My kitten drools

iben

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

I've just recently gotten a new kitten, he's about 15 weeks old, and seems perfectly healthy and content. He's and indoor cat and really playfull and active.
There's just one minor thing I'm a little concerned about; he drools a lot. Some times when he's been sleeping, there'll be wet spots on the couch or the bed, and when he purrs, there's often noticible drops of drool hanging from his mouth.
This isn't something that bothers me at all, but I've just never experienced this with any other cat before.
So now my question is, has anyone ever had a cat that drooled, and should I be worried about this? I mean, could there be something wrong with his health?

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of cats will drool when content or relaxed. My cat Ivo will often leave wet spots on my clothes from drooling. However, if you are concerned a trip to the vet to make sure nothing physical is wrong wouldn't hurt.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give the vet or vet tech/nurse a quick call just to make sure it's normal - cats are pretty quirky, so I imagine it's fine.

Still, if it's not, you'll be glad you did.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the cat was older I'd be thinking about tooth or mouth problems, but at 15 weeks he's probably just sleeping deeply and letting some slip.

Like you've never done it yourself

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A kitty we had when I was growing up drooled horribly whenever she was happy, starting from when she was a kitten until she passed away at 13. She used to sleep on my chest, and I'd wake up in the morning completely soaked from her drool! My mom asked the vet about it several times, and was told it was nothing to worry about.

thr33 cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My oldest Able does that too. She usually only drools when she is getting a long rub or when she's
It's something that she's always done though.

ann demi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister had a cat for years that consistently purred and drooled on whomever was petting her. It appeared to simply be a hard-wired behavior that lasted the cat's entire lifetime. She solved the problem by keeping the sweet critter as an outdoor/garage/inhouse-to-feed cat. Everyone in the family (including Tiger the slobbering kitty) seemed to be happy with that arrangement.

Ann Demi
"Solutions to Cat Behavior Problems"
http://anndemi.a1s2d3.hop.clickbank.net

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by thr33 cats

My oldest Able does that too. She usually only drools when she is getting a long rub or when she's
It's something that she's always done though.
Yeah, my cats drool then too. Especially when I'm brushing them on the sides of their face which they absolutely love!!!

seesee123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it might be to do with bad teeth or oral problems i would take him to the vet and check that his teeth are fine and that his gums are pinkish color