Electric Bills...

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, I just checked the mail and got our first electric bill since the heat wave started. It was $178.00, up from $85 last month.

Anyone else have ridiculous electric bills coming in? This heat needs to stop!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was $177. That is about normal for us but i think it will be more next month.

cat_eyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i am really not to suppose to know. but our electric bill is $156.60

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its funny, our HVAC guy was here yesterday (we've had some issues with our furnace since we bought our house and are trying to get it taken care of before the warranty runs out and cold weather hits.)

He went into a 15 minute lecture on how to most effectively use our A/C.

First he took our walls and furnitures temps (79 degrees for both.) He said during the daytime the unit is battling outside hot air and residual heat in the inside, so we should run our A/C all night instead of turning up the thermostat. That is supposed to lower the residual heat at night and allow it to work more effectively during the day.

He also said that an A/C running is actually very energy efficeint, it is the kicking on and off that requires the most power.

He told us to use the cheapest air filters too, and change them often. The fancy ones like Flitrete are so dense, its makes the A/C work harder (think trying to breathe thru a sock vs. a screen). You can cut out allergens by pouring bleach somewhere (don't ask me) every few months.

Just FYI. I'm going to test it this month and see if it works.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are really lucky. We've been running our AC non-stop since about June, and our bills are only about $60-$70 a month
We have a 1 bedroom apartment thats good sized, so we're pretty lucky to get off so cheap, while its been so hot!

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last months was $166 but I dread to see the one being billed on August 9th - that is when they come to read the meter.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is exactly the reason that I suffer through the heat with only fans in my home. I don't have the resources to pay the extra electricity for a/c.

Sorry to hear that so many of you are getting such large bills - hang in there!

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$220
Dan insists on having the central air on 24/7

I think thats just plain nuts! we close off one room (the snake room) cause we keep the temps nice and warm in that room. we keep the blinds closed all day...its just crazy!!!

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was around 110 this month, usually b/t 70 and 90. I know it would help to close the blinds, but I just hate to do that to my kitties, they love looking outside! But compared to some of you people, I know I am lucky with a $100 bill!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my meter gets read on the 14th and I am not looking forward to that bill, interesting tidbit about running the a/c all night, I was shutting mine off at night to give the system a break

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our last 2 were $166 and $161. That wouldn't be too bad except we live in a one bedroom apartment without a washer & dryer!

List of groups to hate:
IRS
Electric companies
Insurance companies

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

Its funny, our HVAC guy was here yesterday (we've had some issues with our furnace since we bought our house and are trying to get it taken care of before the warranty runs out and cold weather hits.)

He went into a 15 minute lecture on how to most effectively use our A/C.

First he took our walls and furnitures temps (79 degrees for both.) He said during the daytime the unit is battling outside hot air and residual heat in the inside, so we should run our A/C all night instead of turning up the thermostat. That is supposed to lower the residual heat at night and allow it to work more effectively during the day.

He also said that an A/C running is actually very energy efficeint, it is the kicking on and off that requires the most power.

He told us to use the cheapest air filters too, and change them often. The fancy ones like Flitrete are so dense, its makes the A/C work harder (think trying to breathe thru a sock vs. a screen). You can cut out allergens by pouring bleach somewhere (don't ask me) every few months.

Just FYI. I'm going to test it this month and see if it works.
He's right. It takes more energy to pull the humidity and heat out of the air after having it off or turned up then it does to keep it consistantly running at a level temp.
(my dad's been an a/c tech for 40 years)
Thats why my bill is always under $100 even in the heat of summer!

silverpawz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine was $235 for last month. I nearly choked on my coffee when I opened the bill. I have to keep the air running all the time when it's above 80 in the house since the dogs overheat too easily.

I am not a happy camper about this bill.

lucat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ours was $236 & that's on the budget plan
I'm looking into switching electricity suppliers now that the companies in NY are deregulated-savings maybe only $25 a month but that's stil 25 for me to put towards oil which is outrageous -Our house is 1/2 heated with oil & 1/2 electric-Need 3 jobs soon to pay for being able to just live

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was 150$: for a 670 sq ft apartment.

Ya. I can't imagine about you guys with big houses.