!!!*!!! Electric Collar !!!*!!!

ksakkos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!!

I would like to know the opinion or experience of people who have use electric collars in order to train their cats.

I´m talking about the collars that make a little discharge when you push a button on a command. Like this someone could for example teach the cats which plant they are allowed to chew and which not, not to climb on the courtains etc..

Is it ok for a cat this system? Can someone guarantee that the cat does not suffer? Does it really have a result?? And finally....do you consider it as an aggressive way of training..??

- K

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BAD IDEA!!! cat's don't learn from that sort of thing. they learn from redirection i.e putting out cat grass for them to chew and when they chew the wrong plant put the where the cat grass is or hissing at them when they play to rough. Please don't use an electric collar. That is cruel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ksakkos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually I have never heard of someone using a collar for a cat...I have heard it for dogs. I was just wondering what´s the difference between this and the machines that spray citrus on a cat when it approaches somewhere...the idea is the same (ok...almost...) but the one is considered ok and the other cruel...

Of course I wouldn´t use a collar because I can not avoid thinking as a human and behaving like one, when I treat my cats. But is it just a psycoligical reaction or a really bad idea and an aggression against animals??

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The citrus spray scares away cats because most of them tend to despise the smell. Its not really the act of spraying itself that deters them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ksakkos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
on the other hand, the electric collar does not hurt (ok..it shouldnt, or there should be a way to ensure it doesn´t) but it surprises the cat. Like when he wants to go to a whole (a real one) and something goes out, bittes him and goes back. The cat will not want to put the face or leg again in the whole. Nature is said to be cruel...but also natural...

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think the collar is a good idea and neither with the other members of this site. As I said before cats really don't respond to these sorts of deterents like dogs and other animals do.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Brandi - an electric collar for a cat is a horrible idea - it does nothing but scare your cat, or possibly hurt him/her as well.

Please do not get one for your cat.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before doing anything to an animal, have someone do it to you and see if it hurts. I test out Zissou's brushes on my arms, put weight on my hands in the litter (clean, of course--to see if it'll hurt her paws), etc.

I used to think it was okay to spray a cat with water under certain circumstances, but my roommate started spraying me once (as a joke) and I realized how much I hated it, so I stopped doing it. So put the collar around your neck, and have someone shock you whenever they feel like it, and see how you like it. It's not so much that it may hurt them as they start living in a state of constant fear of you shocking them.

And yes, I do think it's mean, and it's certainly totally unnecessary.

There are other ways to deter them. I snap my fingers and say "no" in a calm yet stern voice when Zissou does something bad. Or just look at her right, and she's knows she's being naughty. There are some deterents that are okay, like bitter apple spray on cords or things they chew but shouldn't, etc. But physical punishment is bad, and doesn't work.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
This is such a horrible idea that I can't even "stay" in this thread, I couldn't read the other posts.

I'm sure they gave you counsel against this form of "training".

Please don't even think of this unspeakable thing, it's beyond comprehension!

Gloria

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. I've never even sprayed Pudge with water and she comes when called, responds to the word "no" and only scratches her cat tree and condo (I put fresh catip on it once every few weeks).

She also never jumps on the counters (she did that on her own. I never made a fuss about it, and wiped them down before cooking) and leaves food alone unless it is offered to her.

I do nothing to her (or any other animal) that I wouldn't do to another human. And yes, I would get some spayed or neutered, but that's another thread.

By no means should you put an electric collar on your cat. Treats and positive reinforcement do a world more for training than hurting your pet does, and they'll actually be comfortable in your home and like being around you instead of fearing you and everything in your house.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Remy has started *stretching* on my speaker....he hasnt started clawing it *yet* I read all the info ..the pro's and cons of using water spray etc. I KNOW remy...he would know I sprayed him no matter how tricky i was. Using an electric shocker would be 10 x than the water bottle thing. What does work...is a spray i picked up at petsmart. It has feliway in it. I sprayed the speaker...now he goes over sniffs it and wanders off. I agree with the others.....*gentle* redirection and mebbe the *drugs*

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know for sure that if I were a cat and someone put a collar around my neck that gave me shocks I'd bite them in the ankle and wouldn't stop until they took it off or their foot was detached from their leg!

As the Mom of 2 cats and having had cats living with me for 25 years, if I ever saw someone put one of those collars on a cat or any other animal, I'd report them for abuse because to me that's what it is.

There are far more effective ways to teaching an animal than resorting to Pavlov's method of torture, which electric shock is.

Our bodies run on electricity. Electrical currents can throw off our heart rhythms, and that goes for animals too.

Sorry for such a strong post, but the thought of animals being abused in anyway gets me really worked up!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This disturbs me, If you feel you need to resort to such an unatural punishment toward your pet.......then I think you need to spend more time understanding them. Most actions they make, especially repetitive, are to gain our attention, a vocal or physical action they are not recieving otherwise........
Even so, if this is not the situation, I do not think anyone would appreciate a shock treatment in response to an interest they might have..............

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
perhaps the topic poster is posting this to wind us cat owners up, well if this is a joke it's not a very funny one. and i think you should be banned for such silly behaviour.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HUYI

perhaps the topic poster is posting this to wind us cat owners up, well if this is a joke it's not a very funny one. and i think you should be banned for such silly behaviour.
Have you read all his other posts? He clearly states that he never would do it or has even heard of it being done but he wonders how it works and if anyone else ever heard of it...

It doesn't sound to me like he is a troll but I guess you never know.

As for the topic here, I would never use one. I wouldn't use one for dogs either. I really don't know much about them really but they just sound horrible.

kuuyku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Putting a regular collar on a cat is hard enough on the cat and not recommend if the cat goes outdoors. An electric collar is not made, nor will ever be made for a cat for very specific reasons. If you were to buy a small-dog, electric collar, most likely, it would be overpowered and significantly harm your cat. Regardless, the cat will become overtly stressed and probably commit more acts which would require further electricution - complicate the situation further. Instead, use positive encouragement; as many people have already explained.

The only time I even use my spray bottle is if they are in bad moods and fight - rarely happens. Cats *HATE* surprises such as sprayed water or being snuck up on, so I would assume they would loathe the collar idea. And, if they associate this suprise and shock with you, well, you will have a lot of sucking up to do to regain their trust and full-love.

Some people find that a snap of the fingers or clicker may help the process of training. Especially once you associate the clicker with a treat or something similiar. Works like a charm. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work though.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I strongly agree with the sentiment toward electric shock collars expressed by the other posters...this is beyond inappropriate. This would be cruel and unusual punishment. A cat will neither learn from this, nor would it deter undesirable behavior...it will most likely increase problematic behaviors.

This will never be an acceptable training method for cats, nor do I support the practice for dogs, or any other animal. It's unnecessary, painful, and downright wrong.