How did you come up with your cats name?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought this might be fun, maybe there's a funny or interesting story about how your cats name came about!!!

As a child I had planned on having ten kids and had all their names picked out and of course they were all Italian (I am Italian) Unfortunately as fate would have it I was unable to have children, so now my cats will all be named Italian names.

Bella was named so because bella means beautiful in Italian...enough said!
Sophia was named after Sophia Loren...my husband named her.
Severino was named after a wonderful family friend/grandfather figure, his name was Severino Orlando DeYorio, we decided on Severino, he actually got to see him a few times when we went home to visit he was thrilled that we named him after him, he has since passed away he was in his 80's
Joey if he was in the Mafia his name would be no neck Joe!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well its simple really
The cat from the APL, they had named her trisha,
however she wont aswer to that name. She will answer to heyu.
soooo, i guess her name is heyu. hehe at least when i say heyu what are you doing
she turns and says meow.....

the other cat my wife named,
broni. i guess means brown? in indonesian
he is different looking kitty, kinda brown on top and white on the bottom.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiger was already named when we rescued him, I thought of changing his name..but Tiger just fits him.

Miagi is not from the karate kid..my mom said Mowgli and came up with Miagi and it stuck.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Easy was named by drawing a name out of a hat. The choices were Elizabeth (my choice) Riccachu and Easy. Easy because she was so sweet and loving ....( but it was only because she was prego and we didnt know at the time) .... now I tell her she was prego because she was easy.

Laura is named after my Mom.
Tino was named because it sounded like a tough macho italian name "Hey Tino" .... he was far from that since he was so timid .
Ducky was named after my father, who was called Duck, by his Mother, from the name Donald. (Donald Duck)
My father doesnt like it and calls Ducky... James Donald.
Kiko just sounded good to me.... like kiko man ... he thought he was grown when he came out. He was the first one out of the nesting box everytime I went in there. and the first one to keep getting spanked by Easy for doing it from the time he could walk. He talked constantly and always and still does, keeps us laughing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Easy was named by drawing a name out of a hat. The choices were Elizabeth (my choice) Riccachu and Easy. Easy because she was so sweet and loving ....( but it was only because she was prego and we didnt know at the time) .... now I tell her she was prego because she was easy.

Laura is named after my Mom.
Tino was named because it sounded like a tough macho italian name "Hey Tino" .... he was far from that since he was so timid .
Ducky was named after my father, who was called Duck, by his Mother, from the name Donald. (Donald Duck)
My father doesnt like it and calls Ducky... James Donald.
Kiko just sounded good to me.... like kiko man ... he thought he was grown when he came out. He was the first one out of the nesting box everytime I went in there. and the first one to keep getting spanked by Easy for doing it from the time he could walk. He talked constantly and always and still does, keeps us laughing.
Hey I knew a guy named Tino...I like it!!!

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've got Luna and Nova. I just loved the name Luna for a cat so I just went with that. Then when I wanted to adopt another cat, my husbands stipulations were that I could get her if he could name her. He wanted a matching astronomical name, so at frist she was Celine. Well that lasted about a week and we realized that it didn't flow off the tip of our tounges and we were always stumbling over it. So going with the astronomical theme, we went with Nova.

They have so many nicknames though.
Luna is-
Luna Pants
Luna Belle
Legs McGee
Skinny Girl

Nova is-
Nova Sue
Nova Pants
Ears McGee
Fatty (she's always eating Luna's leftover food)

There are others

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All our white cats have had "A" names such as Aloysius (aka Al-o-wishus or Cousin Al), Alouette and Ariel, and Alexander (sigh - only had him a short week.) Mom liked Aristotle better than Archibald and she had final say since he is techically her cat!

Topaz got her named from her pale blue eyes - like the gem! What did you expect from gemlady!

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Marlee I knew I wanted an M name, because the cat my parents had was Meeko, my dog is Maggie, and my BFs cat is Mick. So I searched online and printed out all the M names I could find. Once I got her, I tried out my favorites and Marlee just fit her!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucy and Sassy were already named when we brought them home. Mom named Stinky, because well.. he stinks. At least, he did when we first found him.

I named Clover (she's mine) for several reasons.. I asked for name suggestions here on TCS, and one that I really liked was "Clovis".. but then I thought, "That sounds more like a boy name to me," so I was like, "Why not Clover?" And then I happened to notice.. Clover kind of has a white clover-shaped mark on her face. So I decided it was a good name for her.
I think you can really see the "clover" in this picture..

Originally Posted by LunaLou

They have so many nicknames though.
Luna is-
Luna Pants
Luna Belle
Legs McGee
Skinny Girl

Nova is-
Nova Sue
Nova Pants
Ears McGee
Fatty (she's always eating Luna's leftover food)

There are others
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who says "pants" after a kittie's name.. I say "Clovie pants" all the time..

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a preggers kitty who was wearing a collar and a flea collar. I listed her as found in the paper, and just knew someone would call for her. So rather than naming her, we just called her Kitty, which became Miss Kitty. (Her owner never called.)

When she had kittens, we named them after the Gunsmoke show...Miss Kitty had Sam, Marshall Dillon (aka Mattie), Doc, and Festus. Miss Kitty was a doll, and got adopted at her first adoption show, as a 70th birthday present for a woman who had never had a pet in her life. It was a perfect match.

We decided to keep Mattie, but unfortunately lost her to FIP. By then, Doc and Sam were adopted (together
), and we decided to keep Festus. It was too late to change her name by then, so we have a girl named Festus.

Garfield was a foster, and I hoped someone would adopt him since the first Garfield movie was out. When Mattie died, we decided to keep him and Festus, since half the family wanted him, and the other half wanted her!

DD named Jasmine. DH named Will aka Wilbur aka Willberforce aka Wildebeast.

ny-quil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I named Ny-Quil after the AFI song "Ny-Quil", which is about sleeping all day. Which she does live up to her name sometimes. Jade was named after the gutair player of AFI; she was named by my friend but now we're keeping Jade because of a breakup my friend and her boyfriend had. Mikey, my mom named, I'm not sure how she got the name though.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
mine are all named after computer stuff - even the ferals!
i read Pixel's name in a book, & liked it - the rest were chosen to fit the theme.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i tried to think of some creative names for my kitten that were either Italian or Russian or Blue. . .I had jetblu, blu ray, gris, etc. etc. But in the end i went with Stolichnaya (stoli)

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm one of those weird owners that refuse to give their pets human names. Just imagine standing outside at 1 in the morning yelling for BOB.lol anyways Roxy was a tough little cookie when she came home with me, she was the runt/shy one of the litter so she had to be tough when it came to food. I was thinking Lily aka Tiger Lily but for some reason (nobody take this the wrong way) i decided that it was to sissy of a name for being such a tough little kitten and Roxy just jumped in my head and it stuck.

Kricket my sister thought of, when my neighbor found her i was on my way to work(at the vets office) and the only thing i could find to put her in was a cricket box. (i buy crickets by the 1000's for my bearded dragons) That night i came home and asked my sister to help me think of names and she looked at the box and said Cricket. With Kricket being so tiny it stuck. She went back and forth to work with me in that box for almost 2 weeks and then she outgrew it. I had to be different so i spell her name with a K

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blaze was named that because her orange color is so brilliant and bright.

Neela...Nella....was orignally named Alpha, but my youngest son couldn't say that.So one night watching ER, I heard the name Neela and loved it.

Corwin (my 16 yr olds kitten) was named after a character in a book.The Amber's series.BTW, her name is Amber

Malana just came to me.I wanted something unusual and that sounded strong.

Bandit,our pup was named that because he appears to have a mask on his face.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monkey was the only logical name for our cat!!

My friends, me, and Jason love monkeys!! We love the word "Monkey" and anything to do with monkeys. It actually quite funny, b/c we call eachother monkey all the time. So when I got our 2nd cat we figured we should call her Monkey since it sounded so natural.

You know what's funny...we love monkey's so much that I already have a boys nursery theme picked out for when we get pregnant soon....it's called "Monkey Business" and it's all about monkeys!!

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ruby was named after my daughters favorite cartoon, Max and Ruby. However, most of the time we call her "Gooby" because that's how my daughter prounounced the name at first, and it just kind of stuck.

Shannon, one of the kittens we are keeping, was named after Shannon Hoon from Blind Melon, my husband's doing, since he has always wanted either a male child (no luck there) or animal named Shannon.

Scarlett, the other kitten we are keeping, was originally Spitfire, but that's a dumb name for a girl cat IMO, so I renamed her Scarlett. Mom Ruby, daughter Scarlett, get it?

beatrix426

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we got Zoe when she was 7 months and her name was precious...no offense to anyone who has named their cat that but me and my husband are not precious people lol. We tried calling her by the name and she didn't pay attention so we thought it would be ok to change it. I wanted to name her Luna but Arthur didn't like that so we both came across Zoe and instantly decided that's what it would be.

We were trying to decide between Cosmo and Zulu for our most recent addition. We took a vote and most people liked Cosmo. Once we got him I was very happy we had gone along with Cosmo because he's just so crazy and goofy that the name fits him a lot better than Zulu....next one will have to be Zulu

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Corwin (my 16 yr olds kitten) was named after a character in a book.The Amber's series.BTW, her name is Amber
so, your child's name is Amber & the kitten is Corwin, right? i loved the original Amber books, but didn't care much for the ones told by Corwin's son...i don't know why!