upset tummy?

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orig. from Texas.. Currently in Minnesota (again)
I know that if you switch a dogs food it can make them sick but what about cats. i have been slowly mixing my cats food with another brand in hopes to eventually get them eating a better food BUT since i have added a bit more of the new food merlins poo has been runny and quite stinky and tonight he missed the litterbox alltogether and it got all over the floor.could it be that the food has upset his tummy? I am going to call the vet in the morning but he is not doing anything unusual except the poo thing. salem and ailey are not doing this at all theirs is normal.just thought i would ask.

cat_eyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i think it might be the new food. what kind of food did your cat eat before
you swiched?what kind of food is he eating now?

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, changing your cat's food cat cause GI upset. We have to be very gradual in transitioning food. You may want to consider adding acidophilus to their meals. It's also possible that Merlin's tummy just isn't going to take well to this new food, and he may do better with another healthy alternative. If he should continue to have runny diarrhea, he needs to be seen by his Vet, as this could cause dehydration quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info. Sorry I havent responded I have been working ungodly hours lol. I called the vet ans he said to with hold all food for 24 hours. make sure he has lots of fresh water. and after 24 hours to feed him about one teaspoon of food about every 2 hours and see if he still has an upset tummy. he hasnt thrown up today and his stool is starting to be "normal" again. h can eat in the morning so we shall see how it goes. thanks again

tutycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cats are more sensitive than dogs and many other animals, u should introduce new food bit by bit, so ur cat's tummy will get familiar with it and dont reject it.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom2SalemIsis

Thanks for the info. Sorry I havent responded I have been working ungodly hours lol. I called the vet and he said to with hold all food for 24 hours. make sure he has lots of fresh water. and after 24 hours to feed him about one teaspoon of food about every 2 hours and see if he still has an upset tummy. he hasnt thrown up today and his stool is starting to be "normal" again. he can eat in the morning so we shall see how it goes. thanks again
You must be all worn out with your awful hours! Hope Merlin is feeling better tonight!

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
my cat couldn't tolerate Felidae or Innova, each one was eaten well but it came up again straight away. While it's not the greatest food, she tolerate Nutro really well and so that's what she eats and I am trying a new dry food ( Wellness) because the local store gave me about six sample of different dry food to see which one she tolerated best ( They made a customer for life huh?) she wouldn't even touch the felidae dry and looked up at me as if I were crazy.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

my cat couldn't tolerate Felidae or Innova, each one was eaten well but it came up again straight away. While it's not the greatest food, she tolerate Nutro really well and so that's what she eats and I am trying a new dry food ( Wellness) because the local store gave me about six sample of different dry food to see which one she tolerated best ( They made a customer for life huh?) she wouldn't even touch the felidae dry and looked up at me as if I were crazy.
Hi,
I also use Felidae and Wellness Dry foods. KiKi does well on Felidae, but just loves Wellness - but, too much of it, and he gets loose stools - so I just give him a little as a treat. At least I'll know what I can feed him if he ever gets constipated

The sample of Felidae may have been old ??

The other two (Phoebe and Simon) also eat the Felidae and Wellness dry food, and have no problems with either of them - btw - I just mix the two dry foods for them -- just to make things interesting.

I also feed them the Wellness canned food, using the dry as a supplement.

Just my experience.

Gloria

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

Yes, changing your cat's food cat cause GI upset. We have to be very gradual in transitioning food. You may want to consider adding acidophilus to their meals. It's also possible that Merlin's tummy just isn't going to take well to this new food, and he may do better with another healthy alternative. If he should continue to have runny diarrhea, he needs to be seen by his Vet, as this could cause dehydration quickly.
Exactly ... If you went from a simple formula ... ie one meat two grain to a complex formula ie three meats five grains and some herbs ... give at least a three week trasition...

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i ended up making an apointmen and taken merlin in to see our vet. they gave him iv fluids cause he was borderline dehydrated and we found out he was allergic to the food so we are switching him back to the other food. the food i had bought was some cheap stuff cause funds are kinda tight right now but not anymore back to the other stuff i told DH we will have to scrimp somewhere else (remember they are MY cats lol)

rumpleteazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

i ended up making an apointmen and taken merlin in to see our vet. they gave him iv fluids cause he was borderline dehydrated and we found out he was allergic to the food so we are switching him back to the other food. the food i had bought was some cheap stuff cause funds are kinda tight right now but not anymore back to the other stuff i told DH we will have to scrimp somewhere else (remember they are MY cats lol)
Poor baby! We've had bad luck with the cheap store brands too, but it can be hard when the budget is tight. My Teazer threw up the cheap foods because of all the dyes and stuff in them. Good for you for catching it and taking him in right away!

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rumpleteazer

Poor baby! We've had bad luck with the cheap store brands too, but it can be hard when the budget is tight. My Teazer threw up the cheap foods because of all the dyes and stuff in them. Good for you for catching it and taking him in right away!
My DH(who is not cat crazy) thought i was nuts cause I actually called in to work and said "....ummm i cant come in cause my cats really sick and i have to take him to the dr". good thing i have an awesome boss and that my work is like a second family there is not one person i work with that has LESS than 3 cats! so everyone understood

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck with kitty. I am glad you got her to the vet.

I am trying to introduce Wellness kitten dry to my cat's diet (mixing it in with her regular dry as I am running out) and she had loose stinky poo this morning. I am guessing it is the food and I need to cut it back in the mixture for a bit till she adjusts. She is an older kitten (about 9 months) and I wonder if the kitten formula is too rich for her and maybe the adult would be better.

If her stools are loose and stinky again I will definitely be switching her back to her regular dry mix of Nutro and Pet Promise. I haven't had any problems with that at all.

rumpleteazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My DH(who is not cat crazy) thought i was nuts cause I actually called in to work and said "....ummm i cant come in cause my cats really sick and i have to take him to the dr". good thing i have an awesome boss and that my work is like a second family there is not one person i work with that has LESS than 3 cats! so everyone understood
I have done that too. Or I just say there's, "A family emergency..." It's great your boss understood!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forget-Me-Not

Good luck with kitty. I am glad you got her to the vet.

I am trying to introduce Wellness kitten dry to my cat's diet (mixing it in with her regular dry as I am running out) and she had loose stinky poo this morning. I am guessing it is the food and I need to cut it back in the mixture for a bit till she adjusts. She is an older kitten (about 9 months) and I wonder if the kitten formula is too rich for her and maybe the adult would be better.

If her stools are loose and stinky again I will definitely be switching her back to her regular dry mix of Nutro and Pet Promise. I haven't had any problems with that at all.
Hi, -- F.Y.I. ---- I previously posted, re: Wellness, loose stool - (KiKi is two years old, and Simon & Phoebe just turned 18 weeks today.)

I also use Felidae and Wellness Dry foods. KiKi does well on Felidae, but just loves Wellness - but, too much of it, and he gets loose stools - so I just give him a little as a treat. At least I'll know what I can feed him if he ever gets constipated

The other two (Phoebe and Simon) also eat the Felidae and Wellness dry food, and have no problems with either of them - btw - I just mix the two dry foods for them -- just to make things interesting.

I also feed them the Wellness canned food, using the dry as a supplement.

Interesting, that you, too, have the same sort of experience. Like you, I wonder if Wellness is just too rich? Hmmm....
Well, it's a healthy "treat" even tho' I can't feed KiKi a "full diet" of it.

Gloria

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just did that Monday. But I didn't actually tell them why I was going to be late, I just called and said I was going to call someplace at 7:30 and get an appointment, and I hoped I could get it right away. If I could, I'd be in after. Got the appointment for 8:30. Similar problem, my Swanie threw up twice over the weekend and I was freaking out about it. I did tell my boss once that I was leaving early because I had a vet appointment for my cat. He was totally cool with it.

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow - lucky you - I know my office would not be so accommodating. I hope everything turns out ok for your kitty.

And sorry Gloria - I posted too soon - I don't know if this will help but I haven't been around for Astrid going in her box but cleaning it tonight I think her stools are looser than normal.

For whatever reason, she is eating less wet food (both Wellness and Fancy Feast) and dry (with much less Wellness) but I think that maybe because the premium food is so nutritous she just doesn't get as hungry. She has really filled out and maybe she is determining her appropriate level of feeding for her own needs. Since she is absolutely normal - (playful, active, bright eyed,beautiful coat) in every other way, I am just going to keep an eye on her and adjust the portions to her preference. And see a vet if it continues after the weekend.

I hope there is good news with the switch back for Salem. I know I would have done the same, work be damned (well, actually,no, I need the paycheck for the cat food - she eats Wellness and I eat Ramen noodles..
) I am glad to know there are workplaces that appreciate our relationship with our furbabies.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forget-Me-Not

.... And sorry Gloria - I posted too soon - I don't know if this will help but I haven't been around for Astrid going in her box but cleaning it tonight I think her stools are looser than normal.

For whatever reason, she is eating less wet food (both Wellness and Fancy Feast) and dry (with much less Wellness) but I think that maybe because the premium food is so nutritous she just doesn't get as hungry. She has really filled out and maybe she is determining her appropriate level of feeding for her own needs. Since she is absolutely normal - (playful, active, bright eyed,beautiful coat) in every other way, I am just going to keep an eye on her and adjust the portions to her preference. And see a vet if it continues after the weekend....
Yes, I agree they do eat less of the premium food -- and
, -- I guess that's another cost advantage for buying the quality food

Usually, feeding premium food also means less waste in the litter pan (unless the food is causing some problems
).

I think your're right to just monitor her - when KiKi had loose bowels, I just stopped the Wellness -- sure enough, the loose bowels stopped, too. That's why I now know to just give the Wellness dry as a "treat" only to him.

I provide both Felidae and Wellness dry (Wellness dry only for Phoebe and Simon), and Wellness canned - and it seems like one day they want more of the dry, and then another day, more of the canned ... guess they're regulating their own "balanced diet"
. I'm learning to be flexible.

Well, I almost lost this post, Simon decided to walk on my keyboard and YIKES! I lost it for a while, whew!

Gloria
p.s. ... I've had a lot of "help" with typing this post, Simon is learning to use the keyboard, ugh! Hope it makes some sense. gh

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It does - and what a smart cat for learning to type!

The experiment continues - I gave her less wet this morning, and she hasn't eaten it yet (but I know she goes back eats a little at a time) but since I reduced the Wellness in the dry mix she is eating more of that.

I really hope she adjusts to the Wellness. I have to get more wet food tomorrow and I need to know what to get and don't want get something she doesn't do well on and go thru this whole ordeal again. I am definitely willing to keep trying premium foods until I find the right one though - I think it is an investment in her long-term health.

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
merlin is doing great his stools are not as runny and i have started switching him back to our other brand salem and ailey dont really care what they eat they are like garbage disposals and will eat anything aileys positive proof of that she weighed 14 lbs at her last checkup !!!!!