Need Advice - Roommate's new kitten

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our roommate has agreed to take in a kitten from one of the neighbours down the street. He is a male and will be 5 weeks old today. The woman who owns the mom is planning on giving him to us tonight. I'm very sketchy on this....5 weeks is very young to be separated from mom and sibs.....However, I'm wondering if he wouldn't be better off with us. Obviously this woman isn't great with her cat care, or she wouldn't have a bunch of unplanned kittens from an unvaccinated cat. And she seems to want to get rid of the kittens ASAP, which doesn't make me feel like he'd be safe and well cared for in the long term. I just get a vibe from her that tells me she doesn't have the same kitten care priorities that we have.

We've discussed it and the kitten will be based in his new daddy's bedroom until he has been vetchecked and wormed, at which point he'll be introduced to Lola, who (fingers crossed) should be able to teach him the ropes of litter box and feeding (apparently he's already on wet food, but he can't be completely comfortable with it yet, can he?). Lola is very snuggly with other cats and should be comforting to the little guy. Our other cat, Sam, is less tolerant of newbies, so it'll be slow going getting him together with the kitten.

So, what do you guys think? What would you do if you were in our shoes?
And, if we take him, what type of specialized care will he need?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs to spend some time talking to the lady. Is there any way she would allow the kitten to spend at least one more week with the Mom? That will increase its chances for survival. And what are the plans for Mom. Maybe your roomie can offer to help pay for the spay, so she will quit having kittens.

At least call around and find a low cost clinic where maybe she could have the cat spayed and vaccinated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

He needs to spend some time talking to the lady. Is there any way she would allow the kitten to spend at least one more week with the Mom? That will increase its chances for survival. And what are the plans for Mom. Maybe your roomie can offer to help pay for the spay, so she will quit having kittens.

At least call around and find a low cost clinic where maybe she could have the cat spayed and vaccinated.
Unfortunately, my roommate is financially strapped.....this kitten is all he can commit to. He also has a young son, so any extra money he has goes there. He just can't afford to pay anything toward spaying this lady's cat. We can't either. It's all we can do to keep up with bills, the accouts are overdrawn due to an emergency vet visit for Max (poor guys anal gland had burst, but he's right as rain now) and we just can't spare anything. I will look into low cost spay options, but frankly, I'm not holding my breath. I think this woman would always find something else to spend the money on.

I'll have my roommate inquire about whether the kitten can stay longer. Wish us luck.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Unfortunately, my roommate is financially strapped.....this kitten is all he can commit to. He also has a young son, so any extra money he has goes there. He just can't afford to pay anything toward spaying this lady's cat. We can't either. It's all we can do to keep up with bills, the accouts are overdrawn due to an emergency vet visit for Max (poor guys anal gland had burst, but he's right as rain now) and we just can't spare anything. I will look into low cost spay options, but frankly, I'm not holding my breath. I think this woman would always find something else to spend the money on.

I'll have my roommate inquire about whether the kitten can stay longer. Wish us luck.
I would not take a kitten at 5 weeks of age...if your roommate is financially strapped...I would not take any kitten. Kittens require lots of vet visits initially....3 seperate visits for immunizations, rabies, deworming, spaying or neutering. It can cost several hundreds of dollars. What I would recommend instead is to take an adult that has already been fixed and is up to date on shots.

As far as your neighbor goes...I would direct her here....she really needs to have the mom fixed. In many states it is actually illegal to place kittens prior to 7/8 weeks so she may be breaking the law by placing them at such a young age.

Katie

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you mention shoes and it flagged something for me. when i worked at the Battersea Dog and Cats Home here in London we had young kittens come in all the time. as well as having the kitten in a quarentine also be very careful about the other cats touching noses or even paws under the door. wash your hands after handling the kitten and maybe even change your clothes, shoes or socks. i know this seems a bit extreme but you don't know this woman and for all you know the kittens could have FIV or FIP both are deadly and quite contagious. hope this helps a little and doesn't scare you!! totally not ment to. just thought you would want to take the best procautions.

I also have to agree with the above. if your roomate isn't finantially sound don't take on a animal until he is. they are live animals and as worried as you are about the kitten having a proper home and care the same goes with what kind of home it's going to! if anything drop a line to your local animal protection or the ASPCA to go check this woman out. she really shouldn't be giving the kittens away this early.
good luck and congrats on the new baby!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that there is a difference between being well off enough to afford a kitten and well off enough to afford a kitten (considering you have to pay around 150+ for all the vet checks, vaccs, food, equipment etc..) AND a spay for someone elses cat.

TNR1 is a wealth of info for low cost clinics that you could direct this woman too.

Sadly, there are lots of unwanted kittens out there, I would much rather find another than take a 5week old kitten that could have a whole wealth of problems. Especially if money is an issue.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi i took in 2 kitten's who was 4 week's old as there owner was going away on holiday (just init for the holiday money) i took them on i had to hand feed them lactol as they wasn't weened yet and still had to stimulate them!! after a few day's they started using the cat box on there own and started eating small amount's of food , they are 14 week's old now and healthy if u do take the kitten on take it for a quick vet check just to make sure everything is well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm gonna clear up a few things.
First, my roommate has been saving for the kitten and has the money for a kitten plan, which will include all shots and the neuter. If there is more needing to be done, I know he will find the cash somewhere. He just isn't able to start paying for care of someone else's cat.
Second, we have talked to the woman, and she's insisting that she knows all about kittens, that they're fine to go and wanted them out last night. And I mean insisting, so basically if we didn't want him, god knows what she'd do with the kittens, but she seems adament that they not stay another day. I shudder to think of them in a cardboard box or something worse.
So, she brought over the little guy, who is actually a good size and nicely chubby. I told her bring over the other one, a girl, cuz she had someone lined up to take her, but I know that lady and I know she's actually drowned a kitten once, so NO WAY was I letting one go to her. Plus, at that age, they'll be more comfortable together. They're both eating, Royal Cannin baby food, for kittens as young as 1 month. They're actually even using the litter box, though we expect a few accidents. Today is a holiday here, but I'm gonna try to get them to the vet tomorrow for a once over.
What else....oh yeah.....precautions have been taking. There is no intermingling of animals, as the door is closed and there's a towel under. Everyone is washing hands like it's the plague lol.
So, now that it's settled that we have them, any advice for their care or things to be watched for would be appreciated.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Okay, I'm gonna clear up a few things.
First, my roommate has been saving for the kitten and has the money for a kitten plan, which will include all shots and the neuter. If there is more needing to be done, I know he will find the cash somewhere. He just isn't able to start paying for care of someone else's cat.
Second, we have talked to the woman, and she's insisting that she knows all about kittens, that they're fine to go and wanted them out last night. And I mean insisting, so basically if we didn't want him, god knows what she'd do with the kittens, but she seems adament that they not stay another day. I shudder to think of them in a cardboard box or something worse.
So, she brought over the little guy, who is actually a good size and nicely chubby. I told her bring over the other one, a girl, cuz she had someone lined up to take her, but I know that lady and I know she's actually drowned a kitten once, so NO WAY was I letting one go to her. Plus, at that age, they'll be more comfortable together. They're both eating, Royal Cannin baby food, for kittens as young as 1 month. They're actually even using the litter box, though we expect a few accidents. Today is a holiday here, but I'm gonna try to get them to the vet tomorrow for a once over.
What else....oh yeah.....precautions have been taking. There is no intermingling of animals, as the door is closed and there's a towel under. Everyone is washing hands like it's the plague lol.
So, now that it's settled that we have them, any advice for their care or things to be watched for would be appreciated.
sounds like you have it under control!
just keep their bellies full and try to excersize them and keep them warm and i think you will be just fine let us know if anythng comes up that worries you!