Neil Gaiman Reader's Club!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Read Satai's signature, and realized that someone else likes him too, and Common Oddity. So is there anybody else out there? We are starting a Neil Gaiman Club.

What books do you have? I'll start, I have

Graphic novels: Death, the High Cost of Living, The Dream Hunters, Endless Nights

Novels: American Gods, Neverwhere, Smoke and Mirrors.

I've read pretty much all of them though, and all of the Sandman series. My friend owned those all and I borrowed them in succession. A couple times.

I do not have a favorite, as I do not believe that is possible for me. The one I read the most often though is Smoke and Mirrors, since it's short stories. I did a short movie once based on teh Snow White story.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Anansi Boys is wonderful in that tragic Gaiman way.

Now have you read Good Omens? It's a collaboration of Gaiman and Pratchett. I haven't laugh so hard since I've read Hitchhiker's Guide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never knew what this subforum was for! Haha... I guess my post moved itself.

I haven't read Good Omens. I started to read it and then I moved and had to give the book back (I do alot of book borrowing and lending).

I have the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide, you know, the leatherbound one with the gold inlay. It's a beautiful book, looks like a bible until you read the cover!

Okay, here's a question for debate if anyone is interested:
http://www.frowl.org/gods/forgotten.html
Who do you think the Forgotten God from American Gods is?

I personally believe it is the American concept of the Judeo-Christian god. Why? Well, the only god in history who has no tradition of what he looks like, thus he is invisible because he is supposed to be, many people pray for wealth, etc. The lost female would be Sophia, the female half of God that later became Mary (with help from Goddess traditions, of course) and he is, in fact, all-knowing, etc. There are of course things that don't fit. I think that's the point though.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Who do you think the Forgotten God from American Gods is?
In my opinion the Forgotten God is the embodiment of every god/religion that was lost. The "impression of wealth" was all the lost knowledge that the gods took with them.

Now you are making me want to reread American Gods.

douglasfir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't read much Gaiman aside from some Sandman and his continuation of Alan Moore's Miracleman. Care to recommend anything?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My absolute favorite graphic novel is The Dream Hunters, but it won't give you a very good idea of what it's usually like. Smoke and Mirrors is excellent if you like short stories, which I do. American Gods is my favorite novel of his.

Neverwhere is Gaiman's adaptation of his own tv series, some people don't like the tv-adaptation but I read it not knowing this and loved it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

The Anansi Boys is wonderful in that tragic Gaiman way.

Now have you read Good Omens? It's a collaboration of Gaiman and Pratchett. I haven't laugh so hard since I've read Hitchhiker's Guide.
i LOVED this! my copy is so broken up from multiple readings...but i haven't read any of the others. maybe i'm missng out on something? are they also funny?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far I've only read The Sandman - my life is taken up with college books right now (and has been for the last several years) - so I don't get to do much 'for fun' reading these days, though I did catch up on lot of Prachette books earlier this year, while I was on semester break. I plan on reading Good Omens soon, but it will probably have to wait until the end of August (thesis handup).

I read The Sandman in about 17 hours, but spread over a couple of days. I cried for (I estimate) about 13 of them. My friends thought that there was something seriously wrong with me, and my therapist thought that I was having a break through... but who wouldn't be a little weepy?

I don't know anyone who's read The Sandman had hasn't cried at all.

ETA: I also (though not in ages) read Gaimen's blog, though I'm not sure that counts!

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read them all, but haven't re-read any in years (unable to because I had to leave hem behind in a move), but I will definately get back into them. Very well-written stories. I only found this forum today. :O

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've started Good Omens - and after a wait, too, I might add - and I'm not really enjoying it. It's ok.

But Gaiman and Prachett are two of my favs - why am I not in love?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I've started Good Omens - and after a wait, too, I might add - and I'm not really enjoying it. It's ok.

But Gaiman and Prachett are two of my favs - why am I not in love?
How far into it are you? The book does take a while to get going.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't read any Nail Gaiman, but I want to!! I love the imagery in the comic books. Earl has always been into Death - has posters and a mini-statue (that is worth a lot of money now too
). He works with a guy who owns a comic book store, and he gave us a copy of Previews. A new "Ultimate Sandman" is coming out (with never before seen stuff), and Volume 1 is coming out in November (MSRP $99). I think that's going to be on my Christmas list.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Are you still feeling the same way about the book?
Sadly, yes.

BF re-read it though (since I was struggling with it, I let him off), and enjoyed it (apparently) - the lack of mad fits of giggling was not a good sign, however.