Declaw a DOG???

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went on petfinder and tiped in Greyhound. And I saw a dog with a declawed
sign.. Is declawing a dog a cat thing?? I never heard of a dog thats declawed.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wold hope not fully declawed.

It is common though to have the dew claws removed, saves them from future injury.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i bet it was a typo, or they were referring to the dew claws. Call and ask?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably dew claw removal - I'd be very surprised if they actually removed the dog's claws. IMO the dog would not walk or run properly if done. Cat's retract their nails - dogs don't, so they need the nails for balance.

huggafurbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a little 5.8 pound yorkie two and a half weeks ago. I took him to the vet yesterday and she told me my dog had no front claws! (I hadn't really noticed because he tends to avoid someone touching his front paws...I don't blame him!) He seems to walk and jump OK but I couldn't help but think how much misery the poor thing went through.
His tail is docked too, so I figure they declawed him about the same time? It's odd that it was never mentioned when I adopted him? My last little maltese that died of congestive heart failure at seventeen loved to dig at carpeting but loved cardboard. She would always jump up on me but with enough corrections to let her know I didn't want her doing that she stopped. She was a terrific back scratcher, so I encouraged that. lol!
My little dog was raised with cats and tries to make friends with the strays in the neighborhood but the feelings aren't mutual. :-/ I would get him a little friend but my husband is allergic to cats.

So the answer to the question, do dogs get declawed? The answer is yes but it should be banned!

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ALL claws?!? Good heavens no. Never heard of it!
Typically they will remove the "dewclaws" (and no this is not considered cruel by dogpeople) since dogs will often catch them on things while running around outside and injuries can be very painful.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok.....what is odd- is that he had ALL of his front paws declawed. That is just horrid!!!!! (poor baby- i'm soo glad you have him now and he's never going to have to be subjected to such cruelty again!)

Now what is normal is declawing JUST declaws on a dog- especially if it is a dog that has back double dew claws. The reason is that if it's an active dog and they were to move around a lot or dig- they can very easily rip them off. It is not a pretty site- i've seen it happen before. So in certain circumstances- it is ok to declaw only back declaws on a dog- and in most instances, only if they are double declaws on the back to help prevent very painful injuries to the dog should they get their claw ripped off or hung on something. So in that case it's tolerable. But in what was done to your dog- under no circumstances is that ok. Those people who did that to that poor pup ought to be shot

Also another note on double dewclaws- the dog may or may not be a canidate to have them removed depending on how close they are to the body. If they are close to the body and not floppy and they are controllable(typically like the dewclaws on a normal dog's front feet) then it is not necessary. If however they are exceptionally floppy (usually double dewclaws on back legs- but they can be on the front as well) then it could really cause a problem if the dog snags them and rips off an apendage. Also- some breeds are more prone to double dewclaws and they are seen in fact as a breed standard to have them.

In my personal opinion- i think as long as a dogs nails are kept trimmed and filed regurally, there is not a huge chance of snagging dewclaws, so i don't see a need for declawing a dog. If however it is a special circumstance and the dog is very active and has double dewclaws....there might be a good chance that they could rip them/seriously hurt their leg if not supervised properly...that might be an exception.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness I've never heard of a dog being declawed. How sad and horrible. Why on earth would you do that! You CAN train a dog not to do something! I would think the dog on pet finder would only have dew claws removed but now I don't know!

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Huggafurbaby

I adopted a little 5.8 pound yorkie two and a half weeks ago. I took him to the vet yesterday and she told me my dog had no front claws! (I hadn't really noticed because he tends to avoid someone touching his front paws...I don't blame him!) He seems to walk and jump OK but I couldn't help but think how much misery the poor thing went through.
His tail is docked too, so I figure they declawed him about the same time?
Who the heck docks a yorkie's tail...they barely even have a tail (and declaws them)? That's horrible! At least he has a nice home now.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of declawing a dog before! I hope this doesn't become a new fad, the "declawed designer dog" how scarry! It is bad enough to tell people how wrong it is to declaw their cats and now we have to worry about people declawing their dogs

I have heard of the removal of dewclaws, and under most circumstances it is done for the protection of their little feet, so I can see that and I am not even completely agaisnts docking or cropping, but in no way is it acceptable to declaw their cat, (and now I must say), or dogs!!!!

I hope this isn't going to catch on with people!

andrea742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they do remove dew claws on some dogs. My JRT has those floppy back ones, but he isn't a working dog out in the woods so I decided to leave them. I don't beleive in ANY reason other than medical to remove any part of an animal

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure they didn't mean declaw either, but rather dew claw.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I am sure they didn't mean declaw either, but rather dew claw.
In the case of the ad from petfinder by the OP it may have been mistyped meaning that the dogs dewclaws were removed, by another poster has stated her/his dog she /he recently adopted is declawed. So for some reason (and I hope medical) this dog is with out toes, I am just hoping this isn't some thing that will become more popular, people won't want their little lap dogs to dig them when they are in their lap or jumping up/down, no claws no scratches

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Huggafurbaby

His tail is docked too, so I figure they declawed him about the same time? It's odd that it was never mentioned when I adopted him? My last little maltese that died of congestive heart failure at seventeen loved to dig at carpeting but loved cardboard. She would always jump up on me but with enough corrections to let her know I didn't want her doing that she stopped. She was a terrific back scratcher, so I encouraged that. lol!
My little dog was raised with cats and tries to make friends with the strays in the neighborhood but the feelings aren't mutual. :-/ I would get him a little friend but my husband is allergic to cats.

So the answer to the question, do dogs get declawed? The answer is yes but it should be banned!

That is just horrible!
Poor, poor baby.
I can't imagine how painful that must have been! I can't believe some people actually do that to dogs!

jadedlaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Frisk

That is just horrible!
Poor, poor baby.
I can't imagine how painful that must have been! I can't believe some people actually do that to dogs!
And maybe even more troubling is the though that a vet would agree to perform such a cruel and needless surgery on the dog.

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have heard of having the dew claws removed but never all the claws. I hope, for the sake of the dog, that it is only the dew claws. It would never occur to me. I considered it for Midnight but after reading about it I decided not to. There are better ways to deal with the scratching of things that she doesn't need to scratch.