Help with stray please

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
About a month ago we had some bad weather come through and after it was over there was a white cat on my patio. He was very frightened and wouldnt let me approach him. I started to put food out for him. I asked around my neighborhood and no one knew who he was. I called around to several shelters to see about a missing white cat as well as, post signs. The post woman also said she would ask about a missing cat. He stays on my porch daily now. Today as I went to feed him, he approached me and allowed me to pet him. When he rolled over on his back I noticed little red dots all over his belly, legs and chin. I then put him in a carrier and carried him to the shelter, to find out what I can do about a stray cat. They basically told me they would give me some advantage, a certificate to neuter (because he is not neutered) and I could take him to my regular vet on Monday. (which I will do) And just leave him outside my home. I feel so bad for him. I want to bring him inside, but I have 5 cats that have been going through aggression issues between themselves since June 1. I dont really know what to do with him. He has a neighborhood cat (that has a home) that comes and eats, too. They both are not neutered but there are no signs of hostility between them. Please advise how to approach this. The places I called advised me that they do not accept stray animals.

This is the neighborhood cat that comes and sits with him all day.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you check with your neighbour who has the cat who keeps him company? Maybe he or she would be willing to take a second cat, especially as they are already buddies.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Aww he's gorgeous
Its hard to believe that nobody is missing him.

He may just have been disorientated by the storm and lost his way home.

Do you have a 'free' local newspaper that you could place an advert in,they can be good at finding owners.

Also has the shelter kept a record of his details in case anybody goes there looking for him.I would report him at the police station too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will post in the newspaper. The guy who owns the orange kitty wont even take him to be neutered. He thinks its unmanly. He also doesnt feed his kitty because he thinks if he eats cat food, he wont eat the chipmunks in the neighborhood.(Thats a whole other story) But I have fed his kitty for 3 years now. I will take this cat to be neutered on Monday, but if his owners show up, have I broken a law in having him neutered ? And how will he relate to the orange kitty after he has been neutered when the orange cat isnt ?

The shelteres that have spoken to have offered no info as to what to do, not taking info from me, just the flea meds, the neuter voucher and telling me to just leave him outside.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the law in your country pam,but I know animals are considered property in the uk.If I were to neuter somebody elses cat and the owner found out or have that cat put to sleep,then that could be 'criminal damage to property'.
Wether the police take it seriously though is unlikely,but thats just through my own experience.

The best thing about the cat being a male is there would be 'little' evidence to show he had been neutered.

Me personally,I Think,I would just take the cat in and have it neutered.
It would be hard to prove it was me that had it done.
And once its done its done.
He will go in early morning and be out after afew hours,nobody would even miss him.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, if I hear from no one by Monday, I will talke him in. He does seem healthy with the exceptions of the red dots. Someone certainly must be missing him. If I hear from no one, I may try to intre
grate him into my home.... maybe ..... I just feel so bad for him. Hes been here a month already. Heres some more pics. Ive been calling him Dante.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry I thought you meant neutering the ginger

If you have had the white stray for the past month and have made every attempt to find his owners then i'm sure that cat would be yours now,legally,so i don't see any reason why you can't have him neutered

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you will take him in on Monday, you should probably just take him in now. He'll be safer that way, and you'll worry about him less.

The red dots sound like harvest mites to me.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats exactly where I should have taken him this morning. I was just confused as to what to do since I have never had other cats inside whenever I have taken in a stray, like I do now. The vets are closed now and will not open until Monday morning.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep him isolated from your own cats, both for possible health reasons, and for kitty politics reasons.

Good luck!

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pami said:
I will post in the newspaper. The guy who owns the orange kitty wont even take him to be neutered. He thinks its unmanly. He also doesnt feed his kitty because he thinks if he eats cat food, he wont eat the chipmunks in the neighborhood.(Thats a whole other story) But I have fed his kitty for 3 years now.

That jerk should be reported for animal cruelty. I never heard of someone having a cat and not feeding it. Not to mention not getting him neutered and letting the poor think run the streets. Does he ever let the cat go inside?

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

I don't know about the law in your country pam,but I know animals are considered property in the uk.If I were to neuter somebody elses cat and the owner found out or have that cat put to sleep,then that could be 'criminal damage to property'.
Wether the police take it seriously though is unlikely,but thats just through my own experience.

The best thing about the cat being a male is there would be 'little' evidence to show he had been neutered.

Me personally,I Think,I would just take the cat in and have it neutered.
It would be hard to prove it was me that had it done.
And once its done its done.
He will go in early morning and be out after afew hours,nobody would even miss him.
I would take him in to be neutered. The owner won't even know. And keep feeding him.

Since you can't euthanize the owner, this is the only sane thing to do.

By the way, the original poster: you are an angel.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have placed the white kitty in my basement with food, water, litter and a bed. He just seems really lonely and scared. I guess I should have done this all sooner, but I guess I thought he would find his way home. I feel much better that he is safe now.

To clear some things up ..... the orange cat ...... the owner denies that he doesnt feed his cat ..... I was told this by other neighbors ...... and when his cat was regurgitating chipmunks on my doorstep, I assumed it to be true. But I cannot say it to be positively true, so I should not have said it. Either way, I do feed the orange cat daily. Hes an extremely friendly cat and hes neighborly with everyone.

The white cat is the cat Im taking to have neutered on Monday. Hes skittish and scared. He seems young to me. I just wish I knew the routes to take to help him find a home. I really would love to keep him. He just started trusting me today. But I dont know if he would be happy in my household. 2 of my male cats have been having aggressive issues that I have had to keep them separated while we work through their issues.

I have had no response to posts I have posted nor can I find in any of the lost posts of anyone missing a white cat, and its been a month now. The local shelters havent helped me at all. But I really didnt take it as serious as I should have, until today when I noticed the red dots on him. Perhaps my vet, who caters to cats only, and has been known to accept many many cats in her office, can help me with this situation. Anyway, thank you guys. Hopefully by Monday I will know more of a direction to go with this.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck. You are doing a good thing. Remember just one step at a time, and you can travel the world.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dante is at the vets now. They are full to capacity with cats right now and cannot take any more in (as I said they do take in strays and unwanted kitties) They did tell me they would help me place him, tho.

They will neuter him tomorrow. Hes being tested for FIV and feline leukemia and vaccinated also. At least hes not alone for to night. Hes been in my basement which is not the prettiest place to be. Everytime I would go down to see him, he would come running to me. Which is a huge change from him being so scared of me for 4 weeks. I have fallen for this kitty. Hes so beautiful and a very kind little boy. I just wish I could figure a way for him to stay with me.

Easy hates other cats. She barely tolerates her kids, shes a moody girl. And Ducky and Tino hate each other right now. We'll see, tho.

Please send some vibes my way, for him and his life and some decision making on my part.

Since, my cats are all mother and children and thats the way its always been. They havent been around other cats ever. (except maybe Easy) how would that work if I tried to bring him into my home? Kiko and Laura still try to nurse Easy, so I know they regard her as their Mom. Hmmmm. I dont know.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dante is a beautiful boy. Could he live in your basement until a permanent decision is made, or until the aggression issues with the others are settled? It would be a shame to do through all this with him and then let him back out as a stray. He might stand a better chance of finding a home since he has been neutered. Sending out good wishes to all of you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I want to bring him inside, but I have 5 cats that have been going through aggression issues between themselves since June 1. I dont really know what to do with him. He has a neighborhood cat (that has a home) that comes and eats, too. They both are not neutered but there are no signs of hostility between them.
These two fertile tomcats not at all hostile to each other suggest they (and especially your new white) are agreeable nonaggressive fellows with good social competence.

And when he is well spayed he will be still more pleasant, and your cats will not see him as possible threat either.

Remember, TNR-ed feral male are accepted into the female colonies as one of the guys, whole tomcats not.

Nice also to hear your local shelter gave you adequate help without any fuss, althought they couldnt take him in.

I guess you have your sixth cat.

Bless you for your good work.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well they have estimated him to be about 7 years old. I thought for sure he was much younger. Hes now up to date on all his shots.

They said he has already been neutered. Which didnt appear to look like it. But my Tino doesnt look like he has either (and he has). I guess some guys have just got it like that.

The receptionist said I would have to speak to the Doc when I go to pick him up as to exactly what the red dots are.(she didnt know) But she did say they gave him a cortozone shot to help.

She said he tested negative to leukemia and FIV.

They dewormed him, although she couldnt tell me if he had worms or not. They had to sedate him to check his red dots, so it should be a couple of more hours until I go pick him up.

There is a regular customer that comes into the restaurant all the time that says he wants him. He says his father is a veterinarian. He wanted me to email him pictures last night. I did. He says he would be indoor only. But I dont know, after learning so much on here about being careful. I guess I could ask him to cover half of the $175, I dont know, we'll see.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, he already neutered... No wonder he was so agreeable with the other than. Our Muskis has quite big sacks, and he still looks very male. Vagis´s sacks are much smaller, it is easy to see on him he is neutered.

OK, it is good news. He will be more easy accepted in your group. Homeless Tomcats or fresh neutered CAN sometimes try to to take over the revire and be topcat. Especielly if they not shy.

He is an agreeable and social competent neutered male. With a little luck there shouldnt be any problems.

Look up if this customer HAS a father who is veterinarian... Funny people exagerrate sometimes. Yes, him paying some is excellent idea. If something is for free people tend to believe it is worthless.
Let him pay to Red Cross if not any other way.
If yes yes, - maybe. You decide.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Look up if this customer HAS a father who is veterinarian... Funny people exagerrate sometimes. Yes, him paying some is excellent idea. If something is for free people tend to believe it is worthless.
Let him pay to Red Cross if not any other way.
If yes yes, - maybe. You decide.
That's good advice.

Definately be careful - and make sure you've made up your own mind first about whether you'd prefer to keep him.