TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I did it!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I did it!!!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I taught 8-Bit to shake!!!! After three cans of treats, a month and a half of being the world's most patient cat mommy, and a clicker. He shakes!

I'm wondering if I can get sit down next.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass
I taught 8-Bit to shake!!!! After three cans of treats, a month and a half of being the world's most patient cat mommy, and a clicker. He shakes!

I'm wondering if I can get sit down next.
post #3 of 13
How awesome! You MUST have patience. Good for you and Bit
post #4 of 13
that's awesome it really must have taken tons of patience... what exactly did you do - say "shake", then pick up his paw and shake it, then give him a treat? just curious. i dont think Wonton would let me teach him anything. He does the teaching around here :p
post #5 of 13
Wow. That is pretty cool. Zissou has taught me to sit, stand, fetch, ... Oh! you mean you taught 8-bit!

Yay 8Bit!!!

-that is the closest smily we have to a handshake...
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadian girl
that's awesome it really must have taken tons of patience... what exactly did you do - say "shake", then pick up his paw and shake it, then give him a treat? just curious. i dont think Wonton would let me teach him anything. He does the teaching around here :p
I would "click" the clicker, shake his paw, then give him a treat. So now when I click the clicker he holds up his paw.

As for not being able to teach them anything. I didn't think he would do it either. In fact my husband thought that I was out of my mind. Just keep at it. It may take a while, but I bet Wonton would shake for you.
post #7 of 13
That is so cool. I don't have the patience for that. My boyfriends dad taught his cat to shake and jump through hoops.
post #8 of 13
My bf taught Cuddles to play fetch. But wow you did an amazing job. Plain to teach the little guy anything else?
post #9 of 13
Congratulations! That's great! Maybe you could take a video of it and post it?
post #10 of 13
I'd love to see a video too. Very cool that you were able to teach him to do that!
post #11 of 13
Oh yay for you!! Clicker-training is highly rewarding and works beautifully on cats, just as with dogs. In fact, I first discovered it as a training tool to keep Sashka off the benches and other dangerous places in the house. And then I used it to teach her to point, touch, kiss, spin, speak, sit and dance. Fantastic!!

We clicker-train the dogs, too, and its nothing short of miraculous how quickly they learn using this training method.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom
Wow. That is pretty cool. Zissou has taught me to sit, stand, fetch, ... Oh! you mean you taught 8-bit!
Priceless! I nearly tipped my chair over from laughing so hard.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'll work on getting a video! I guess if I should give a word of advice to anyone thinking about clicker training a cat it would be keep at it, and reward, reward, reward.

Now that 8-Bit has figured out what the clicker means he's way more apt to do things for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I did it!!!