thinking of getting another cat

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband is actually warming up to the idea!!! He even mentioned another pedigreed possibility. . .

now of course i'm partial to Russians, but what about a bengal or a mau. What breed would work with Russian Blues (i know every cat is different!)

then of course what breed would LOOK good with him

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, you must get a bengal, so those of us who want one and who have met our cat quota can live vicariously through you!!!!

Really, I do think a bengal would be wonderful!!!!

Stoli is such a beauty...I used to have a Russian Blue mix cat...he was not purebred. I just loved him, and sadly, he passed in the care of my mom and dad 3 weeks ago last Monday...we got him when I was 12 (I'm 28 now)...

So glad to hear you're thinking of getting Stoli a buddy!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say it DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! But I do love Bengals. One day I will have one!!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay!! a new kitty, my friend has a Mau and she loves it, maybe one of those would be a nice addition

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

All I can say it DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! But I do love Bengals. One day I will have one!!
Me too! Right now, Harley is as close to a Bengal as I'll get!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what little I know about Russian Blue's, I've heard they're a fairly mellow cat, and somewhat delicate, and petite. Am I right on that? If I am, I don't think a Bengal would be a good match. I LOVE Bengal's, I have 2 of them, but they are high strung, extremely playful, and unbelievably active. They're loads of fun to have around, but I just don't know if a Bengal would make a good companion for a Russian Blue. My Bengal boy Simba, has my huge Siamese cat who is about 25 lb's, totally intimitaded. Simba is alot smaller than my BIG boy, but little Simba who weighs about 9 lb's, pounces on that cat all of the time, and has him running for hiding places. Now, Simba isn't mean, but he does enjoy a challange, and since my big Boy Shane is such a challange, Simba doesn't let up. The more upset Shane gets, the more Simba goes after him. So, I would say, it depends on the personality and stamina of your Russian Blue, as to whether you should get a Bengal. I have another little Siamese girl, and she and Simba are great friends. She chases him back, and they love each other. So, it just depends. But I promise you, Bengal's are a handful, and if you get one, you'll have to Bengal proof your house.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a rescue that needs a good home, there are all kinds of pedigrees in rescue. But I think its great that you are getting your kitty a friend.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

How about a shelter kitty?

They're the best kind and they are so grateful!
i second that! Chip was a shelter kitty - he's such a lovebug, & very placid with the girls. except when he wants some excitement

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

How about a persian?
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...t=92122&page=4
I second this 100%. I feel so bad for her situation and can't even imagine what she is going through. I know she would be forever grateful to find any of her babies a home, especially by someone who is on TCS. I saw you live in Maine, and she is in Cali, but look at it this way... the amount you spend on a Bengal or Mau, would about equal the amount of one of her gorgeous kitties, with shipping. And persians are such regal and elegant kitties. I only wish I could help her myself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hey guys thanks so much for your input. we have kept a shelter kitty as one of our options. Persians are long haired right? I think my allergies would really creep up with a long haired cat. Stoli sheds but it's not that bad on my allergies. I didn't realize Bengals were so 'crazy'
Stoli probably would be intimidated. He's lively, but he also just loves to be carried around the house in your arms.

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

hey guys thanks so much for your input. we have kept a shelter kitty as one of our options. Persians are long haired right? I think my allergies would really creep up with a long haired cat. Stoli sheds but it's not that bad on my allergies. I didn't realize Bengals were so 'crazy'
Stoli probably would be intimidated. He's lively, but he also just loves to be carried around the house in your arms.
Maybe you could look into allergy medication, or if you already have some, upping it?
Just a thought.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well I don't know about upping it. . .i already take pills/spray and weekly shots.
Plus, I used to have two long haired cats growing up - I've kinda had enough of them for awhile.....

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, persians have long hair, but it can be cut! Besides, think of how cozy it would be to cuddle with on one of those long Maine winter nights.

Whatever your choice, happy hunting!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what about a tonkinese???

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

what about a tonkinese???
Well, except for the long hair, I was going to suggest a Ragdoll. They are more of a medium hair, and quite mellow, I understand. I am getting my raggy from a cattery in Maine - tomorrow! She has more kittens there, I know!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oo, what cattery? maybe it's near me. . .does anyone here have a tonkinese?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

oo, what cattery? maybe it's near me. . .does anyone here have a tonkinese?
That would be Celestialrags. She's in Norridgewock. She has a BEAUTIFUL chocolate male from her last litter - New Smudge's brother!