dress up??

alliread

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if you can play dress up with cats, like you can dogs??
I honestly have more things I would like to do/purchase for my cats, before ever getting to "this point" with them. But my son asked me today why we dont get the girls bows, and the boys shirts , etc.."he is only 6yrs old"

But I didnt know the answer..Can they??
Are they comfortable in them? I know dogs sometimes dont like it though..
As far as bows, you would think that would make the other cats just attack her poor little head??

Any thoughts?

ms_joshica

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol, I am just thinking about getting MaxSheba in an outfit
Oooh yah! That is becoming more and MORE funny. She doesn't even like to tolerate her collars let alone a whole outfit. I wonder how far I would get b4 she ripped the thing to shreds
Well honestly, if you have a laid back cat who doesn't mind then go for it, but if your QT Pie is like mine they draw the line at clothes. If you're not sure which one you have try it and see, but don't be surprised if you get the
from your kitty

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a personalised cat t-shirt for Tinkerbelle...and she was having none of it...she took it off herself and looked at me as if to say "Next time..YOU wear it".

I don't blame her really...on reflection, I think most cats want to feel free...to move and clean themselves.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cassi had to wear newborn t-shirts for a while to keep her from overgrooming, you could tell she was not thrilled with the idea.

About the most I can get from the others is a hat or a bandana, and they'll only put up with it long enough for a photo.

krystaline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

About the most I can get from the others is a hat or a bandana, and they'll only put up with it long enough for a photo.
I was going to say, I am going to try putting a bow on Vodka for pictures. We will see what she thinks of that!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver has a clothes collection, haha (thank god I didnt get a girl kitty, haha, or the wardrobe would be huge!)... he often wears bandanas (loose enough for him to easily get out of when needed, they kinda sit back on his shoulders): he has PennState, Dale Jarrett, American flags, Flyers, green, red.... haha but he also has a custom made hoodie (it's cold in State College in the winter, so it goes on if he's going with me somewhere), a duck bath robe for after his monthly baths, a red fleece coat he wore for his picture with Santa Paws, a pirate hat that was last year's halloween costume and devil ears for this year...he's not fond of the hats: he drops his head to the floor like the hat weighs 800 pounds and he'll walk backwards to try and get out of it... he's a little better with the clothes, but of of course he's supervised when wearing them... all cats are different though, so you'd hafta test it out with your cat to find its tolerance level - I know some people with sphynx cats have sweaters and such for them, hehe

Here's Oliver dressing up:
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...gAnch=imgAnch3
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...gAnch=imgAnch8
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...gAnch=imgAnch4
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...Anch=imgAnch25
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...Anch=imgAnch31

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alliread

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
aww...
i want to try now..your pics are adorable..
I think my garfield is the only one who would probably tolerate it.
I want to try to harness train him first though. If I had it my way, he would be everywhere with me. I just dont know where you cross the line with that. Plus it being 100 degrees almost here lately..hes better off inside for now.

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've dressed up my cats before. When Princess was about 6 months old I dressed her up like a baby. I put a really cute pink dress and bonnet on her. I also dressed George up for Halloween last year. He tolerated it but wasn't too thrilled.

George was the only one that would wear the candy cane antlers.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats come ready dressed so why cover up their lovely fur? Not to mention the danger of them getting clothes caught on something or the fact that they can't groom themselves with clothes on. Leave them as nature intended, I say

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a wet blanket, I admit it, so disregard my post

If you are a cat dresser upper you'd better just skip this one.

But I think dressing up animals is disrespectful to the animal in the extreme, unless you are an 8 year old girl. You have been graced with the presence of this wonderful exotic creature in your home and can think of no better way to amuse yourself than to dress it up like a doll?
And if you have to do it, please do it in the middle of the night with the blinds closed, and for the love of God don't photograph it!!

I don't think it is cute at all. It just screams to me that whomever is doing it views their cat as a plaything, or baby/doll substitute. To me it is just this side of pathological behavior.
They are not dolls, or babies, or even "furbabies" - a term I will admit that I abhor.
They are cats, and deserve to be treated like cats.
Cats have an innate aura of dignity that is 100% compromised with this type of foolishness.

There. I said it.

I don't mean to hurt any feelings, and don't want anyone to take it personally.
Just think about it.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do agree with you, Cearbhaill - I was just too chicken to come out and say it as plainly as you! I didn't want to start an argument. Cats are such dignified creatures I feel it's disrespectful to dress them up as playthings. Even if they tolerate it, I dont see why they should have to just because we think they look cute (which I don't but I accept that's personal opinion). It offers no benefit to the cat.

krystaline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While I agree that cats are dignified creatures, I have to disagree that people who dress up their cats are "pathological!" I think THAT is a little extreme. I don't see anything wrong with people dressing thier pets up for pictures, or what-have-you. I mean, come on, cats are ANIMALS. It's not like they even understand the so-called "indignity."

I think it just shows that people love and are involved with their pets and like to have fun with them. There is nothing wrong with that.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we start to interfere with a cat's ability to carry out it's natural behaviours (eg grooming) for our own entertainment - I think there's a lot wrong with that. You can have fun with a cat without dressing them up.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

Cats come ready dressed so why cover up their lovely fur? Not to mention the danger of them getting clothes caught on something or the fact that they can't groom themselves with clothes on. Leave them as nature intended, I say
That's why I only leave the clothes on for short amounts of time and things like the hoodie and bathrobe I have for him are actually kind of practical in keeping him warm: often sub-zero temps in the middle of winter in PA and after his baths... and the bandanas aren't restricting - he and my dog actually come running to put their bandanas on when I hold them up.... things like his halloween costumes are only for pictures and just to include him in celebrating the holiday... but I know a lot of people feel how you feel and everyone's certainly entitled to their own opinions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alliread

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand what you are saying also. I personally, would NOT have the patience to dress a cat.

Although what would be on the top of the list is a "bow" or something.
I have 2 girls and 2 boys...
I would like everyone that comes here to know what they are, or learn who they are..Because they ARE part of my family. Of course people uninterested wont care. But my family and my friends have all been interested in watching them grow, from what they were when I "found" them..

But even the bow is extreme, I have been looking into collars, with pink for girls and blue for boys, possible with those little bows , only if they are soft and not scratchy. And to also personalize the collars with their names..

As far as booties, with skirts, etc...That isnt for me.
I just mainly wanted something so my girls are girly and my boys are boys..
As you see I already Attempted to do that with their collars already

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alliread

I understand what you are saying also. I personally, would NOT have the patience to dress a cat.

Although what would be on the top of the list is a "bow" or something.
I have 2 girls and 2 boys...
I would like everyone that comes here to know what they are, or learn who they are..Because they ARE part of my family. Of course people uninterested wont care. But my family and my friends have all been interested in watching them grow, from what they were when I "found" them..

But even the bow is extreme, I have been looking into collars, with pink for girls and blue for boys, possible with those little bows , only if they are soft and not scratchy. And to also personalize the collars with their names..

As far as booties, with skirts, etc...That isnt for me.
I just mainly wanted something so my girls are girly and my boys are boys..
As you see I already Attempted to do that with their collars already
If you're looking for cute, personalized collars look at http://www.ragtimepetcollars.com/intro.html I ordered Oliver's custom collar through her... she has TONS of fabrics to choose from, including cute girly, flowery, pink ones to tough rugged boys ones, haha... for a little extra she will embroider up to 20 characters on the collar (I got Oliver's name and my phone number)... she's extremely nice and prompt with communications, makes an EXCELLENT product and will even search for custom fabrics for you (she did for me!
)... they are a very cute way to "dress up" your kitty without dressing up your kitty, haha... she also makes matching leashes and harnesses, so you can get whole sets!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can dress them up, but why? And the looks I've seen on cats faces compared to dogs being dressed up, you can tell they are NOT pleased at all.

Long time ago, I got 2 infant t-shirts that had "Super Star" on them. We got our 2 cats to wear them (with the writing on the back) and took photos, but they really didn't like them much and we didn't dress them up very often. They'd wear them at cat shows when sleeping - people thought it was cute