buy per week? 14
How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- taste, nutrition, price, coupon, flavors variety/selection, looks like human food For dry (their predominant diet) I go by quality and health. For canned, I buy what they enjoy
What is the most important reason for buying this brand? Assume you mean canned. I buy the flavors that the concensus likes
Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) Either a grocery store or pet store
How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like? When all of them stay by their individual bowl and finish their serving without walking away. It's hard to please that many cats.
Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? Yes (I am mom of many)
Do you greet your cats when arriving home? Always
Your age, gender, marital status? 46, female, married

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many cats do you own? 2

How many are mixed breed? 2

What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify) Canned and dry combo

What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? Pet Promise and Wellness

How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- taste, nutrition, price, coupon, flavors variety/selection, looks like human food Nutrition is the most important, also I only buy a non-byproduct food.

What is the most important reason for buying this brand? My vet feeds this to her cats, and was honest enough with me to say that her food in her office wasn't as good. I also did some research into what goes into pet food, and found this one to be better than most.

Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) Wild Oats, I've never seen it anywhere else so I can't do a price match.

How do cat owners know what brand their cats like? They eat it. They also don't go by the bowl, sniff it, then try to bury it under the tiles of your kitchen.

Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? Yes

Do you greet your cats when arriving home? Greet is a loose term, I have to run into the hallway and grab them because they are performing "welcome home" tricks.

Your age, gender, marital status? 28, female, married.

lucat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How many cats do you own? 1
How many are pure bred? 1
How many are mixed breed? 0
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify) Dry-Hill's Science Diet K/D -it's a prescription diet for renal problems-get's a treat once in awhile of wet food.
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? Wellness & Innova EVO
How many cans do you buy per week? 2-3 small size cans
How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- taste, nutrition, price, coupon, flavors variety/selection, looks like human food I have no choice with Science Diet because it is prescribed by the vet for health reasons. For the treat of wet I buy what my cat likes.
What is the most important reason for buying this brand? Health of cat
Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) the vet for dry-wet at a pet center
How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like? If he doesn't like it he won't eat it-walks away-
Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? Yes-although I'm owned by the cat-
Do you greet your cats when arriving home? He greets me!
Your age, gender, marital status? 57, female,divorced

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How many cats do you own?
Three.

How many are pure bred?
None.

How many are mixed breed?
All three.

What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify)
I feed a prepackaged raw food, a processed dry food, and a variety of canned foods.

What brand(s) of canned food do you buy?
California Natural, Felidae, Wellness, Merrick, occasional Fancy Feast.

How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- taste, nutrition, price, coupon, flavors variety/selection, looks like human food
In order of importance- nutrition, and whether the cats will all eat it. Nothing else is important to me.

What is the most important reason for buying this brand?
Nutrition, and whether the cats will all eat it.

Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify)
Pet food specialty store/grooming shop.

How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like?
Trial and error. You try it and if they eat it, they like it.

Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents?
Most emphatically not. I am their guardian, their protector, and their slave, but I did not give birth to them.

Do you greet your cats when arriving home?
Yes.

Your age, gender, marital status?
52, female, married.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! and welcome to TCS!

How many cats do you own?1
How many are pure bred?none
How many are mixed breed?one
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify)Combination of wet and dry
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy?Meow Mix Pouches
How many cans do you buy per week?14 pouches per week
How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- taste, nutrition, price, coupon, flavors variety/selection, looks like human foodnutrition and price are most important (price being relevant to the quality of nutrition
What is the most important reason for buying this brand?best nutrition for the price and readily available in my area
Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) Dry comes from Petco, Wet comes from Wal-mart
How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like?Madden is very picky, so it was kinda hit and miss for us. I just started buying the highest quality foods I could find in the sample bags until I found one he would actually eat (Purina One Chicken Flavor, none other will do
) allthough I want to try Chicken Soup, but no one sells it in my area

Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents?yep
Do you greet your cats when arriving home?yep
Your age, gender, marital status?21 Female Married

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll answer too, even though I think you said you only need two?

How many cats do you own? 1

How many are mixed breed? 1

What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify) Dry and wet

What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? Iams

How many cans do you buy per week? Well, I don't. I buy all they have when I'm about to run out. I use 1 small can/pouch a day or half a regular sized one.

How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- taste, nutrition, price, coupon, flavors variety/selection, looks like human food? I have no idea how it tastes... but how it smells is important. Variety of flavors and and textures (the Z-ster hates pates or stews), price is ever so vaguely important but not much. If it's worth the price, then it doesn't matter.

What is the most important reason for buying this brand? It's the decent-est you can get at the grocer's.

Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) Grocer's. Giant Eagle (is that what you mean by specific?)

How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like? I ask her
. No, really, if she doesn't like it she won't eat it til she's starving, if she likes it she'll leap into your arms as you're putting down the plate.

Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? Well, yea! And she's my Babygirl.

Do you greet your cats when arriving home? Ha! Like I have a choice! She waits for me at the door.

Your age, gender, marital status? 21, F, S

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How many cats do you own? 5
How many are mixed breed? 5
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify) Mostly wet, dry to nibble on through-out the day.
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? 9-Lives Real turkey in juice, only because its the only thing I can get them to eat.
How many cans do you buy per week? 24
How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- taste, nutrition, price, coupon, flavors variety/selection, looks like human food ... taste is important. I just wish I could get them to eat more nutritional. Thats most important.
What is the most important reason for buying this brand? Its the only kind they will eat.
Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) Pet Supply store.
How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like? They will let you know.
Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? LOL, kind of.
Do you greet your cats when arriving home? absolutely.
Your age, gender, marital status? 39, F, single.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I hope this helps:

How many cats do you own? 1, but I feed 2 others
How many are mixed breed? 1 (+2)
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? A combination of dry and canned, as my cat prefers dry, and I consider canned healthier because it contains more moisture and fewer carbs.
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? European brands - Almo natural, Schesir, Miamor, Cosma, Green Fish, Grau, Ökomed
How many cans do you buy per week? I buy in bulk - up to 240 cans of one brand every few months
How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- Taste, nutrition, flavors variety/selection are very important. I avoid certain ingredients because of food allergies, and my cat doesn't like poultry. Price/coupons are much less important, but I will buy large quantities of his favorite brands if they are on sale. It doesn't have to look like human food, but most of the above brands do, because they are almost all meat or fish, with at most a tiny bit of rice added.
What is the most important reason for buying this brand? Health.
Where do you purchase the cat food? From several online pet food suppliers.
How do cat owners know what brand their cats like? Trial and error.
Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? Yes.
Do you greet your cats when arriving home? Yes.
Your age, gender, marital status? 49, female, married

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How many cats do you own? 3
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify) Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Adult Formula. Dry food all the time, canned food made my 1 cat FAT.
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? if i had to buy it, it would be Nutro
How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- taste, nutrition, price, coupon, flavors variety/selection, looks like human food. Nutrition is first and foremost with me
What is the most important reason for buying this brand? Wonderful food, no corn or by products, which cuts down on stool/smell, keeps my cats coats shiny and very low shed.
Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) PetsMart
How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like? trial and error but i gave my cats no other choice they had to eat this food or they would starve...lol now my 1 cat will not eat anything else
Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? yup
Do you greet your cats when arriving home? more like they greet me, running up rubbing around my legs almost tripping me.
Your age, gender, marital status? 24/f/single

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many cats do you own? 4
How many are mixed breed? 4
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify) Dry and two get wet - the other two would if they would eat it or not throw up when they eat it
and the why... because thats what they do best on, I try to get wet in their diet because its good for cats, but its not good for two of my cats, so I feed a low carbohydrate dry to make up for it with the other two

What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? Innova Evo Dry and Fancy Feast or Merricks wet
How many cans do you buy per week? 7
Nutrition/Ingredients are important, as well as taste for them, there is no point giving a 'good' food they refuse to eat... and mixed with taste is flavours because one hates anything 'red meat' flavoured - beef etc.
What is the most important reason for buying this brand? The wet is just the main brand they will eat, its more of a treat for them as the other two don't get it. With the Evo dry, it was the best I could find in terms of ingredients (high protein, low carbs) that all four liked.
Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) There is one 'regular' pet store that carries it, but generally the pet feed store.
How do cat owners know what brand their cats like? Cats are finicky and will let you know. I have one that will eat but throw up anything he doesn't like or doesn't agree with his stomach. Another will just push it out of his bowl onto the floor and another will go on a hunger strike... and the last one will just eat anything.
Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? yes
Do you greet your cats when arriving home? yes - they wait at the door for me and get a hug each when I get home.
Your age, gender, marital status? 25 / F / Live with BF

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Dry and canned. Canned is healthier, because it keeps them hydrated, which is important for mine because they have a history of urinary problems. But dry is easier to feed, because you can leave it out.

What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? Hi-Tor Felo Diet and Royal Canin Urinary SO 30

How many cans do you buy per week? I go through about 3 cans a week, but I buy by the case as needed.

My cats have a history of urinary problems, and one needs to be on prescription food, so that is the only consideration in choosing their food.

What is the most important reason for buying this brand? See previous question.

Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) The prescription food I get at the vet's office. The other food I get at a local, non-chain pet supply store (they specially order it for me).

How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like? If they eat it.

Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? Yes.

Do you greet your cats when arriving home? Yes.

Your age, gender, marital status? 32, F, married

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many cats do you own?4
How many are pure bred?1
How many are mixed breed?3
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify)Dry - Inova Evo but I watch to make sure they drink every day
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy?Sometimes I can get them to eat Merrick gourmet entrees
How many cans do you buy per week?basically none
What is the most important reason for buying this brand? Nutrition and what they will eat.
Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) Locally owned Pet Store
How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like? Trial and Error.
Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents?Yes
Do you greet your cats when arriving home?They are waiting at the door for me.
Your age, gender, marital status? 38, female, married

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How many cats do you own? 3 (except nobody owns a cat)
How many are pure bred? none
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify) Free feed dry, because it's convenient and can be left out for them; 1 small can shared morning and night, for variety, for the interaction with them, and because wet food is likely better for them.
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? They like Fancy Feast (certain varieties only, mind you) and turn their little picky noses up at pretty much everything else.
How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- taste, nutrition, price, coupon, flavors variety/selection, looks like human food ..Nutrition is obviously the most important, but if they won't eat it, there's not much point insisting. So, what they like is what determines what I buy.
What is the most important reason for buying this brand? See above.
Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify)Local pet supply chain.
How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like? Trial and error -- they don't eat what they don't like.
Your age, gender, marital status? 58, female, married

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many are mixed breed? both
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why?

Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify)

dry and wet food because Miagi cannot have his food without wet cat food

What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? different varieties, they love the salmon flavor. I buy fancy feast and sometimes special kitty
How many cans do you buy per week? well we get 3 packs of 4 for 2 weeks
What is the most important reason for buying this brand? Nutrition
Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) Supermarket since we dont have a pet smart

How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like? because they eat it, if they didn't like it they wouldnt eat it
Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? yes
Do you greet your cats when arriving home? of course

Your age, gender, marital status? 20, female, single

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many cats do you own? 6
How many are mixed breed? 6
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify) I give them a variety of dry and canned found as they have a tendency to 'get bored' of the same foods over and over again
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? Hill's Feline, Felix
How many cans do you buy per week? 6
How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- taste, nutrition, price, coupon, flavors variety/selection, looks like human food taste, nutrition, price, cats are happy and look forward to eating it
What is the most important reason for buying this brand? Hill's (nutrition) Felix (price)
Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) Pet store
How do cat owners know what brand their cats like? Their cats can't wait for their next meal and their cats eat all their food! Cats looks and is healthy.
Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? Yes definitely
Your age, gender, marital status? 29, F, married

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many cats do you own? - 2
How many are pure bred? - Neither (0)
How many are mixed breed? - Both (2)
What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify) - Nutro Natural Choice Dry mostly, with canned wet food as treats maybe a few times a week
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? - usually Nutro
How many cans do you buy per week? - 1 or 2
- Most important is nutrition
- Second is price
- Taste (well, what I believe my cats think tastes good)
- Flavors
- Coupons
- Looks like human food
What is the most important reason for buying this brand? - Good ingredients and a decent price
Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) - Petco
How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like? - What they will eat without being forced to
Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? - Yes
Do you greet your cats when arriving home? - Of course!

Your age, gender, marital status? - 21, Female, In a relationship but not married

witchykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What type of cat food do you feed them? Science Diet Why? Quality/health benefits Multiple choice- dry
What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? N/A
How many cans do you buy per week? N/A
How important are the following in selecting a brand of cat food?- nutrition
Where do you purchase the cat food? Petsmart or local pet shop
How do cat ownsers know what brand their cats like? I'm a mean cat mommy. they eat what I tell them to!
Your age, gender, marital status? 34, female, married

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many cats do you own? 6

How many are pure bred? 1

How many are mixed breed?5

What type of cat food do you feed them? Why? Multiple choice- dry, canned, semi moist, combination (please specify) Cominbation, free feed dry, canned 4 times a week

What brand(s) of canned food do you buy? Friskies and Pro Plan

How many cans do you buy per week? 12

Nutrition and price

Where do you purchase the cat food? Supermarket? Specialty store? Other (please specify) Petstore

How do cat owners know what brand their cats like? Don't know about other owners, but mine won't eat it if they don't like it.

Do you refer yourself as your cat(s)' parents? Sometimes

Your age, gender, marital status? 37, female, single