HELP! Not sure how to handle this......

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a scary thing happen today......
I have 3 cats. Murphy 6, Boots 5, & Moses 3 just adopted.

Some background......
Boots has always been scared of her own shadow but some of you may remember I had another cat for a while, Gorby. Things were not always great but Boots & Gorby learned to tolerated each other.
Murphy is Mellow. A smack, a hiss here or there and all is well.
Anyway, Gorby has been gone 3 months now. I just adopted Moses last Saturday
I kept Moses in a separate room for the first night in a door that is vented so the other 2 kids were able to see & smell him. Moses is a Burmese and is SUPER friendly. He was a show cat so he is not scared of cats. He seems to love everyone & everything.

The next day I let Murphy in and some normal hissing went on but he accepted Moses. Boots would not go into Moses room so I still kept the separated another night. I keep him in another room when I'm not home.

Now to the problem........
He is an IN-YOUR-FACE kinda cat and Boots started growling. I have seen them both in a stare down. I can hardly break that pattern..
Yesterday they had a scuffle. A bit scary but short lived and everything seemed to be ok after that.
Last night Moses was trying to get in Boots's face and she started growling again. Another scuffle but not too bad.
Well, This morning they had a horrible fight. It was very scary.. I was screaming at them and squirting water and neither would back down.. Then they ran under a futon bed (thankfully it was not the big bed.) I was able to reach under and grab Moses. Their was SOOOO much fur around when it was over. And the noise was terrible. I put Moses in his room. I was shaking!
It looked like they would have fought to the death!

I'm at a loss on how to proceed... I will keep Moses in the other room when I'm not home but even when I am home I can't control them.. We really love Moses. He is a super cat with an unbelievable personality...
Anyone have any suggestion?????
Anyone have any experience with this?????
I would be very grateful for any help or advice.

Thanks.
Judith

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you introduced Moses to your other cats too early. Did you read the article on this website about introducing cats? You might have to keep Moses by himself in another room, even when you're home, for a few weeks, and try the other ideas in the article. Also, during the fight, your yelling and spraying water may have just upset the cats more. Please be patient with them, introducing cats can take a long time. Good luck!!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have a search of the site for old threads on reintroducing after a fight as well as the normal introduction threads. Because they had a bad fight, it will take more time and patience on your part to get things working, but it should turn out ok.

Good luck.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kept Neela seperate from Blaze for about 2 weeks.I took blankets that both girls slept on and exchanged them so they could get use to one anothers scents.It helped ALOT!!!! They now groom one another on a regular basis.And now, we've added yet another kitty to our home.A black Male that my daughter has named Corwin.So, the process starts all over.I think it will be atleast 2 weeks before either girls accept him.
You have to take things slowly with them.Good luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies..

Oh, I read the info on the site, AFTER the cat fight!

Not smart on my part I guess. I should have known better...
I will do research on "re-introducing" after a fight..
I guess it was a bit too soon but Murphy adjusted so quickly, I assumed Boots would be the same way. We were thinking of somehow putting up a mesh door on the room where we keep the Moses. Not exactly mesh but more like a chicken wire or something stronger so thay can really see & smell each other but not get their paws through. It's more work than we antisipated but I want to make this work..
I feel really bad keeping Moses in a seperate room. Today when I came home I let him out but kept Murphy & Boots in my bedroom. They like to hang in their anyway and never tried to get out so Moses did get to explore and spread his scent.

If anyone thinks of another idea, I'm open for suggestions.. Thanks again. Judith

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've dealt with a few spats and outright fights too and had to go through the reintroduction process several times. What worked for me was a Feliway diffuser, diversion tactics and food.
The Feliway calmed all three cats down in about 2 hours and I use it all the time now.
I separated the cats with a patio screen door, but what seemed to work best was letting them all eat together (after they could all be in one room and not erupt into growls and hisses) and that was the only time they were allowed in one room at first. Food is a powerful motivator to reward good behavior and it evokes pleasant feelings when they relate happiness with one another.
After things calmed down I would use toys as diversion tactics to prevent staring matches. They would even play with each other and stopped seeing each other as a threat.
I believe the key is to create happy feelings when they're together whether it's through food, play or any other favorite activity they can all engage in.

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

I've dealt with a few spats and outright fights too and had to go through the reintroduction process several times. What worked for me was a Feliway diffuser, diversion tactics and food.
The Feliway calmed all three cats down in about 2 hours and I use it all the time now.
I separated the cats with a patio screen door, but what seemed to work best was letting them all eat together (after they could all be in one room and not erupt into growls and hisses) and that was the only time they were allowed in one room at first. Food is a powerful motivator to reward good behavior and it evokes pleasant feelings when they relate happiness with one another.
After things calmed down I would use toys as diversion tactics to prevent staring matches. They would even play with each other and stopped seeing each other as a threat.
I believe the key is to create happy feelings when they're together whether it's through food, play or any other favorite activity they can all engage in.
I really like that idea.

They have eaten together before, but I basically leave out hard food all day but I can use a small amout of can food they all love. I was having a hard time keeping the "happy feelings" because they constantly stare at each other. I break their patter but it only works for a few seconds.
However, the food idea I believe is a good one.
I think I will try that then after a few moments seperate them and do that for a few days adding more & more time toghter. I have never used Feliway. Do you spray it in the air?
Thanks JUdith
P.S.....I never get notified of posts on the board until 3 or 4 days after someone posts. Is that normal? or can I change something in my setting? I can't seem to figure it out.

scratchies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi , if you wish you can try and snip the sharps of their claws for a while as well to reduce any bad scratches, we do this with show cats because the judges are whimps
, just snip the sharps thats all you need and when all is well they will sharpen them back up in no time at all . On a sour note i too am having trouble with one of my boys
he wants to kill every body so he is in lock up

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Scratchies

Hi , if you wish you can try and snip the sharps of their claws for a while as well to reduce any bad scratches, we do this with show cats because the judges are whimps
, just snip the sharps thats all you need and when all is well they will sharpen them back up in no time at all . On a sour note i too am having trouble with one of my boys
he wants to kill every body so he is in lock up
Moses is the newbie and his claws were cut so short, they still have no tip and somehow he manages to rip the fur off of my other 2 guys.
They have full claws. I can get to the front paws of one but she will only stand 2 to 3 clips before she get annoyed so it's quite a process.
My other guy will not let you near him with the clippers so I'm not sure it's going to work for me.
Tonight i will try feeding them some soft food together then I will seperate them shortly after. If this work, I will do this every night adding more & more time they are together. May have to add more & more food! LOL
I rotate the lock-up situation. Now Moses is out the other 2 are in a bedroom. Before I go out for the day my regular guys will be out and Moses will be in lock up.

Your boy thats wants to kill is a new cat? or is he one you have had that developed an sudden attitude?

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
********Bump********
Any more great advice?
I love this site and everyone on it. Thank you all!!!!!!!!!

I have come here at different times for different problems and I always get great suggestions...When my Gorby ws sick I had such wonderful support.

I am going to try a few tings I have read already but I as hoping for other suggestions as well..

Many thanks to all!
Judith

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest Feliway plug ins AND the spray. They are not cheap but they are wonderful for this situation. Keep a plug in in the area they are in most and especially in the room they will meet and be together in. Spray the Feliway on places in the room the cats like to be. If you spray too much you will start to smell it and it is gross so don't overdo it.

Also use vanilla extract on both of their necks and tails and also down their backs. You have to use PURE vanilla extract not the imatation stuff.

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jen,
I bought my plug-in today. $46.00! But if it works, it's worth every penny.
I also just read about perfune or vanilla.. I have vanilla so I will give it a try also. Do you think I should do it before I bring them together everyday? Or will it lat a while?

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if the stuff could possible work so quick but.....I plugged it in last night and this morning Moses was in the room with the Feliway.

What attracted me to my new cat was the fact he was so affectionate and you could hold him like a baby i your arms and he would fall asleep!
I could not believe his personality. I knew he would be a bit different at first but you could not hold him more that 3 seconds once I came home with him. This morning I held him like a baby and he stayed.
He fell asleep and was kneeding his paws in the air. It was soooo cute! I feel like this is the kitty I adopted.

Now, tonight, I will feed him with the other 2 cats and keep my fingers crossed!
I'll keep you all posted.

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess I should have waited a bit longer.. The cats all see each other under the door crack and never seem to have a problem. So I gave the Feliway 24hrs to get working, I put vanilla on all 3 cats head back & tails.
They now smell like vanilla cookies!
I had my original 2 out giving them treats as I brould the newbie up and gave him a treat as well. Then put down the food. They ate then shortly after boots started stalking the Moses the newbie and I paniced and pushed her down the hall to a bedroom. She she was pretty mad.
I was afraid to let it escalate but maybe I aggravited it? I dunno!

Then Murphy walked up to Moses and hissed. Moses chased him down the hall and Moses had a BIG GIANT mouth full of Murphys fur. I seperated them all. I guess it's still to soon...
I'm very dissapointed. I feel really bad and can't stand them all being locked up. I keep rotating them to the rest of the house but I am scared someone's going to open a door and forget and they will kill each other. I don't want to throw in the towel yet and I'm willing to do what ever it taked how ever long it takes but I wish I can feel better about the seperation. Moses is a very vocal cat but to hear him vocalize behind closed doors is killing me.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try www.petguys.com for cheap ($13) diffuser refills which are plugged in at all times. Vanilla can be used to dab between the shoulder blades so each cat smells the same. I tried that too, but without much success. One other thing I've done is to brush each cat to transfer the scents so they can get reacquainted with the other's smell.
Try everything and you may hit on something that works!

Originally Posted by JUDITH

Thanks Jen,
I bought my plug-in today. $46.00! But if it works, it's worth every penny.
I also just read about perfune or vanilla.. I have vanilla so I will give it a try also. Do you think I should do it before I bring them together everyday? Or will it lat a while?

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Thanks for replying.. This was an older question I posted but it has been several months and we bring the cats all together every evening but they can only handle about 1 to 2 hrs and we need to be on them constantly. I hate keeping them seperate during the day and at night but I will not give any away. The newbie is the most amazing cat I have ever had.. So we are dealing with the extra litler boxed & food bowls in different rooms. I hate that part but it's wort it..I have tried the vanilla, it didn't work, and I tossed the felaway dispenser away. I don't think it worked for me..
Still looking for other suggestions...........

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes we have to be willing to let our furbabies sort some things out themselves. Part of the hissing, growling and tussles is them establishing their hierarchy. There will always be an Alpha. It seems that perhaps your Boots is it and Moses is challenging her for that position.

My personal opinion is that females can be a bit more stubborn about keeping their position of ruling the roost, so there will probably be some tension till Moses accepts that Boots will rule the roost. (If only on a tentative basis.)

They are all neutered/spayed aren't they?

My Magic and Monique pretty much don't get along. She pretty much intimidates all the other cats and they don't mess with her. Occasionally Magic will chase her through the house and they will have a swatting session. He does not use his claws and she is declawed. To me it is simply their ongoing struggle to rule over the other bubbling to the surface. Sometimes I will break it up, but other times I will just leave them to sort it out because they have both been known to start it.

Other times I will see them pass one another and touch noses like there has never been a problem between them.

Some cats will never be best buddies, but they can learn to accept each other without always fighting.

You've had wonderful suggestions.

The biggest thing I can think of beyond them is...

Time, Patience & Love!
&
Continue, Continue, Continue with the above in large quantities.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a problem could happen if you ever brought the new cat up to the others. You need to let them find each other. Even days or weeks of being seperated and slowly seeing each other can be screwed up if you bring the new cat up to the other. Especially if you are carrying the new one at a height higher then the others are. They may see that as a huge threat. Cats are big on hierarchy and unless there is actual bloodshed then they need to be left alone to establish who is alpha. There will be hissing and scratching and growling and "fighting" but as long as you see no blood then let them have at it. They need to do it.

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tru & Jen,

Here is my problem... Moses is very good about letting me cut his claws.
Boots is tempermental about that and I only get one paw before she has had enough and I can never get them both done at the same time. Boots has razor sharp claws and the last bad fight they had (weeks ago)I never realized Moses was clawed up pretty bad. It was the next day I felt the scabs. Boots had scratched accross her nose but her nose is white so I noticed it. Moses is sable brown and I only felt them later on. He had them around his neck and the top of his head and one dangerously close to his eye.

Boots who I'm sure is exactly like you said Tru, she will be the alpha for sure.
My husband feels they should work it out but I am so nervous about it. Murphy and Moses will work out fine. 2 males hissing & scratching.. Just like human males!LOL I do need to keep an eye on them.

So, do you all think if we can have all 3 in the same room for 2 hrs at a time we have a shot at getting along? I would think if they wanted to kill each other they would try every chance they get...

Thanks again,
Judith