Cat is vomiting frequently after moving...

bower12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

Recently moved apartments, and have moved my cat from my father's house, down to my new place. Unfortunately, he has been vomiting 2 or 3 times per day since he's been moved. Is this normal? Could he be nervous about the new place? Any suggestions would help a lot.

- Mike

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site!!

Sorry we had to meet under these circumstances.

Have you looked all through the new place to see if maybe there is something he could have gotten into? New plants, something left in a closet, garage supplies, etc. If the place has recently been cleaned with disinfectants he could eaasily have been in contact with something toxic.

Is there new carpet anywhere? Sometimes the dyes in fabrics and carpets produce illness in cats.

Have you changed his foods? that might do it.
Is he a nervous cat?

It is of course impossible to tell from here, but with vomiting the main thing you need to do is make sure he isn't getting dehydrated, and stay aware of whether he is keeping any food down. It's now Saturday afternoon if you are in the US- not too late to get to a vet, and if he is vomiting that much it is certainly something to consider. If you don't go today and he gets sicker it might be Monday before he could be seen.
On the other hand, he could have just eaten a bug or something.

When you say 2-3 times a day since moving, how many days is that? If he is vomiting 2-3 times a day for one day it might not be a big deal, but 2-3 times a day for a week is getting to be a real problem. Cats have to eat, and they have to stay hydrated or else all sorts of nasty things happen.
So how long has it been, exactly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bower12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill

Welcome to The Cat Site!!

Sorry we had to meet under these circumstances.

Have you looked all through the new place to see if maybe there is something he could have gotten into? New plants, something left in a closet, garage supplies, etc. If the place has recently been cleaned with disinfectants he could eaasily have been in contact with something toxic.

Is there new carpet anywhere? Sometimes the dyes in fabrics and carpets produce illness in cats.

Have you changed his foods? that might do it.
Is he a nervous cat?

It is of course impossible to tell from here, but with vomiting the main thing you need to do is make sure he isn't getting dehydrated, and stay aware of whether he is keeping any food down. It's now Saturday afternoon if you are in the US- not too late to get to a vet, and if he is vomiting that much it is certainly something to consider. If you don't go today and he gets sicker it might be Monday before he could be seen.
On the other hand, he could have just eaten a bug or something.

When you say 2-3 times a day since moving, how many days is that? If he is vomiting 2-3 times a day for one day it might not be a big deal, but 2-3 times a day for a week is getting to be a real problem. Cats have to eat, and they have to stay hydrated or else all sorts of nasty things happen.
So how long has it been, exactly?
Hi and thank you for the reply,

We did just take him to the vet, and he had a slight fever so the vet gave us some antibiotics for him, as well as gave him 3 shots for naseau, an antibiotic, and a tranquilizer to relax him. He is somewhat of a timid cat, he's a real pushover. This is the 5th day we've been in the apartment. We're going to give him his antibiotics and hope all of this will go away. Thanks for the reply.

- Mike

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am very happy that you chose to see a vet.

As he is feverish it is a really good thing that you did- he could really have gone downhill before Monday. Please post back and let us know how it works out- what's his name, BTW?

Hope he's feeling better soon.

bower12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill

I am very happy that you chose to see a vet.

As he is feverish it is a really good thing that you did- he could really have gone downhill before Monday. Please post back and let us know how it works out- what's his name, BTW?

Hope he's feeling better soon.
His name is Clyde and I love him very much. Unfortunately after we took him to the vet and began the antibiotics he was sick again. I had to take him to the emergency animal hospital here. They're keeping him overnight and they have done a Barium test on him to see if anything was lodged in his intestines, but they said he looks just fine. They also did bloodwork and x-rays on him which all seemed fine as well, so I'm not sure what is wrong with Clyde.
I just want him to be ok. I have to pick him up tomorrow and bring him to my regular vet for the day to see how he is with eating solid food as he is on an IV right now. Wish for the best!

- Mike

bower12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FYI,

Here is a picture of my little buddy.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope that the news is good when you go and pick up Cylde...what a cutie pie.

Welcome to the site btw!

bower12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And one more because I love him

ann demi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could be trauma of new location and environment. Have you kept same food, same litter, same box? Is he now alone when at prior residence he had company and/or noise thorough the day? etc. etc.

Lot of factors. He's obviously over-stressed. Dehyrdation is a serious concern. If you're comfortable with his hydration and don't want to run off to the vet, try bringing as much as the familiar back to him as possible, change
food to wet, "stomach-sensitive," and bring in a container of fresh, green grass into the apt.

Ann Demi
http://anndemi.a1s2d3.hop.clickbank.net

bower12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Ann,

Clyde was previously alone most of the day, but my girlfriend and I have been home all this week. Perhaps when we begin work again this week he will have lots of time to explore and adjust. We are still feeding him the same food as usual. Although we did buy a different litter box (same litter though) he has had shown no issues with going into the litter box to do his business. Is frequent vomiting something that can possibly be due to a new environment? He was throwing up two to three times per day, but on Saturday he threw up 6 times before I decided I should take him to the vet. At first he threw up his food, but then he threw up the yellowish bile stuff because his stomach was empty. Although, it did seem as if he was keeping some water down before I took him down to the emergency vet.

bower12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Clyde is still at the vet.
He's on an IV and the vet said he won't eat.
Anyone have any ideas? I'm really worried...

bower12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey!

Clyde came home today and he's exploring around the new place! I think he is doing all better now. Thank you for all of the kind words and let's hope he feels much better. The vet said he stuffed himself full of food last night and didn't throw up at all!

- Mike