TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Help me figure out what bug this was
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me figure out what bug this was

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I came home today to find a GIANT silverfish looking thing in my kitchen. I know it wasn't a silverfish because it looked different. It was more than an inch long with all these long 2 part legs. All the legs almost made it look fuzzy or something....I have NEVER seen such an awful creature.

Do you guys have any idea what I'm talking about..I couldn't take a pic of it cuz I have no camera. I wouldn't know where to start looknig online for a pic, I have no idea what the thing was.

I'm going to be sick thinking about it. Why are these things lurking around my place...ew, what if their in my bed?? I'm dying here, help me out.
post #2 of 27
Thread Starter 
Okay forget it, I found out its a house centipede. DISGUSTING although harmless. I will go be sick now...blaaaaaaaah
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom
Okay forget it, I found out its a house centipede. DISGUSTING although harmless. I will go be sick now...blaaaaaaaah
Honey don't take offense to this, but are you having some bug issues? I've noticed the last few threads were about maggots and now a centipede. Do you think it's time for the Orkin Man?
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass
Honey don't take offense to this, but are you having some bug issues? I've noticed the last few threads were about maggots and now a centipede. Do you think it's time for the Orkin Man?

Well, its a basement apartment, so there's bound to be some bugs.
post #5 of 27
EWWWWWWW...I HATE bugs!!!! About the only things I can take are ants and flys...everything else creeps me out....I feel for you!

I get these little creepy crawly things with about a hundred legs in my apartment...they are brown and long...people tell me centipedes but I do not know...looks alien to me...LOL I stomp on them as soon as I see them..With shoes of course!!

Gives me chills just thinking about it!


Crystal
post #6 of 27
If it makes you feel better I found ants in my apartment. I live on the 12th floor. How gross are my neighbors?
post #7 of 27
Ewww!!, Natalie!, I hate those things, is your apartment an older one?. You should talk to your landlord to get an exterminator in there.

This is the kind of bug you found right?
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/cent.html
post #8 of 27
I lived in a basement apartment for awhile and had some really gross looking bugs I had never seen before in my life....i just kept stomping


Crystal
post #9 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mew
Ewww!!, Natalie!, I hate those things, is your apartment an older one?. You should talk to your landlord to get an exterminator in there.

This is the kind of bug you found right?
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/cent.html

Yah, its the second bug down on the list.

Do you guys seriously think I need an exterminator? In 2 weeks of living here I've seen 3 of these things, one dead one. And the maggots were just because all the flies that got in on moving day.
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom
Yah, its the second bug down on the list.

Do you guys seriously think I need an exterminator? In 2 weeks of living here I've seen 3 of these things, one dead one. And the maggots were just because all the flies that got in on moving day.
I would, it sounds like their may be a nest somewhere where the wall meets the ground.
post #11 of 27
If you are as centipede phobic as I am than yes...those things are really fast, I'm surprised you've seen that many...you have good eyes girl!
post #12 of 27
ewww...Miss Mew...LOL That is the gross thing i see in my apartment all the time...I guess it is a house centipede...I should not have looked at the site now I am going to have nightmares!


Crystal
post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 
Well, the site says they are harmless, and they eat other bugs. Apparently you should not kill them because they are beneficial...But damn they are so ugly, EEEEEEEEEEW!
post #14 of 27
We have these Ginormous millipedes here.
post #15 of 27
I would definitely talk to your landlord on this. I've lived in basement apartments before and while they do have their share of bugs, a good apartment will hardly show it.

If the landlord doesn't exterminate (well) by some foggers. One year I had fleas in the apt and the landlord kept claiming their guy was out. finally after 2 weeks and being eaten alive I went out spent $12 and fogged the heck outta the apartment (used all 3 of a 3 pack). That got rid of all the bugs and it took another year before we saw anymore again.
post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom
I would definitely talk to your landlord on this. I've lived in basement apartments before and while they do have their share of bugs, a good apartment will hardly show it.

If the landlord doesn't exterminate (well) by some foggers. One year I had fleas in the apt and the landlord kept claiming their guy was out. finally after 2 weeks and being eaten alive I went out spent $12 and fogged the heck outta the apartment (used all 3 of a 3 pack). That got rid of all the bugs and it took another year before we saw anymore again.

Is that safe for my cat though? Cuz I will totally do that if I know it won't harm Trout.
post #17 of 27
I don;t care how "beneficial" they are!! As soon I see it or any other bug its dead...i do not want that thing crawling on me at night...GROSS...All i can think about is it going in my ear or up my nose or something...NO THANK YOU....EWWWWW...I really need to stay away from this thread..LOL

Crystal
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys12065
I don;t care how "beneficial" they are!! As soon I see it or any other bug its dead...i do not want that thing crawling on me at night...GROSS...All i can think about is it going in my ear or up my nose or something...NO THANK YOU....EWWWWW...I really need to stay away from this thread..LOL

Crystal

Hahahah, I totally agree with you, but trying to think its beneficial makes me feel about 5% better At least I know its not out to suck my blood or anything
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom
Is that safe for my cat though? Cuz I will totally do that if I know it won't harm Trout.
My boys take a trip to their Aunt Stacy's for any bug treatments in our apartment for two reasons. One, I don't trust random people coming into my apartment around my cats, and two, I don't like to expose them to it. I'm googling natural bug killing remedies for you right now, just to see if there's a better way with out moving out Trout.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom
Is that safe for my cat though? Cuz I will totally do that if I know it won't harm Trout.
Not one bit.
We took my guinea pigs outside for the 3 hours (nice day) and my roommates cats were at her parents house.

After you air it out for an hour its safe to go back in.
post #21 of 27
http://www.eartheasy.com/live_natpest_control.htm

http://www.anapsid.org/pestcontrol.html

These look like good sites. The first one has some good instructions on how to get rid of a lot of creepy stuff.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom
I came home today to find a GIANT silverfish looking thing in my kitchen. I know it wasn't a silverfish because it looked different. It was more than an inch long with all these long 2 part legs. All the legs almost made it look fuzzy or something....I have NEVER seen such an awful creature.

Do you guys have any idea what I'm talking about..I couldn't take a pic of it cuz I have no camera. I wouldn't know where to start looknig online for a pic, I have no idea what the thing was.

I'm going to be sick thinking about it. Why are these things lurking around my place...ew, what if their in my bed?? I'm dying here, help me out.

OMG!!!!!!!! THAT is what I have in my house and I have no clue what it is either!!!!!!! And they are coming from my room!! But after looking at those pics, my bug isn't on there. They really freak me out.
post #23 of 27
Yeah.. I used to live in a basement apartment (won't do that again, I tell you) and I saw at least one or two of those a week.. -shudders- plus your normal everyday spiders

But this thread is making my hair on my arms stick on end..
post #24 of 27
Oh YUK!!! I just looked at that website, it creeped me out. I use to get those house centipede in my old house. They are sick little things. I was always paranoid that I might see them.
post #25 of 27
I have this really big insect book just in case a get a question on insects-some ofthe pictures are so yucky!!! We could do a thread on out worst insects!!
post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
I haven't actually seen any spiders here yet though, so I think those centipedes have a good go at killing and eating the spiders. I have only seen the centipedes. They have an alarming appearance though, they are VERY ugly and scary. I would actually probably rather see a spider every once in a while than one of these nasty things.
post #27 of 27
Trout doesn't eat them??? Zissou eats the millipedes, as does my sister's cat. Caught him once with half of one hanging out of his mouth, too late to do much.

Or perhaps Trout has been eating them and you would have more! Ewww! You've certainly reminded me why I somehow always live on the third floor (I've lived in five places in my life, and always the third floor).

There is a big millipede problem in the dorms at this school, they crawl out of the heating vents all year long. It's so gross. And they all live like in the walls and under the floors, so they're hard to kill.

There is one thing you can do that is chemical free: Go around your entire apartment, pull all the furniture away from the wall, and tape everything up. Tape the baseboards shut across the top and bottom (that's where I always see them!), tape any cracks anywhere, if there's any space between the tub and the wall, caulk it (or have the landlord) if you see holes in the walls where the pipes for the toilet or sink or stove go in or out tape them up, check around the windows. Get new weatherproofing for the door (pretty inexpensive). Once you're all sealed up then you only have to deal with what's already there (if any) and what might sneak in the door with you (very unlikely).

If you do fog, make sure to open all drawers and cabinets and doors and such.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Help me figure out what bug this was