People with hamsters..

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do any of you use hamster litter? Does your hamster use it? I saw it for the first time where I work, so I bought one and brought it home.. and so far, Carmie's just been sleeping in it.
Just wondering if anyone uses it, and if your hamster uses it the "right" way.

alliread

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well my bunny uses a litter tray and litter, and does very well..
I had a ginuea pig before, and he liked to only go on one side of his cage, so knowing what I know now, I could have put a little tray and litter in there, and made cleanup easier..

I am assuming if your hampster would use it, it would start with behavior like that?? Going in the same spot??

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our hamster, Hampton, only uses the potty in one corner of his cage so I thought that the litter tray would be perfect. I purchased one and put it where he prefers to use the bathroom. He proceeded to balance on the corners of the thing and pee behind it!!
It's hillarious to watch! The point is, he likes that corner, but not the litter tray. Now he uses it as his "kitchen".
You never know about the little guys!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's funny, the things they'll do.
I just got mine yesterday, and so far I've only seen him sleep in it. When I first put it in his cage, he tried to eat a piece of litter, and once I made it clear that it wasn't food, he got comfortable and took a nap.. I heard him moving around in there earlier, so I'll have to see if he's used it yet. I guess if he really thinks it's a nap spot.. well that's his choice.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I tried it with hamsters and they never used it. I then tried it with my rats and they dumped it out and ate the litterbox (yum!)

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Oh I tried it with hamsters and they never used it. I then tried it with my rats and they dumped it out and ate the litterbox (yum!)
It kind of figures that they wouldn't use it.. but it's a cute idea, so I had to try it.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i tried that with my hamsters and they slept in it. the only thing they would all use (i had 5, now i only have 2) is childrens playground sand you can buy from toys r us. they would not poop in it, they did that alllll over the cage, but every one of them used it to potty in. it really did make for easier clean up and less smelly cages, less often having to change the bedding and clean the entire cage, just dump out the sand and put in new every few days. i used flat, square, shallow tupperware pieces for syrians and large ceramic food dishes for the dwarfs.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss having a hampster. The last 2 hampsters I had were big biters.
And OUCH! That hurts. So I've refrained from having one untill I find one that doesnt bite.
But one time I tried the litter box, and he also slept in it. But I have a friend who's hampster uses it good.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mine just used his to sleep in, I tried putting it where he usuallt goes potty and he just chose another corner and it got to the point where he ran out space and started going potty in his 'kitchen' which wasn't nice so I just took the potty bowl out

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got those "poo balls" for ours for awhile. They seemed to prefer to sleep on them and dig in them, but they also poo'd A LOT in them! We didn't get the little box though, we would just take one of those little side homes you can attach and fill that with poo balls. Then we called it the "poo home"! I guess they didn't mind sleeping where they used the toilet.

Julia

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been about a week since I've started this thread, and he's still sleeping in it.. I guess that officially makes it a bed. I was kind of hoping he'd start using it.. maybe he will?

Originally Posted by lilleah

I miss having a hampster. The last 2 hampsters I had were big biters.
And OUCH! That hurts. So I've refrained from having one untill I find one that doesnt bite.
But one time I tried the litter box, and he also slept in it. But I have a friend who's hampster uses it good.
Mine bites a lot, too. And really hard, so I know what you mean. I wish he'd stop.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
out of 5 (4 were dwarfs who are known for being nippy), not one of mine were biters. i guess ive been really lucky!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine's a big ol baby! He loves to be held and rubbed and will eat straight from your hand. He hasn't once tried to bite us!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys that have/had hamsters that don't bite are lucky. When I first got Carmie, he let me hold him all the time, and then one time I put my hand in the cage, and he bit me.
I don't know why he started biting, but here we are, over a year later, and he still bites.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is also a big ball of love, he will eat from my hand and sits on my shoulder while I am on the computer - but then he also terrorises my cats who are scared of him and hide while he is out

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Mine is also a big ball of love, he will eat from my hand and sits on my shoulder while I am on the computer - but then he also terrorises my cats who are scared of him and hide while he is out
Aww, I wish Carmie would do that!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well you have to keep an eye on him, he gets distracted and goes for a walk behind the monitor and its a pain to get him back out
Do you use a hamster ball? Carmie does, and he loves it.. I put him in it, and he runs around my room.. and the kitties chase him.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes I do, but he is a brat and will back up to get speed and then runs right into the cats' back legs and make them slide on the floors
Sounds like he has quite the personality.
Carmie's really crabby, but he's fun once you work up enough courage to pick him up and get him out.