TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Uh oh cats got into candy. help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Uh oh cats got into candy. help

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
hello everyone. Well i have a slight problem my kitties got a hold of a bag and ate part of my candy bar! it was a hersey carmel bar. They didn't eat much of it. but is something going to happen to them. I heard that cats or dogs die if they eat chocolate. And i didn't even know they ate it until i walked into my room and saw it on the floor. are they just going to get diarrea. there about 10 weeks old
post #2 of 17
At this young age, please call your Vet right now!
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
y whts going to happen to them?
post #4 of 17
I dont know what's going to happen..
But the last post comming from a mod who has 12,776 posts..
My only suggestion would be to call a vet right away.
post #5 of 17
Chocolate contains the compound theobromine which is a diuretic as well as a cardiac stimulant. This can cause the pet's heart rate to increase or it may cause the heart to beat irregularly, both of which can be dangerous to a cat. The level of theobromine present in chocolate varies depending on the type of chocolate.

Stomach upset would be the first possibility. Signs of toxicity include excitement / nervousness / trembling ,Vomiting / diarrhea, excessive thirst / sometimes excessive urination (at higher levels of Theobromine toxicity), muscle spasms, and seizures.

What concerns me most is the very young age of your kittens, and I really feel you should phone your Vet to have the feedback of the medical professional who best knows your babies.
post #6 of 17
Yes - get them to a vet because of their small size, the toxicity could be worse. See this article on chocolate toxicity.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
my mom won't let me take them to the vet!!! she says that they are going to be fine cuz she told me to give them a can of Mush food.
post #8 of 17
Chances are, they didn't eat enough to cause severe symptoms or to be life threatening, but it's always best to take precautions in a case such as this before a problem presents itself. Please monitor them very carefully for any of the symptoms of toxicity listed above and seek medical attention if they should begin exhibiting such signs.

Thank you for bringing this important fact to our attention and giving us the opportunity to share with others the potential dangers of our cats consuming chocolate.
post #9 of 17
Luckily it was a milk chocolate bar. For instance, baking chocolate contains enough theobromine concentration that half of dogs/cats who eat one OUNCE will die. The concentration in milk chocolate is lower, but still very dangerous especially for young kittens. If they only ate part of a Hershey's Caramel bar (which is mostly caramel, right?) they are probably going to be okay.

Please keep anything containing chocolate out of the reach of your kitties from now on! And I do hope they're okay.

One of the dangers of poisons is that even if you don't see any immediate signs, those toxins remain in the animal's blood for days. Since it's only been a half hour since your first post, you might not be seeing symptoms yet.
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
whn i think of it, it wasn't like it was a huge bar, they only really ate the top part of the bar, not the caramel, and it anything both of them were eating it and it wasn't that much. My mom said that w/ the amount they ate they should only have diarrea, she had a dog that ate alot of chocolate and all it got was diarrea. i have pics of the candy bar and they really didn't eat the much but my laptop doesn't want to load up the card. so i can't put those up. I can't stay around the house to watch because my car is getting fixed soon. AHH. i don't want ne thing to happen to my babies!!! my bro in law said the diarrea will just be a problem too. but idk there not vets. but they have had cats longer then me so idk
post #11 of 17
Print out that article so you will know what to watch for. And at 17, its time for you to start putting money aside for vet expenses. Then if you are in this position again, you can let your Mom know you have money set aside for emergencies.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiboo
Print out that article so you will know what to watch for. And at 17, its time for you to start putting money aside for vet expenses. Then if you are in this position again, you can let your Mom know you have money set aside for emergencies.
yes. I think I'm going to do that, i just started a job so i will be able to have my own money coming it.
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
well its been 4 hours. and they are doing just fine.
post #14 of 17
I had a rich chocolate brownie that our lab ate one time. Was worried too about the effects. Luckily she only had diarraha for two days but she kinda shys away from chocolate now.

We are careful not to leave chocolate out for either the dog or cat to get ahold of.

Hopefully kitty will just be a little sick from it. Milk chocolate is the least toxic, so you should be ok.
post #15 of 17
poor little kittens. do be care full next time
post #16 of 17
How are the kittens today?
post #17 of 17
good to know about chocolate. i knew it was bad for dogs and i made sure to keep it away from my cats, just in case. i've been called silly on occasion because i was so adamant about it without knowing for sure if it was bad for my babies. now i have proof. thank you!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Uh oh cats got into candy. help