Baby kitten is acting funny

matt300zxt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just had kittens a few weeks ago and only 1 has survived

She's kidna stopped letting it nurse and mostly ignores it until it squals. We've been bottle feeding it this special kitty milk or whatever. Anyways, after we give it some through the little feeder, it most of the time squals really loud and starts kinda convulsing on the floor and it's tummy gets really tight and it squirms for a few seconds, then its tummy loosens up and it goes limp. I don't get paid till later this week and can't afford to take it to the vet. Anyone have any sort of idea what might be causing this so I might have an idea of what the cost will be?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what is going on.But, I wanted to say that I am sending well wishes and good vibes your way.
If the rest of the litter died.......do you know what from?Maybe mom stopped feeding it because there is something wrong with the kit.

I would CALL your Vet and ask if they have any info or advice.Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt300zxt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well when it squals and goes into its little fit, she licks it's bottom, hopefully that's all the problem is, just not used to having to pee yet or something. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow, I just noticed it doing it tonight when I got home from work.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happened to the rest of the litter? If mom is ignoring this last kitten, perhaps there is a reason. It may be unhealthy for her to reject it.

The tummy thing sounds like its belly is full and the mom would lick the kitten to help him eliminate till he can do it on his own. After feeding you have to stimulate the kitten by rubbing the belly with a warm wash cloth.

This kitten sounds like it may not survive long.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
are you feeding the kitten like a baby on it's back? do you know how to stimulate the bowels? are you sure you want to take the risk of this one dying on you too? would it be possible to take it to the vets and leave it there for recovery and adoption? your vets may also help you out with the payments if you want to keep the kitten. by letting you pay later or in installments.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
are you feeding the kitten like a baby on it's back?
I know this was a question for the OP...but it is important that kittens be fed in a PRONE position....all 4 feet on the ground with the head tilted slightly upward. Feeding it like a baby can cause the formula to go into the kitten's lungs and it can die.

Matt...is mom cat kept indoors?? She needs to remain indoors only and away from intact males until she can be spayed.

Katie

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

I know this was a question for the OP...but it is important that kittens be fed in a PRONE position....all 4 feet on the ground with the head tilted slightly upward. Feeding it like a baby can cause the formula to go into the kitten's lungs and it can die.

Matt...is mom cat kept indoors?? She needs to remain indoors only and away from intact males until she can be spayed.

Katie
yeh it was i didn't want to seem redundant or patronising if they already knew that so i thought i would ask first then explain the hows and whys.