Rats!!!!

missy'smomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah we have a couple, the kids love them!!!

Smore is the black and white one and Boo (short for peek-a-boo) is the grey one.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh how cute!! I have a solid brown one named Boo too! She came with that name and she is the meanest little thing!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missy'smomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Boo is so gentle, we got her from a local pet store when she was tiny and she developed the respritory issue that is common in rats. She is my daughters< we got her as a 6th birthday present, so did not want her to die. I think I prayed her back to good health!!! She has always had a slight squeek when she breathes since then. But what a love....she will lick the crap out of your hands, but has never once bitten!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rats are simply awesome pets.
I highly recommend them as first pets for small kids because they do bond so well, and unlike most hamsters and gerbils, they put up with a lot more handling.
Rarely have I met a well raised rat that would bite unprovoked.

I miss having them, I used to raise the fancier types for a mom & pop petstore in my late teens, early 20's.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too had a pet rat. Her name was Cricket. She lived 5 wonderful years! She would sit on my shoulder as I walked around cleaning or down the street. It's simply great when people would freak when they seen her.. she measured 38 inches from nose to tip of her tail. She was peach and white with pink eyes... I do miss her at times! They are awesome intelligent animals!

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

I too had a pet rat. Her name was Cricket. She lived 5 wonderful years! She would sit on my shoulder as I walked around cleaning or down the street. It's simply great when people would freak when they seen her.. she measured 38 inches from nose to tip of her tail. She was peach and white with pink eyes... I do miss her at times! They are awesome intelligent animals!
you had a three foot long rat?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Missy'smomma

Boo is so gentle, we got her from a local pet store when she was tiny and she developed the respritory issue that is common in rats. She is my daughters< we got her as a 6th birthday present, so did not want her to die. I think I prayed her back to good health!!! She has always had a slight squeek when she breathes since then. But what a love....she will lick the crap out of your hands, but has never once bitten!!
Two of my others are the sweetest little things. They are sisters, Monkey and Jello. They love attention and will groom my fingers.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a little baby girl rat two weeks ago and when I went to hold her last night I realized she is actually a he. We loked carefully when I bought him/her and we were all sure it was a girl, well I noticed his little um male parts getting bigger. So I seperated him yesterday and exchanged him for a girl today. I feel bad taking him back but I have 2 cages of females, I just don't have room for another cage setup, plus I would have to get another male to keep him company... My resident rats are giving her a hard time for some reason. They usually do well with younger rats but I hear little squeals every no and then. They turn her upside down and sniff her and I don't think she likes it. They aren't hurting her I think they are trying to show her who's boss. Are some rats alpha and do they usualy have to establish that like cats do? If it keeps up I may seperate her, but they leave her alone and then bother her a bit, off and on so I don't know.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rats most definitely have a pecking order and the females are generally the dominant ones.

They don't flip the other rat over, the other rat rolls belly up in a display of submission.
Much like cats, as long as there is no bloodshed, let them work it out, just keep on eye on the submissive one.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya that's what I figured and now that you mention it she is flipping over. They are really gentle about it, but she screams a bit anyways.

catlady810

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had two rats, they were WONDERFUL. One was named Fuzzball, because when I got her she was naked. She was a curly haired rat. Later i got shadow, named her that because she followed Fuzzball every where.

Then, I developed an allergy to them, and had to give them to my mother and her bf. Where their claws touched me I would hive up and rash up. I miss those little guys.

animal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we also had a rat..*dexter*..they r a great pet, he never once bit usually licked hell outta u..we loved having him and would tell any new buyers to go for it..there a great pet

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love your rats! I always wanted to get some but my mom was terrified of them and now my husband just really doesn't like them. From what I understand, they're awsome pets.

bellinakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love rats! I have a pet one named Chibi, she is a black dumbo-eared. My dad used to breed them for his snakes but I always got babies from him (Weaned), so I could have them for pets! ^_^ I only have one right now but that might change.
Rats are awesome.

My rat Lucia was my favorite, she was a curly (rex) type, and SO sweet. It's amazing how much like a puppy or something they get like...Lucia too would lick my hands or even act like she was grooming me! (you could feel her teeth lightly grazing your skin in rows! lol) She came when I called her too.
Chibi isn't like that yet, but she's new and probably needs some adjustment....the apartment has the scent of the cat too, poor thing! ^_^

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cute pic! the look like a good duo.
I had to get rid of my girls Lucy and Ma. they were great girls but i just didnt have the room after TJ had 14 babies (i had my hands full)

I got tj when she was a weanling (bought her as snake food) and i had to supplement her with milk cause i was afraid she was to small to eat rat food. we ended up being buddies and she ended getting stuck with our male(snake food). Now she is a proud mama of 14 babies(most gone). She loves my attention and always gives me the sniffies in my ear.(shes to cute to be snake food)

rats are good pets. Just make sure you keep boys with boys and girls with girls...dont want 14 babies like i did LOL!