Advice Please...

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had my 3 year old cat Chachi spayed on Monday July 31. She came home yesterday. She was prescribed an antibiotic to be given every 12 hours. I gave it to her yesterday at around 8 p.m. since the doctor had given it to her early in the morning. I am having trouble making her take it. I try to open her mouth but she refuses. Any suggestions on how to give it?
Also she has been hiding today so I haven't even been able to give her this morning's dosage. Is there a risk if she doesn't take it as prescribed?
I'd appreciate any help.
Thank you.
Angie

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, there is a risk - the same as with humans.

Can you get someone to help you hold the cat while you give her her meds? It's very hard to do on your own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will try to get someone to help. I just hope that she shows up soon!
Thank you.
Angie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's in pill form you could try getting some pill pockets. We got those from the pet store and Bijou and Mika ate all their drontil pills like good little kitties.
They are like a soft cat treat with a hole in the middle that you wrap around the pill. Worked like a charm in our house.

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the antibiotics are liquid. It has to be dropper full twice a day.
Thanks.
Angie

luvs2be

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is this a pill or a liquid??? As for a pill with my cat (She is on meds for hyperthyroidisim) I dissolve the pill in a little water and use a eyedropper...with 2 people one holds her in there lap and holds her scruff, they i have to use the dropper to get her mouth open and once she does i suirt it in. I have to do basically the same with her Phenobarbatol except that is already a liquid and i use a syringe. If i am alone i sometimes wrap her in a towel so she cant ger her paws out and fight me.
It's not easy. Also i know she likes to hide in my room so sometimes i make sure my door is closed so she cannot dissapppear.

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I appreciate your help!
I am just nervous and I hope that everything turns out all right.
My first cat Tabby, who has passed on and missed very much, was spayed almost 20 years ago and at that time I don't think that she was given antibiotics.
Thanks for the towel idea!!
Angie

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's what works best for me.

OK. Put the cat on the floor (or a table) and back the cat up against you. I'm right handed so I cup her jaw with my left hand and using the other hand place the dropper between the cheek and the teeth and slowly administer the meds. If she isn't that patient give it in one shot, otherwise give her little boluses of the meds.

Don't forget to give her treats and plenty of love after each dose!!

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about if I add the dosage to some milk? Would that decrease the strengh of the med?
Thanks again.
Angie

phantomsr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the vet mention anything about giveing the mdeciation with or without food? You can always call and ask but most medication is okay to be take with food or a drink. If you can mix it with something that they'll drink then I'm sure that's fine. I find petromalt a good mixer for liquids with my animals. It's a hairball remedy but all my animals love the taste. Since it's a paste, I just mix a little in with the meds and they lick it right up. It has a stong taste and odor so it hides the medications well.

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What works for me with one of my cats is mixing the liquid medicine with Gerber Baby Lamb Meat. I buy the Gerber No. 2, which doesn't add any other ingredients to the lamb meat. Good luck! I also have to administer meds by myself and it is not an easy task.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angier106

What about if I add the dosage to some milk? Would that decrease the strengh of the med?
Thanks again.
Angie
Just be careful because if she won't drink the millk laced with antibiotic, then you'll have a lot more liquid to get down her throat

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the problem is that she is hiding ever since I brought her home so I was only able to give it to her last night when she briefly came home. I did get help from my dad and he held her and fortunately most of it went in!
Now I have to find her. I am worried that she keeps missing her morning dosage.
Angie

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why is she getting antibiotics? I've had 6 animals spayed or neutered in the past 5 years and not one of them has ever been given antibiotics. I've gotten pain meds for some of them, but they are usually so darn active that I don't think they are in much pain and don't bother.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fatkitties

Why is she getting antibiotics? I've had 6 animals spayed or neutered in the past 5 years and not one of them has ever been given antibiotics. I've gotten pain meds for some of them, but they are usually so darn active that I don't think they are in much pain and don't bother.
Polly had antibiotics after her bladder biopsy. They like to give them some Clavamox for a week since they've been messing around in the abdomen.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was supposed to give Zissou antibiotics too after her spay. She got sick (unrelated to the spay) and we ended up at the emergency vet. He said to quit giving them to her and that the practice of prescribing antibiotics automatically after a spay was old-fashioned and unnecessary.

Then again, you should always give the meds prescribed for your pet. Especially with antibiotics, once you start them you have to go through the whole prescription unless a vet tells you to stop. (True for people too).

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also wondered why she was prescribed those antibiotics because with my first cat I don't remember giving her any.
Angie

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

He said to quit giving them to her and that the practice of prescribing antibiotics automatically after a spay was old-fashioned and unnecessary.
That is very true. My vets feel that if you have a truly aseptic surgery, there is no need for abx. As long as the patient is properly prepped, and the instuments have been autoclaved, and everything stays sterile, the chances of infection are extremely extremely low.