TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Bum question!(not nice)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bum question!(not nice)

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
We always wipe Max's bum with toilet paper after he's been(gently), I don't know if this is normal behaviour but it's never seemed to bother him. This was until a couple of weeks ago when he had a bad tummy, & I think he was a bit sore down there when we wiped him. The past couple of days he's been running away after he's been, & dragging his bum on our brand new carpet before we can get to him! Any suggestions as to what we can do, we've thought about closing the bathroom door where his litterbox is & wiping him before he can run away, but we obviously don't want to scare him into not using his box??
post #2 of 18
Has he been wormed recently because that's sometimes a sign when they drag their bums along the carpet

I don't wipe my girls bottom everytime they go because they normally clean it themselves when they groom.
post #3 of 18
Yeah, really I only ever wiped Zissou's when she has a dingleberry or the time she was very ill and then I was wiping the whole apartment

It's pretty unnecessary in general, they use their tongue.

If he is rubbing his butt on the carpet because there's poo on it, then you need to deal with the diahrea. Call your vet and ask them how. He might want to see him, depending on how longs it's been going on, etc.

If he is rubbing his butt on the carpet like it itches, and there's no poo on it, then it is likely worms because they make it itchy.

Or of course if could be both!
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your replies. He's running straight from his litter box to the front room to get away from us, & wiping his bum on the carpet. We've only seen him do it twice, & it's immediately after he's had a poo.
Also, he doesn't have the diahorrea any more.
post #5 of 18
It's like Sophie and the toothpaste that i have to put on their paws to lick off. As soon as she see's the tube in my hand she's off with a trail of dust behind her because she knows whats coming

If he doesn't need wormed, and his poops not runny i would just let him be so he can clean himself.
post #6 of 18
Have a fecal sample done by the vet.
Has he been dewormed recently?

Look for health reasons first, in general, with cats. Then at behavior. You may very well have caused this behavior by trying to wipe his butt when he uses the box. I know when Zissou thinks I'm going to brush her, she starts grooming herself, like "Look! I don't need you to do it!" So your cat is, sort of, showing you he can wipe his own butt.

Most cats need a lot of privacy in their litterbox. Maybe try leaving him alone while he does his business, and not trying to wipe him, and see if that helps.
post #7 of 18
He needs to have his anal glands checked - they might be inflamed and need to be expressed. Dragging his butt on the carpet in a sign of anal gland problems.
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom
Most cats need a lot of privacy in their litterbox. Maybe try leaving him alone while he does his business
I can relate to that one!. If Rosies on the litterbox ready to poop and i walk in on her, she stops what she's doing, meows at me and gets off until i either leave or sit down at the computer and don't look at her.

It's like humans in a way, the bathroom is their sanctuary
post #9 of 18
I used to have to whipe Duke's butt. He always had poop in the fur around his behind but I changed his food and no we don;'t have the problem. I can only assume that befor we changed his food he had a bit if diareia so now his bottom is no longer ringed in poop and it is not red and sore looking. If your having this problem I might suggest a dry food with higher protien content, I'm not a vet but it had worked for my furry kid.
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell603
He needs to have his anal glands checked - they might be inflamed and need to be expressed. Dragging his butt on the carpet in a sign of anal gland problems.


That is what I was thinking as well.
post #11 of 18
Are you using the toilet paper/wipe dry? Maybe try wetting it with some warm water before wiping - it won't be as harsh.
post #12 of 18
the only time i've ever had to clean my cat's behind is when Sunny has an...accident in the litter box. she tends to slip occasionally and sits in her mess. it's only happened 3-4 times in 5 years. it's really easy to tell when it happens too. she's in 'skid' mode before she's half way down. if it wasn't so gross it'd be funny. i scoop her up before she hits the rug, plunk her into the tub, she cries like i'm skinning her alive and i wash her butt. fun for everyone!
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by freig
We always wipe Max's bum with toilet paper after he's been(gently), I don't know if this is normal behaviour but it's never seemed to bother him. This was until a couple of weeks ago when he had a bad tummy, & I think he was a bit sore down there when we wiped him. The past couple of days he's been running away after he's been, & dragging his bum on our brand new carpet before we can get to him! Any suggestions as to what we can do, we've thought about closing the bathroom door where his litterbox is & wiping him before he can run away, but we obviously don't want to scare him into not using his box??
That just happened to my cat... Turns out he needed his anal sacs exspessed.... thats probably what it is...
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom
You may very well have caused this behavior by trying to wipe his butt when he uses the box. I know when Zissou thinks I'm going to brush her, she starts grooming herself, like "Look! I don't need you to do it!" So your cat is, sort of, showing you he can wipe his own butt.
This is what I'm hoping is wrong with your kitty. They're smart, not to mention very private about certain things like litter box activities. Let's hope he's just showing you he doesn't need you to wipe his butt for him.

Regardless, I would take him to the vet and tell them everything you told us.

Are you wiping his butt because it's caught in the hair? A lot of people trim the hair around the anus of their long haired cats so that this isn't a problem and it doesn't get messy. Just a thought.
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiemac
It's like Sophie and the toothpaste that i have to put on their paws to lick off. As soon as she see's the tube in my hand she's off with a trail of dust behind her because she knows whats coming
Toothpaste? Why would you have to give your cat toothpaste? Isn't that bad for them? Heck, I retch and gag if I swallow a little bit of it, never mind eating it. Blech!
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca
Toothpaste? Why would you have to give your cat toothpaste? Isn't that bad for them? Heck, I retch and gag if I swallow a little bit of it, never mind eating it. Blech!
Yes it would be bad for them if it was the human form of toothpaste but this is toothpaste made specially for cats that you purchase from your vets.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom
Most cats need a lot of privacy in their litterbox. Maybe try leaving him alone while he does his business,
My cats are the exact opposite. They tend to wait for me to go to the bathroom and then one runs in and uses the litter box. They will use it at other times too, but I notice that 3/4 of the time when I go to the bathroom, one of my cats comes along and uses the litter box. LOL

I can't seem to get away from them, no matter where I am in my apartment. I feel like I've got a homing device on me
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Well last night we let him do his business, including burying it. Usually we go straight in, scoop & wipe, but after several minutes digging he came into the front room looking a bit confused, as if to say "why haven't you wiped me?", but thankfully there was no dragging on the carpet, so hopefully thanks to all your help we may have solved the problem, fingers crossed!
Thanks again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Bum question!(not nice)