TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cat likes cords HELP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cat likes cords HELP

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Ok now that miss Kirra is feeling better she is your typical i wanna get in trouble kitten lol. Her think is attacking my keyboard wires, the xbox wires, weither in use or not, and the headset wires. I have been using the squirt bottle for the xbox wires but the computer i dont dare chance water around them. So any advice, i tried taping em up so they werent dangling but you cant tape all of em, i dont want to wrap em either cause she will still chew, i would like to teach her not to chew at all on em. we have offered her many toys but i am sure the heat of the computers is what draws her. She has not been left alone except at night when we sleep but we are finding she stays in our bed or the couch while we sleep. When i get ready to leave her alone i will stick her in my room till she gets used to us not being home, but how do i deal with the wire chewing.

post #2 of 12
Please go out and purchase some cable covers before your kitty electricutes herself!!!

Here is a link so you know what I am talking about.

http://cableorganizer.com/cord-covers/economical.htm

If not just smear it with something lthat tasts bad ike bitter apple spray
post #3 of 12
An alternative is to block off access to the cord areas. It is unsightly, but I have cardboard and duct taped off the backsides of our computers and home theater areas. The cords are so extensive back there that there is no way a cord cover could be used.

I tell myself that by the time the cats are 2 years old they will have calmed down enough that I can remove the blocks, but I have three nine month old kittens right now and they are WILD!
I have kitten proofed as much as possible yet still have to rethink an area nearly every day- they get into stuff I never would have thought they would find interesting. Loomis will chew our toothbrushes!
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
see thats the thing though, its not the electric wires she is after, its the cord that hangs down from my keyboard or mouse, so i dont know how those would cover. she doesnt even bat at the ones that lay on the i mean if there is a way to cover these great but i havent seen a cover that would work for them. They hang down from the pull out tray where the keyboard sits, when i tap them up i cant access the keyboard. other wise the other cords, like the power cord ect she could care less, its only if a cord dangles that she wants it.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill
An alternative is to block off access to the cord areas. It is unsightly, but I have cardboard and duct taped off the backsides of our computers and home theater areas. The cords are so extensive back there that there is no way a cord cover could be used.

I tell myself that by the time the cats are 2 years old they will have calmed down enough that I can remove the blocks, but I have three nine month old kittens right now and they are WILD!
I have kitten proofed as much as possible yet still have to rethink an area nearly every day- they get into stuff I never would have thought they would find interesting. Loomis will chew our toothbrushes!

Ah thanks, i will try that, because of the way my desk is i could put a piece of cardboard or something in front, i will have to figure out my husbands but shouldnt be to hard.

ok i just spoke with my husband about the cardboard thing (poor guy has to work today) and he came up with ways for it to work or with a sheet if we cant get the cardboard. Once i get it done i will try and get some pics to show yawl. I have the worst digital camera on earth lol


THANKS
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikitty
see thats the thing though, its not the electric wires she is after, its the cord that hangs down from my keyboard or mouse, so i dont know how those would cover. she doesnt even bat at the ones that lay on the i mean if there is a way to cover these great but i havent seen a cover that would work for them. They hang down from the pull out tray where the keyboard sits, when i tap them up i cant access the keyboard. other wise the other cords, like the power cord ect she could care less, its only if a cord dangles that she wants it.
Get yourself a wireless keyboard and mouse.
post #7 of 12
We're having the same problem with Anya and cords that dangle, and I think I'm going to try the bitter apple spray. I feel bad disciplining her about this because the majority of her toys are things that dangle and we encourage her to play with these. She's far too little yet (I feel) to understand that these other things that dangle aren't for play. Right now I've just been saying no as I pull her away and direct her attention to something else.
post #8 of 12
Here are some ideas of things you can use that people use to protect cords from bunnies (and vice versa) that I think would help you a lot, so it will definitely protect your kitty and your cords.

http://www.mybunnies.com/wires.htm

http://www.ezhidewire.com/

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2724
(look under the Potential Problems and Solutions, and the first one is about cord protection)

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-d...yproofing.html
(this one also gives great ideas for protecting cords)

Anyway, I hope one of those gives you a good idea you can work with. You should be able to find most of these things at any hardware store.

I guess my owning bunnies came in handy for kitty owners! Cool!
post #9 of 12
Thanks! Quite fitting for Anya anyway since we have taken to referring to her as "Anya Bunny" since she tends to hop around the apartment when she plays.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks. I will let yawl know which way we go. I just hate having to squirt her with the bottle or tell her no all the time.
post #11 of 12
Get a bottle of Bitter Apple Spray and spray it on and around the cords. Works very well for kittens/puppies, dogs/cats! No home should be without it.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily_325
Thanks! Quite fitting for Anya anyway since we have taken to referring to her as "Anya Bunny" since she tends to hop around the apartment when she plays.
That's so cute. We call our Sunny "Sunny Bunny" because of her habit of running around and bouncing everywhere. We've watched her run across the room and jump halfway up the wall before!! Sometimes she even jumps up and runs across the wall horizontally! This kitty really gets a wild hair sometimes, let me tell ya! Which is funny considering her wide tummy!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cat likes cords HELP