or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › Declaw a DOG???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Declaw a DOG??? - Page 2

post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyPride View Post
Actually, my vet says that in extreme cases, they do declaw a dog. Front paws only. My dog, no matter what we do, will not quit digging under the fence. We've tried electric fences, but those don't stall her one bit. We take very good care of my dog, but we're so worried about her getting out, and something happening to her, that we're considering it. There are worse things, like animal cruelty. There are jerks out there to abuse the animals. We don't want that to happen to my dog, obviously. It may seem cruel, but in the long run, it will probably be better for her. I'm still doing research on it all, so I'm not sure yet. She's done this for almost a year, and our backyard makes us look like white-trash, because we have several boards, cinder blocks, bricks, whatever we can get our hands on to block the fence, but that doesn't seem to work, either. Just know that there are certain cases, where it may be necessary.
Try building her a 'sand box' and teach her to dig there...

Also make sure she is actually getting enough physical AND mental stimulation each day...digging is a boredom behavior, as well as a 'natural' behavior in some hound breeds. It is managed with training, and in my humble opinion, even with declawing, you will find that you will still have holes, and bloody paws...the behavior is set in, so you need to retrain her attention either way.
post #32 of 47
I can't imagine totally declawing a dog... I feel sick just thinking about it!


My dogs both have their declaws too (front only) and they use them a LOT for many different things...

You know, they do make Soft Paws for dogs...
post #33 of 47
Someone asked about a petfinders ad they saw on another forum, and they too said most people mean dew claws.


Quote:
My dog, no matter what we do, will not quit digging under the fence. We've tried electric fences, but those don't stall her one bit. We take very good care of my dog, but we're so worried about her getting out, and something happening to her, that we're considering it.
Why not buy a chainlink dog run and put it on a slab of cement? Better yet how about not leaving her outside unattended, just out for potty breaks? Also ripping your dogs nails out isn't going to stop the digging, she may not have nails but she will still have toes. Maybe you should just amputate both front legs, then she wouldn't be able to dig at all.

Goodluck finding a veterinarian who will declaw a dog, I imagine just not leaving the dog unattended and actually training your dog would be cheaper. Dog declawing even done by someone expirienced in it can result in lots of pain for the dog and early onset of arthritis.
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plebayo View Post
Someone asked about a petfinders ad they saw on another forum, and they too said most people mean dew claws.




Why not buy a chainlink dog run and put it on a slab of cement? Better yet how about not leaving her outside unattended, just out for potty breaks? Also ripping your dogs nails out isn't going to stop the digging, she may not have nails but she will still have toes. Maybe you should just amputate both front legs, then she wouldn't be able to dig at all.

Goodluck finding a veterinarian who will declaw a dog, I imagine just not leaving the dog unattended and actually training your dog would be cheaper. Dog declawing even done by someone expirienced in it can result in lots of pain for the dog and early onset of arthritis.
I am very disappointed with this. I was simply saying that there are certain cases, where somebody would consider declawing their dog. I appreciate the people who gave me advice that were actually being nice about it. Thank you. As for the above quote? That was incredibly rude of you. You had no reason to say the things you did. It's people like you who make me not want to seek advice from other people, so thanks. But I also know that there are nice people out there, who genuinely want to help. That's all. Thanks.
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyPride View Post
Actually, my vet says that in extreme cases, they do declaw a dog. Front paws only. My dog, no matter what we do, will not quit digging under the fence. We've tried electric fences, but those don't stall her one bit. We take very good care of my dog, but we're so worried about her getting out, and something happening to her, that we're considering it. There are worse things, like animal cruelty. There are jerks out there to abuse the animals. We don't want that to happen to my dog, obviously. It may seem cruel, but in the long run, it will probably be better for her. I'm still doing research on it all, so I'm not sure yet. She's done this for almost a year, and our backyard makes us look like white-trash, because we have several boards, cinder blocks, bricks, whatever we can get our hands on to block the fence, but that doesn't seem to work, either. Just know that there are certain cases, where it may be necessary.
Please, please, please do NOT declaw your dog. They NEED their front claws for balance. The nails are attached to a bone. Dogs nails are attached deeply and have nerves all the way to the root. If a nail is removed, the healing is slow and painful, even if the nail never grows back, nerve damage can plague the dog its entire life. (usually due to injury where the nail has been caught in something and broken off below the skin) Pain can also be caused by limping, chewing and licking the feet, which damages the skin and nerves further and may cause infections in the skin or deeper tissues. At least this is how my vet explained it to me.

I have friends with pug rescue, and there have been quite a few that have come through that have been declawed. ALL of them HATE to have their feet touched, and some of them live miserable lives, because it hurts them to walk. We have one right now, that refuses to walk, because her little feet hurt so much, it is very sad. ALL FOUR of her feet were declawed, the poor little thing can't even scratch herself. The rescue vet said that she was declawed years ago, from the looks of it. This poor little pug has lived in unnecessary pain for YEARS. The rescue vet is furious that another vet would EVER consider doing this to a dog. Here is a link to her...... she was found on petfinder.......
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9776936

She is now in foster care and they keep her on soft carpet because she will not walk on hard floors. She will stand and hold one little paw up at a time because it hurts her to put pressure on it. She can't go for walks, she is put into a stroller or carried when she goes outside. Her foster mother found out from the rescue the reason for this little pug's declaw surgery....... because her "owner" didn't "like her scratching on his legs".


PLEASE reconsider. Your dog will thank you for it.
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyPride View Post
Actually, my vet says that in extreme cases, they do declaw a dog. Front paws only. My dog, no matter what we do, will not quit digging under the fence. We've tried electric fences, but those don't stall her one bit. We take very good care of my dog, but we're so worried about her getting out, and something happening to her, that we're considering it. There are worse things, like animal cruelty. There are jerks out there to abuse the animals. We don't want that to happen to my dog, obviously. It may seem cruel, but in the long run, it will probably be better for her. I'm still doing research on it all, so I'm not sure yet. She's done this for almost a year, and our backyard makes us look like white-trash, because we have several boards, cinder blocks, bricks, whatever we can get our hands on to block the fence, but that doesn't seem to work, either. Just know that there are certain cases, where it may be necessary.
No way does she need a declaw.
How about watching the dog when outside? Heard of supervision? Leash her, tell her no when she does it. Go outside with her, every time. Leaving her in the home while you are gone. Crate if needed. Build an outside pen with concrete as the bottom if you are dead set on keeping your dog outdoors.

If your dog digs in your yard the open sores from the de-claw WILL get infected.
So how are you going to keep her confined not to dig while the long healing time from the horrible procedure? Do that same thing and don't declaw. You know they cut the bone right? The claws have a bone in them, then the quick, around the nail. Talk about messing up walking. Ouch. The poster above did a good job explaining.

Seek a good behaviorist, or a holistic vet, supervise your dog, train you dog, give your dog more attention (bored dogs can get into trouble) and look other places declaw is not your magic answer.
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith's_mom View Post
Try building her a 'sand box' and teach her to dig there...

Also make sure she is actually getting enough physical AND mental stimulation each day...digging is a boredom behavior, as well as a 'natural' behavior in some hound breeds. It is managed with training, and in my humble opinion, even with declawing, you will find that you will still have holes, and bloody paws...the behavior is set in, so you need to retrain her attention either way.
I want to 2nd this idea! My friends Sheltie was HORRIBLE with digging. They made her a sand box and hid toys and treats and stuff in there to encourage her to dig in there.

As for Dew Claws, I have seen sooo many dogs at work get them hurt by playing crazily.
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyPride View Post
Actually, my vet says that in extreme cases, they do declaw a dog. Front paws only. My dog, no matter what we do, will not quit digging under the fence. We've tried electric fences, but those don't stall her one bit. We take very good care of my dog, but we're so worried about her getting out, and something happening to her, that we're considering it. There are worse things, like animal cruelty. There are jerks out there to abuse the animals. We don't want that to happen to my dog, obviously. It may seem cruel, but in the long run, it will probably be better for her. I'm still doing research on it all, so I'm not sure yet. She's done this for almost a year, and our backyard makes us look like white-trash, because we have several boards, cinder blocks, bricks, whatever we can get our hands on to block the fence, but that doesn't seem to work, either. Just know that there are certain cases, where it may be necessary.
Yes, please do not declaw your dog. The BEST way that I found to stop my dog from digging was a tip I had read in a book. Whenever they start a new hole, pick up some of their poop and put it in the hole. A dog will not dig where their poop is. It sounds weird but it completely stopped my dog from digging.

To everyone else: I just asked my vet about this procedure a few weeks ago. I would never have considered it, and after asking the vet about it still won't, but my dog has a disorder which is actually a form of Lupus in dogs. This disorder causes their bodies to reject their toenails. It is EXTREMELY painful and her nails are constantly breaking off at the root, leaving only the bloody pulp underneath exposed. She is on some medication but unfortunately there is no real cure or even specific treatment for this condition. I have done my own research and from what I've found it appears she will end up living her life without nails. The pulp eventually hardens over but the nail never grows back to length. At that point there is usually no more pain involved.

So, the last time we were in for her checkup I asked if declawing was ever done on dogs, since I thought that might be an easier option than her breaking them off herself when she'd run around to retrieve a toy (yes, the break off even running on carpet). The vet said only in extreme cases where the dog would do more harm to themselves with the claws will they perform this procedure. They absolutely do not recommend it. The vet said he had only done a couple in his entire career and it was absolutely terrible on the dog, much worse that even what cats go through. Even with the pain my dog is going through, he said the declaw surgery would be even worse, so for now we're just taking it one nail at a time.
post #39 of 47
I forgot to add that the condition my dog has is primarily found in Greyhounds, although it's still rare. I don't know if the dog in the Petfinder ad has this condition but it may be linked to that.
post #40 of 47
I should hope that they did not totally declaw them!!! The dew claw is understandable but not all of them!!!
post #41 of 47
I'm amazed at how people are "shocked" that someone would declaw a dog. These are the same type of people who declaw a cat and see no problem with it. And, who are we to say it is worse for a dog than a cat? Someone really needs to ask the animals whether or not they would like this done. Can pretty much guarantee not a single one would want the pain, phantom pain, changed gait, arthritis, etc for the reminder of their lives.

To the person thinking about your dog - I can see where your frustration would lead you to consider this. The animals we can can drive us almost around the bend sometimes. I think its wonderful that you are researching the procedure first. There are behaviorists out there, perhaps you could do a phone consult with one in your area? Good luck!
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965 View Post
I'm amazed at how people are "shocked" that someone would declaw a dog. These are the same type of people who declaw a cat and see no problem with it. And, who are we to say it is worse for a dog than a cat?
I didn't say it was worse for the dog than the cat, my vet did!
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamgirl99 View Post
I didn't say it was worse for the dog than the cat, my vet did!
It would kind of make sense that the procedure would be 'harder' on a dog because they are heavier than a cat too...and much 'heavier' on their feet too.
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith's_mom View Post
It would kind of make sense that the procedure would be 'harder' on a dog because they are heavier than a cat too...and much 'heavier' on their feet too.
Unless the dog is tiny little thing I just meant that losing something so necessary is difficult on anyone.
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965 View Post
Unless the dog is tiny little thing I just meant that losing something so necessary is difficult on anyone.

Agreed! This is why I feel so sorry for my dog. She's is the sweetest dog I've ever met and she doesn't deserve having to go through such pain. Poor baby.
post #46 of 47

We have the same problem with our dog.. and your yard description is the same as ours.. and as you say.. cinder blocks.. pavers.. boards.. whatever I can find to cover holes and places along the fence is looking stupid!!!  When he dug under the fence to go into the neighbors yard.. and then dug a hole in their backyard to go under their fence to their front yard.. I have to draw the line.. he's already dug to the neighbors on our right.. now he's doing it to the ones on the left!!!  People think it's cruel.. but do I want our dog running the neighborhood at night??  People steal dogs to sell.. some steal dogs to eat!!!  I wanna get our dog declawed.. it's best for him in the long run..

post #47 of 47

Dont de claw this is crewel and totally unnecessary, just get them clipped also walking them helps keep the claws short 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats and Other Animals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › Declaw a DOG???