TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Hmm... Eat In Tax?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hmm... Eat In Tax?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Went to the golden arches today and noticed on the receipt there was an "eat in" tax... is this legal?
I kept the reciept and can scan it if need be...
post #2 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256
Went to the golden arches today and noticed on the receipt there was an "eat in" tax... is this legal?
I kept the reciept and can scan it if need be...
Never heard of it. I'm a waitress at 2 different places, and have never seen that. Unless it's a party of 6 or more, there is a "gratuity" automatically added on there, but no "eat in" tax.
Hmm..Sounds like crap to me. I'd say call the place and ask what it was for. Just say you were generally interested, as you havent ever heard of it before. And if it sounds like bull, tell em' you want that money back, or you're taking that reciept to the Village and asking about it.
Editted to add:
Although I DO think scanning it would pretty awesome so i could see such a thing.
post #3 of 28
State imposed.
Some states will put any restaurant food under the umbrella of 'Entertainment' tax.
post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 


See?
It literally says "Eat In Tax"


(I folded over the restaurant name and address and phone number)
post #5 of 28
Looks like it was just the TAX in general.
Cuz I dont see a place for the tax itself.
Ooo..And what kind of PIE was it? Mmm..I want premium pie.
post #6 of 28
Yeah..It IS the general TAX.
I just talked to Brandon, who used to live in Florida, and he says tax is 7.1% down there, and if you take 17.55 X 7.1% you get 1.24
Which would be your tax? Right?
I'm just saying because I dont see a spot for the tax. So I'm assuming that "eat in tax" would just be the tax in general.
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleah
Looks like it was just the TAX in general.
Cuz I dont see a place for the tax itself.
Ooo..And what kind of PIE was it? Mmm..I want premium pie.
one of the new Oreo pie things... Dh got it... he's a junk food junkie...

I guess it is general tax... just struck me funny that they called it 'eat in' tax... and if you add $17.55 and 6% tax you only get $1.14 thats $18.69 not $18.78... not like I'm gonna raise cane about 9 cents though
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleah
Yeah..It IS the general TAX.
I just talked to Brandon, who used to live in Florida, and he says tax is 7.1% down there, and if you take 17.55 X 7.1% you get 1.24
Which would be your tax? Right?
I'm just saying because I dont see a spot for the tax. So I'm assuming that "eat in tax" would just be the tax in general.

tax is actually 6.54169% ( I do accounting and use it ALL the time.. that's technically how it's calculated )
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256
one of the new Oreo pie things... Dh got it... he's a junk food junkie...

I guess it is general tax... just struck me funny that they called it 'eat in' tax... and if you add $17.55 and 6% tax you only get $1.14 thats $18.69 not $18.78... not like I'm gonna raise cane about 9 cents though
If you were my grandma, you'd sure as heck be in there raising some yelling about that 9 cents. lol. Maybe that's why she's so rich?
post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 
my MIL is like that!
I actually should... the other day I went there w/my oldest son and got him a Big Kids Meal and they forgot his fries... Unfortunatly I didn't notice till we were home so I gave him mine
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256
my MIL is like that!
I actually should... the other day I went there w/my oldest son and got him a Big Kids Meal and they forgot his fries... Unfortunatly I didn't notice till we were home so I gave him mine
you know..
Ever scince I had a kid, I noticed I eat less cuz she eats like half of my food everytime. And now, after cooking supper, I'm always the last to get my plate. Ooohh..The life of a mom.
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleah
you know..
Ever scince I had a kid, I noticed I eat less cuz she eats like half of my food everytime. And now, after cooking supper, I'm always the last to get my plate. Ooohh..The life of a mom.

And it's cold when you do get to sit down and eat because kids are wanting a drink, or the salt, or another paper towel that's NOT ripped and DH want's a sharper knife or needs the hot sauce. I got so aggrevated I tell them "This is not Burger King! I didn't ask you what your order was nor if you needed anything else nor if it was for here or to-go! Get it your self "
Yeah, I can get vile when I have to micro my food because of THIER lazyness!
post #13 of 28
I'd LOOOVe to say "get it your self!"
But I dont.
Oh the things I always want to say!
post #14 of 28
Try doing what I do. Send each kid for something...whether silverware or butter from the fridge, they help, too. Last week my 6 y/o "cooked" macaroni and cheese! Of course it was more work than if I did it myself, but it was fun to have help!

And if I need something extra while sitting at the table, I send a kid for it. After all, my daughters will be the Moms someday, and I don't want them to grow up to be slaves! LOL!

Did anyone make it to McDonald's for the 49 cent burgers this week?
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiboo
Try doing what I do. Send each kid for something...whether silverware or butter from the fridge, they help, too. Last week my 6 y/o "cooked" macaroni and cheese! Of course it was more work than if I did it myself, but it was fun to have help!
I do that with my 8 ½ yr old alot! I don't want him to grow up thinking that they can slave thier wives.
Justice made his own Ramen noodles the other day and yeap, it was more work but he needed to learn.
It also helps that I have microwaveable mac n' cheese for them.
post #16 of 28
My mum always used to make us help, one got the plates and glasses out, once set the table and one got the condiments and napkins etc, then there was no need to move until you had finished eating.

Then after dinner, one washed dishes, one dried and the little one sat on the counter top and put them back in the cupboard while my mum finished wiping down the counters etc.
post #17 of 28
Stuff like that infuriates me. I would spread the word and start walking through the drive through to pick up the food then go sit down inside and eat tax free.
post #18 of 28
I called a friend who is a manager at McD's - it is tax no matter which it says - its just the cash registers don't allow them to make another line so it will say
Dine In - TAX = (amount) or Take Out - Tax = (amount) they just forgot the - between the two when they set up the registers... they just do it so employees know whether to use a tray or bag and have had loads of complaints about it so are changing the cash registers to a new type that allows them an extra line or adding a 'new food' with a value of $0 as the bottom line saying eat in / take out
post #19 of 28
Mmmmm this thread makes me hungry!
post #20 of 28
It probably depends on the state. Eat-in or Dine-in tax has been the way of life in Ohio as long as I can remember. Someone explained it to me once, I think it has something to do with how Ohio does not tax certain kinds of food, but does tax others. If you're taking it home, it counts as like food or groceries, but if you eat there it's taxable as a sort of "luxury" sort of thing (you have to eat but you don't have to go out?) or that they have to charge it to cover their own property tax/rent/overhead. I've heard both Either way, not only is it legal but it's required.

I don't know why it would upset anyone, although I guess if you aren't used to it... everywhere I've ever worked you ask "Is this for here or to-go?" and it helps decide how to pack it and whether it is taxed or not.
post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21
I called a friend who is a manager at McD's - it is tax no matter which it says - its just the cash registers don't allow them to make another line so it will say
Dine In - TAX = (amount) or Take Out - Tax = (amount) they just forgot the - between the two when they set up the registers... they just do it so employees know whether to use a tray or bag and have had loads of complaints about it so are changing the cash registers to a new type that allows them an extra line or adding a 'new food' with a value of $0 as the bottom line saying eat in / take out

Thanks!
post #22 of 28
looks like just the sales tax to me too.
Tax tax tax. Everything is taxed or so it seems
post #23 of 28
It really depends on your state, county, and city (and in this case, country). For instance, in Ohio you do not pay tax on take-out orders, or at least not on the thousands of them that I have rung up on a computer that does it automatically. But this is, apparently, different in other places. Just like you don't pay income tax in Florida, but most other states do.
post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom
It really depends on your state, county, and city (and in this case, country). For instance, in Ohio you do not pay tax on take-out orders, or at least not on the thousands of them that I have rung up on a computer that does it automatically. But this is, apparently, different in other places. Just like you don't pay income tax in Florida, but most other states do.
I thought we didn't pay state tax? I'm lost
post #25 of 28
No, it's the same thing. You mean, on your paycheck you get deductions for federal tax, soc. security, and maybe city tax, but not state of florida tax, right? That's what I mean too, the state of Florida does not tax your income. I suppose I could have said it more clearly.

I found the minutes from a Pinellas County board meeting that suggested charging an eat-in tax to fund programs for homeless people, last year. I'm not sure if it happened though.
post #26 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom
No, it's the same thing. You mean, on your paycheck you get deductions for federal tax, soc. security, and maybe city tax, but not state of florida tax, right? That's what I mean too, the state of Florida does not tax your income. I suppose I could have said it more clearly.

I found the minutes from a Pinellas County board meeting that suggested charging an eat-in tax to fund programs for homeless people, last year. I'm not sure if it happened though.
Nope no income tax, you're right.

I don't understand why they would tax homeless people for eating in. I mean, why tax them but not everyone else? They are humans too!
post #27 of 28
No, charging everyone an eat-in tax to create extra money in order to fund programs for homeless people. Not charging the homeless people.
post #28 of 28
OK... no income tax, I am going to work for our office in Florida!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Hmm... Eat In Tax?