How much do I tip for a massage??

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm getting a massage in a couple of hours, in home. Am I supposed to tip for this?? I'm still getting used to what to tip and what not to tip here in the US....

If I keep using this guy and tip well do you think he's likely to do a better massage, or for longer next time? Is it like an "investment"?

He's charging $85 for the massage which I think is kinda expensive anyway, but it is in the privacy of my own home which is nice... Would $10 be ok? Too much? Too little???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Really??? Wow, ok! Maybe I should call it $100.... Gee, that's a lot! I should become a massage therapist!

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Really??? Wow, ok! Maybe I should call it $100.... Gee, that's a lot! I should become a massage therapist!
You should.

I've looked into it..And they do make a good pretty penny.
But as with all jobs, there are downsides, including carpal tunnel faster..and many muscle problems in your hands.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never experienced a 'real' massage....been thinking I'd like someone to send me to a spa for some papmering for my bd next month.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I only tip my hairdresser and the pizza guy! Oh and the grocery baggers on the base. Not sure I use any other services that require tiping.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the rule is 15% for hairstylists, manicurists, masseuesses (the luxury professions).

We do seem to tip for everything in the US. I don't mind though. Most of the people we tip are doing difficult things for not a lot of money. I try to tip more if I know the provider is a single mom. (My sister is a single mom, and I know how hard it is.)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I got out $100, I figured that would be enough. Then my one hour massage turned into a 2 hour massage!! The guy was really nice, he was excellent, and he lost track of time (and neither one of us had anything on after which was good!). He even offered to give my hubby a 5 minute massage on his neck or whatever he wanted as well!

I wish I had have had more cash on me, he was just wonderful!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! $85 for a massage. The salon I work in gets $60 for an hour, $75 for 90 minutes, I get half. I guess it depends on where you are in the US. A lot of places are over $100.
We really don't end up making as much money as most people think. I might make $30 an hour before taxes, but I may only work 4-5 hours a week. The stuff you read and the schools paint a rosier picture than it actually is. I love being a massage therapist, and I really like most of my clients, but if I had seen it from a purely financial aspect, I might have done something else. I would not give it up for anything now.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This guy came to me - it's cheaper if I go to him. He's also got a gig working at Google 4 days a week. They provide the rooms, sheets and towels, the good Google food and the clients, he supplies the table/chair and oils.

I think he's on a good wicket!!

vicious vaness

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think anything between 10-20% is acceptable. I usually do a base of 15% and then if they do a really good job, I'll do more.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Then my one hour massage turned into a 2 hour massage!! The guy was really nice, he was excellent, and he lost track of time (and neither one of us had anything on after which was good!)
Alright..So why am I the only one who doesnt get this one.
Neither of you had anything on afterwards? WHAT?!