New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Swapping mommas...

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Alright, so my moms are playing ring around the babies, LOL

lace is pretty much staying with ehr brood.

but seeveral times today i have found lilly with Lylas babies, and Lyla with lillys babies. LOL each time they are nurseing and cleaning perspective babies. The babies are healthy, and doing well.

So is this a problem?
post #2 of 17
Oh, that is so sweet! It might even help the kittens... the two moms might have different antibodies. As long both moms are completely healthy, I don't see a problem with it. But that's just my opinion.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
I didnt think there was a problem it just made me laugh. Steve is convinced its because Lilly wants the bigger house, LOL which could very well be. Lyla has the oldest kittens so her babies are in the big bunny hutch, lol
post #4 of 17
One time our alpha female and two of her daughters had litters at about the same time. (this was waaaaaaaaay back in the olden days.) When the last litter was about 3 weeks old the mothers consolidated the litters. Here was this pile of about 15 kittens and when a mom was ready to nurse, she'd lay down in the middle of the pile and whoever was hungry would eat.

Somewhere I have a pic of this pile. They are all asleep except one - who is sitting up smack dab in the middle!
post #5 of 17
Awww, I don't think it is a problem. I think it is cute!
post #6 of 17
I think this is something that pride cats do and that colonies do on their own.

Sounds simulaneously practical and sweet!
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
LOL oh help us if they combine, LOL i will never be able to tell them all apart, lol.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms
Alright, so my moms are playing ring around the babies, LOL

lace is pretty much staying with ehr brood.

but seeveral times today i have found lilly with Lylas babies, and Lyla with lillys babies. LOL each time they are nurseing and cleaning perspective babies. The babies are healthy, and doing well.

So is this a problem?
In most cases I wouldn't recommend it...especially if the females mated with unknown males. I'd be concerned about FIP, FELV, FIV and other diseases spreading between the litters. I just always think that in cases where you don't know both parents...it's best to err on the side of caution.

Katie
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
well, that wouldnt apply to us. We know the mail. These are our purebred females, who have all their vaccines, had a checkup before, being bred, and during pregancy, all healthy nothing wrong with them. The male as well, tested, screened and clear, right down to a PKD test. This wasnt an unplanned breeding of any sort. All planned ect.
post #10 of 17
hay katie - Well ya know I think it's adorable. I think it shows how close the sisters are to each other to actually share their babies.

TNR - I don't understand your post here. We are talking about PERSIANS here.. not domesticated stray cats.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffysimba
hay katie - Well ya know I think it's adorable. I think it shows how close the sisters are to each other to actually share their babies.

TNR - I don't understand your post here. We are talking about PERSIANS here.. not domesticated stray cats.
We have to take into account those individuals who simply read these forums and do not have a persian breeding program. She asked "is this a problem"...my response was geared to address those situations where I do not think it is a good idea. BTW...I would be against it even if they were "persians" and the breeder did not own the male or had not had a background check (vet check) performed on the father.

Katie
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
I can see your POV on the issue. but i as asking as it pertained to my females in praticular. I agree with unknown males, ect. But, I dont think any responsible breeder would have sent their females to a stud they didnt have a full vet background knowledge of. but thats MO.
post #13 of 17
So... you replied not to scamperfarms situation as was asked by her, but just in general?

Okay gotcha.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffysimba
So... you replied not to scamperfarms situation as was asked by her, but just in general?

Okay gotcha.
Yes....and I think it was good that ScampersFarm responded the way she did...because
1. she revealed that this was a purebred breeding program (which wasn't in her initial post...and most browsers won't take the time to look at all of her other posts)
2. she also stated that both parents were vet checked..which is so important to a responsible breeding program.

A majority of readers/posters in this forum aren't breeders so they need to know that what is "ok" for ScampersFarm..isn't necessarily good for other cats.

Katie
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
we take the utmost care of our babies and always advocate for everyone else to as well I should have stated it in my regular post but it was early and i hadnt been to bed yet

My vet has been calling and asking about the babies even cant wait til they come in for their little check ups and moms post babies checkup as well.
post #16 of 17
A vet friend of mine who works with African wildlife was telling me a couple years ago that lions are one of the species that are less succeptable to many diseases and they owe some of it to the cubs nursing off multiple moms in the pack. He also mentioned that certain endangered species breeding programs intentionally swap the milk of other lactating moms of the same species to enhance their immune systems. I'm guessing it has the same effect with domestic cats, but who knows.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1
We have to take into account those individuals who simply read these forums and do not have a persian breeding program. She asked "is this a problem"...my response was geared to address those situations where I do not think it is a good idea. BTW...I would be against it even if they were "persians" and the breeder did not own the male or had not had a background check (vet check) performed on the father.

Katie
Thoroughly agree with this statement. Normally, it isn't recommended for the aforementioned reasons. In your case, it's obviously fine...and yes, sweet!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care