Piercings?

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A month ago today, I got my nose pierced. I followed the cleaning instructions exactly.
Clean with a pearl sized drop of liquid Dial soap on a Q-tip, and rinse well, as soap can smother the hole, and dry with paper towel.

But about a week ago I noticed a small lump right beside the hole, sorta inside it, almost. It didn't hurt, and I just left it alone, hoping it would go away with the regular cleanings.

But this afternoon I noticed there was some dried blood around the hole, so I started to clean it up with a q-tip with hot water on it, when the lump/bubble thing moved, and turned the stud with it.. and that hurt like... arhggh.
But it's not bleeding (though the hole clearly was at some point today) and it doesn't hurt normally.. only when it moved.

Now, I ahve no idea what it is, or how I get rid of it.. anybody ever seen or heard of this before, and know of a way to rid of it?

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh had my nose pierced many moons ago!
Squeeze the lump, and I assure copious amount of pus will come out of it, its infected! I gave up the fight at two months, I was so tired of squeezing pus out of myself at that point, and removed the ring for good. Did they do a hoop or a stud to start? I HAD to change mine from the hoop to stud at 4 weeks instead of the recommended 6 weeks because my parents forbade me to come home from college with a hoop in my nose. Good luck with yours! I kind of wish I still had mine, being a mother of two now and all, I'm not sure its appropriate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's like.. a L shaped silver stud I think? It's shaped really weird.. if I turn it around, a bit of it sticks out from the inside of my nose.
Here's a pic of it, sorta, but the top bit on mine is round
http://www.mspiercing.com/ProductIma...h-cube-548.jpg

Thats gross... should I clean it with some peroxide now as well, maybe?

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't use peroxide, use WitchHazel. Its much much better for cleaning piercings. I don't have my nose pierced, but I have my navel done, and my piercer recommends it as does my doctor when I asked him. I've had mine for 3 years now and never had a problem with infection. Good luck!

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try to squeeze out what you can, then use peroxide and a triple-antibiotic ointment. I had a nose screw, that looked a bit like the picture you posted. I would suggest rubbing the entire nostril with ointment and trying to get some inside th ehole, sliding it around some.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always been told not to use ointment on puncture wounds (which is essentially what a piercing is) because it causes the outside of the wound to heal faster than the inside. This can lead to an even more serious infection because you still have an open wound under a layer of healed skin. Just my two cents.

ETA: This has been told to me by my mother and my step-mother who have both worked in the medical field for over twenty years each.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get the nose screw out, worst things ever in a fresh piercing.
Get a surgical steel hoop until it heals.
Get body jewelry, not earring.

I have two holes in my nose, used a hoop until healed both times, never a problem.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to stick my nose in on this one (pardon the pun
) Never, ever, ever put neosporin or any other antibacterial ointment on a piercing. Ever. Ever.

You should be using sea salt soaks to draw out any infection and help the piercing heal. I have 17 piercings and have used this technique on everything from basic aftercare to healing my navel when it became infected (after 12 years of having the piercing... remember: always take care of your piercings... even after theyve healed!) The easiest way is to mix epsom salt in warm water, soak a cotton ball in it and then leave it on the piercing for a few minutes.

Here is an excellent aftercare article from the Church of Body Modification:
http://www.uscobm.com/aftercare/pier...ng%20aftercare

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my piercer told me to not use creams on it, as it can smother the hole.

I'll try the salt water compress.. I really don't wanna have to put a hoop ring in if I don't have to.. I am terriefied that it will catch on something and rip out of my nose. I'm the same with my earrings.

Thanks.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had my belly pierced at one time. It was doing well till it was time that i could change. Well after i changed it i ended up having a allergic reaction to the metal. Ohhhh it was so bad and icky i took it out and said forget it never again. Ill stick to tattoos (getting new one tonight)
I would just keep soaking it in like epson salt if it gets worse contact your dr.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my nose pierced, too. The bump you have is probably an infection. But there is a weird thing some people get after a piercing that is a bump that just doesn't go away, but those don't hurt, so it's probably not that.

My ear (14-ga) piercing I got at the same time got badly infected, like my whole ear was swelled up. Gross! My nose healed in like a day!

I used this stuff to clean it instead of water:
http://www.band-aid.com/cleansing_products.shtml
The one that says "wash" not foam. It's great! That's what my piercer used on it when it was done too. (the needle got stuck in the middle of my nose. so it hurt extra)

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is so strange that so many of your peiercers have told you not to use creams. I've had multiple piercings and am alway sent home with triple-antibiotic ointment. However, they have all been hoop piercings where you can lube up the hoop and then rotate it, so the ointment gets inside the hole. I wonder if this is just a regional difference or if all of the piercers around here are stupid.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all of mine I was simply told to wash it well, move the jewelry frequently to keep crusties from forming, and to use Bactine spray (which of course is a delicate thing to do on a nose piercing).

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always heard that it is best to use sea salt to help heal piercings and prevent infections. This what they recommend when I had my navel pierced:

http://www.h2ocean.com/

I also used did sea salt soaks. I used one of those little medicine cups and put sea salt (bought at the grocery store) and warm water. I guess you couldn't really soak your nose in the cup
But you could probably soak a cotton ball in the solution them hold it on your nose... Soaking the piercing always let anything that had built up (such as pus) in the hole come out.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got my belly button pierced I was told to put bactine and polysporin on it. It only ever got infected one time and that was right after it was pierced, almost 4 years ago. I have a friend who had her nose and belly button done and she kept getting little lumps too. The one on her belly button got so bad she had to take it out.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ugh.... I can't stand it when I have boogies in my nose, let alone anything else!
And God Forbid if I get one of those tiny little pimples right inside my nose!!! Ooooooh, they hurt so much that I would never get my nose pierced!

But I do think it looks nice sometimes on women... like Robin Scorpio on General Hospital, hers looks hot.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I for one have no extra holes made in any parts of my body-DH always says I have enough holes in my head. My twin sis doesn't have any extra holes either. I never got in the habit of wearing earrings and have some clip ons if the occasion warrants it.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend in high school got her belly button pierced and it got so infected after a few months that now her belly button is like deformed. The piercing kind of ate a hole down to the belly button, so it has two pointy pieces of her stomach sticking out over it. She had to go to the doctor and get systemic antibiotics it was so bad. I will never get my belly button pierced just from that. It looks cute, but it's just an area of the body that doesn't seem like the best place for an artificial hole. I'm gonna stick to above-the-neck personally. They do look cute though.

Your nose'll heal pretty well soon enough, just keep it and the jewelry clean. Don't use any plastic jewelry for at least six months, though, in your nose. It is less sanitary until it totally heals over.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a few people have mentioned both of these already but when I had my belly button done the guy told me to mix sea salt with warm water and hold it over the piercing in a cup once or twice a day for 5 minutes or so to help clean it. He then said to rinse it and finish off with Bactine. It comes in a squeezey bottle that would probably work well for your nose. He also said to use the Bactine right after the shower or anything like that.

I was thinking too you might be able to take something small like a little shot glass or thimble and put a little sea salt and water in it and cup it on your nose piercing. I used a shot glass on my belly and it was easier than a big cup.

Anyway, good luck!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my Nose pierced when i was 16, i had it done with a gun.
It didnt get so infected, it was really unconfortable at first, the blood happens if you accidently moved the piercing and caused the blood to leak out, I never had a lump so i have no idea what youre on about

My piercers have advised me to only use Palmolive body wash or soap!

I don't ave my nose pierced anymore, but i do have my belly button pierced, that healed wonderfully thanks to my body piercer in australia!