Help w/ my new puppy's breed?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So 2 weeks ago we adopted a little "lab mix" puppy. The cutest thing. The only thing is...it's pretty obvious he's not a lab, at least not "mostly" LOL! First some photos:
Of course the little pooper looks like a lab here!

But now the ears aren't floppy, they stick up (and are huge!)

But really the most interesting thing is his behavior. He has an extremely strong herding instinct. Herding the cats, us, even the older dog. Plus, he points. Goes completely still and points at something he sees in the yard. I have a theory, but I'd like some ideas first. Thanks, all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's about as tall or a little more long-legged than our lab was at that age, if I remember correctly. At first I was thinking Border Collie. One of his siblings was mostly white with black markings and a black mask. The other was pure black. But look at this photo I found:

This is a Belgian Sheepdog. They nip at the heels of sheep to herd them. Hmmm...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, especially in the shape of his eyes and head. He even has the little white chest. Of course, according to some Web sites, these are like one of the hardest dogs to own, blah, blah, blah. Because they are smart and need lots of action to keep from being bored. I guess I could buy some sheep, LOL!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a theory that any pup that shows up at a shelter that remotely looks like a Lab is labelled as a Lab Mix, because they are highly sought after dogs. Kinda like how any pointed cat is a "Siamese Mix". He doesn't look much like a Lab to me, but I don't know what breed he does look like. That pic you posted sure does look close!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I have a theory that any pup that shows up at a shelter that remotely looks like a Lab is labelled as a Lab Mix, because they are highly sought after dogs. Kinda like how any pointed cat is a "Siamese Mix". He doesn't look much like a Lab to me, but I don't know what breed he does look like. That pic you posted sure does look close!
That's a pretty good theory! It's kinda weird, because even though our older dog is a "lab mix" I knew both parents, and knew how big he would be. But anything goes with this one. He's pretty smart though. I taught him to sit today!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Yeah, especially in the shape of his eyes and head. He even has the little white chest. Of course, according to some Web sites, these are like one of the hardest dogs to own, blah, blah, blah. Because they are smart and need lots of action to keep from being bored. I guess I could buy some sheep, LOL!
He does look alot like the other dog, but if I were you I wouldn't get more then say a couple of those sheep
because then you have to have shears and alot of other stuff
And then it's just more work for you

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

He does look alot like the other dog, but if I were you I wouldn't get more then say a couple of those sheep
because then you have to have shears and alot of other stuff
And then it's just more work for you
LOL! And I'm not sure the neighbors would be too pleased!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought maybe a little Chow in him? Does he have any purple/black on his tongue?

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your dog has little to no Labrador in him - he is a Kelpie/Border Collie cross. You have a full-blooded working farm dog there honey! Make sure he gets a ton of exercise and lots, and lots, and lots to do when he is alone or he will dig up your entire property, destroy everything in sight and be miserable! But you have a dog who is highly intelligent and will be easy to train - and he'll need the mental stimulation for sure. Have fun he's absolutely adorable!

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one can say with any definitiveness what your pup is. He may be 5 or more different breeds!

But he sure looks and sounds like a herder. One of my guesses would be BC.
Who knows what else...

Other blatant characteristics may come with age as well. He does have those Kelpie ears!

He sure is a beautiful one, whatever he is!!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Your dog has little to no Labrador in him - he is a Kelpie/Border Collie cross. You have a full-blooded working farm dog there honey! Make sure he gets a ton of exercise and lots, and lots, and lots to do when he is alone or he will dig up your entire property, destroy everything in sight and be miserable! But you have a dog who is highly intelligent and will be easy to train - and he'll need the mental stimulation for sure. Have fun he's absolutely adorable!
LOL, Sarah! I absolutely believe this! He has SOOO much natural herding instinct. I think I may try & train him for agility. He learned "sit" so easily, now we're working on "down."

Nadette's his sheep for now. He makes her lie down and stay and then he sits next to her like that sheepdog on the cartoon. (You might have different cartoons, but it's like the bugs bunny cartoons, and the wolf and the sheepdog have a timeclock and punch in and "go to work" trying to protect and steal the sheep respectively.) It's so cute seeing him sitting there guarding Nadette!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

No one can say with any definitiveness what your pup is. He may be 5 or more different breeds!

But he sure looks and sounds like a herder. One of my guesses would be BC.
Who knows what else...

Other blatant characteristics may come with age as well. He does have those Kelpie ears!

He sure is a beautiful one, whatever he is!!!
That is so true that he could be a mix of lots of breeds! Wondering how big a dog house to buy, LOL! But this is a HUGE coincidence - I searched out dog breeders in Taos, New Mexico where he comes from. Guess what the top hit was - a breeder of Belgian Sheepdogs. I'm sort of wondering if someone's unaltered female got in with the male and the female came up pregnant...I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but it sure is an odd one.

He's such a little sweetie, but he tries to make us do what he wants by herding us too!

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My aunt raises German Shepherds and he has shepherd in him, he also could be a black german shepherd, chow chow's have round fluffy faces. Also terriers are small bodied with narrow noses. So yea i belive he is a shepherd he has no lab in him labs take over in breeding alot more than people think.
very cute young man by the way.