TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I have a fetching cat!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have a fetching cat!

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
It's 9am and I'm still lying in bed with the laptop sorting some stuff out (and posting here...), and Stumpy has been running around playing for the last half hour or so. She just jumped on the bed with a toy in her mouth and dropped it near me and looked at me. I thought, surely she doesn't want me to throw it for her... So I just batted it around, and she meowed at me, and ran off with the ball in her mouth again. Then came back and dropped the ball next to me, I threw it, and she brought it back!

5 times in a row now, I have thrown the ball to her and she's played with it, then brought it back.

Make that 6 times.... This cat is so cool
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp
It's 9am and I'm still lying in bed with the laptop sorting some stuff out (and posting here...), and Stumpy has been running around playing for the last half hour or so. She just jumped on the bed with a toy in her mouth and dropped it near me and looked at me. I thought, surely she doesn't want me to throw it for her... So I just batted it around, and she meowed at me, and ran off with the ball in her mouth again. Then came back and dropped the ball next to me, I threw it, and she brought it back!

5 times in a row now, I have thrown the ball to her and she's played with it, then brought it back.

Make that 6 times.... This cat is so cool
That is sooo cool....My cat has been doing the same thing....that is funny. She has this feather toy at the end of a string, and I play with her on my bed...and I throw it over near the door....once she picks it up in her mouth...I clap and say "monkey come here, do you want to play?" and she jumps back on the bed with the toy in her mouth and lays it in front of me...last night she probably did it 10 times or so...

Our cats think a like!!
post #3 of 17
it's funny isn't it!!

Polly used to fetch ALLLL the time when she was a kitten!

Now that she is old! (one year old lol) She hardly does it anymore. EVERY-NOW-AND-THEN she will get an itch and bring me something to throw. Just not as often and RELENTLESSLY as she used to!

I wonder if Roxie will start to play fetch when she gets older?

post #4 of 17
Yeah my monkey is 2 years old and she just started doing this a week ago
post #5 of 17
Mine does the same thing... and I don't know where or how she learned it, I guess she's just a genius!

Everyone who comes over says WOW, she plays fetch? That's awesome! Yup! That's my girl!!!
post #6 of 17
Festus does that, too. Here is a pic of her watching as a crinkle ball is thrown. This was at dd's birthday party, with a noisy crowd of kids in the kitchen. She LOVES crinkle ball fetch!


Usually she is the one initiating the game, by bringing me a ball. She drops it at my feet and meows a certain meow saying, "Flick the ball, Mom, flick the ball!!!"
post #7 of 17
That's a cute pic...you got a good shot of the ball flying through the air!
post #8 of 17
That's cute. My kitties wouldn't fetch for anything. They're lazy, and I'll admit.. we get enough "fetch time" with our lab Maggie.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Well there you go, I didn't realise so many cats did it - I just thought my Stumpy was super clever

I told my hubby and he can't wait until tonight when he gets home from work to come and play fetch with her. Of course she won't want to do it when someone's trying to get her to do it though....
post #10 of 17
Phenom is also a fetcher! I often wonder if she somehow got some doggy DNA becasue she acts like a dog a LOT!
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp
Well there you go, I didn't realise so many cats did it - I just thought my Stumpy was super clever

I told my hubby and he can't wait until tonight when he gets home from work to come and play fetch with her. Of course she won't want to do it when someone's trying to get her to do it though....

Yeah..I have called my hubby in to the room and even had him sit far away from her...but she only did it once for him (after me asking a million times)....it was like she said "There, I am only going to do it once!"
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Doggy DNA.... that could explain it - she likes going for walks on a leash, and fetches....
post #13 of 17
Now a leash...is something Monkey will not do...she freezes and won't move an inch....so we don't do leashes
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaynna
That's a cute pic...you got a good shot of the ball flying through the air!
Yeah, that was one of those lucky shots! Festie loves to fetch. If anyone even picks up a crinkle ball and crinkles it, she is ready to play! The others could care less...they will chase and grab the crinkle balls, but won't ever bring them back.

Festie will get them out of the tub, laundry baskets, etc. The more bouncing the ball does, the more she likes it. We bank them off the kitchen table, etc. (Highly sanitary...I know... )
post #15 of 17
Welcome to the club!!!

Trout will fetch until she turns blue....forever!! She loves it! First thing in the morning, she'll drop the toy on my bed even when I'm still sleeping..last thing at night, the toy is there on the bed again..and of course all day in between I can always expect a toy around me and Trout waiting impatiently for me to throw it
post #16 of 17
Yeah....all of our cats are acting like dogs!! That is funny....at least we don't get slobber all over the toys
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Yay! We played fetch for half an hour this morning again! This time my hubby was still here, so he got to play with her as well and see that I wasn't dreaming it. And this time, she was leaping on to the bed with the ball in her mouth and dropping it at our feet.

So of course my hubby is REALLY late for work... hehehe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I have a fetching cat!