TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › OMG - She is a Pedigree
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OMG - She is a Pedigree  

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I found out last week, that Gizmois a pedigree Maine Coon.

I have no idea how she ended up in a pet shop, being sold for a pitance, when she could have fetched £1000 or more (being a ginger female).

Now my Question... whne do Maine Coons get fertile?


I promised my daughter one litter (don't worry, we live in London... we can get rid of them), but my friend breedss Maine Coons nd I wanted her stud to breed with Giizmo... When do I start to keep her in, and when is she ready for this 12pds monster ???????
post #2 of 24
I wouldn't let a cat outside, period. It's safer for them indoors, and she won't miss the outside, when you decide to confine her. I'm assuming you're talking about the kitten, on the left of your signature. She's a cute little thing. I definately wouldn't let a Pedigree cat outside. Aside from all of the other dangers the out of doors has in store for them, someone could steal her. I don't know if Maine Coons mature slower than other cats or not. So, I'm not sure when she might start going in season, but I'm sure her crying will be a big indicator
post #3 of 24
You should not be breeding a cat from a pet store. Pedigree or not. A real ethical breeder is not going to let you use her stud to get your cat pregnant when you know nothing of your cat's genetic, history. You don't know if disease runs in the family or if there are problems. She could have some genetic trait that is not something you would want passed down to her offspring. How did you suddenly find out she is pedigreed?

Please spay her, and if you really want your daughter to experience a birth, foster pregnant females from a shelter who have no other place to give birth in and run the risk of being put to sleep.

If you do decide to let her have a litter so your daughter can witness it, please show her the other half of it. Take her to a kill shelter and show her the negative sides of allowing your cat to reproduce. Show her the millions of cats in the world that are being put to sleep because "backyard breeders" and "just one litter" people keep doing doing this, and allowing their kittens to fill up the homes that may otherwise be filled by cats who are already homeless and needy.

Ethical, responsible breeders study their breed and their entire genetic make up and personalities for years before even beginning to breed. It take a LOT of time and money. It isn't just throw two cats together, let them get it on, then sell the babies for some money or because you have friends who want one. It is something that takes years to organize and set up.

Ask yourself this: Are you ready to put a lot of money into emergency vet visits if something goes wrong and you need an emergency c-section? Are you ready to have the responsibility of raising these kittens yourself if the mother rejects them? This can happen if she isn't ready for babies and doesn't know what to do or if they are born with a disease (which is the benefit of knowing her entire genetic background before breeding in the first place) You will have to be up every 2 hours to feed them all day long. They are all going to need 2 or 3 sets of shots plus spaying and neutering before going to new homes and the same with the mother. Are you ready for all that? See why breeding is such a big deal and how important it is to know your cats ancestry?

Do not breed a pet store cat. Spay her because that is the humane, responsible thing to do.
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen
You should not be breeding a cat from a pet store. Pedigree or not. A real ethical breeder is not going to let you use her stud to get your cat pregnant when you know nothing of your cat's genetic, history. You don't know if disease runs in the family or if there are problems. She could have some genetic trait that is not something you would want passed down to her offspring. How did you suddenly find out she is pedigreed?

Please spay her, and if you really want your daughter to experience a birth, foster pregnant females from a shelter who have no other place to give birth in and run the risk of being put to sleep.

If you do decide to let her have a litter so your daughter can witness it, please show her the other half of it. Take her to a kill shelter and show her the negative sides of allowing your cat to reproduce. Show her the millions of cats in the world that are being put to sleep because "backyard breeders" and "just one litter" people keep doing doing this, and allowing their kittens to fill up the homes that may otherwise be filled by cats who are already homeless and needy.

Ethical, responsible breeders study their breed and their entire genetic make up and personalities for years before even beginning to breed. It take a LOT of time and money. It isn't just throw two cats together, let them get it on, then sell the babies for some money or because you have friends who want one. It is something that takes years to organize and set up.

Ask yourself this: Are you ready to put a lot of money into emergency vet visits if something goes wrong and you need an emergency c-section? Are you ready to have the responsibility of raising these kittens yourself if the mother rejects them? This can happen if she isn't ready for babies and doesn't know what to do or if they are born with a disease (which is the benefit of knowing her entire genetic background before breeding in the first place) You will have to be up every 2 hours to feed them all day long. They are all going to need 2 or 3 sets of shots plus spaying and neutering before going to new homes and the same with the mother. Are you ready for all that? See why breeding is such a big deal and how important it is to know your cats ancestry?

Do not breed a pet store cat. Spay her because that is the humane, responsible thing to do.
Jen, I couldn't have said it better. Please spay your all of your pets, it is much healthier for them. As Jen said, there are many, many cats that are pregnant that need foster homes, your daughter can experience a birth this way, while making a difference that she can feel proud of.
Do you have her registration papers? If not, how can you know what they are saying is true? There are genetic problems that can run in Maine Coons, and without knowing the past generations, you have no idea if you will produce healthy or genetically UNsound kittens. Please reconsider. I also can't stress enough, how expensive breeding is, without emergencies coming up, but with an emergency, you are talking a lot of money to have just one litter.
post #5 of 24
wow you get touchy about that but ya i kinda agree with you but you come off a little harsh I would have her spayed then go and foster a kitty and you will be doing alot more good than geting your pedigree pregnant. Btw Jen mabie if you could tone it down a bit... im sure it would help people do the right thing.
post #6 of 24
I apologize if I came off as harsh, it is not my intention. I have met many people who believe that having a piece of paper saying a cat is purebred, that it makes the cat automatically breeding quality. That isn't the case at all. That isn't quite the point I was trying to make however, my point is there is a lot of research to be done in general regarding breeding cats, not to mention to know as much about the specific breed you are working with, and the cats behind your own. I am unsure of all the health problems facing Maine Coons, however I do know HCM is one genetic problem, and a breeder should have their own cats scanned as well as knowing the how the parents, grandparents and on down scanned.
My hope is to educate those who have the notion to have "just one litter". It is much healthier for a cat to be spayed or neutered. If one wants to experience the joy (sometimes saddness) in the birth of kittens, I believe fostering cats who need it, is the best way to go. As well, depending on the age of the child, he/she may find the experience frightening. The Momma cat will sometimes cry out, there is usually plenty of birthing fluids, including blood. Not to mention, there is a chance a problem could arise.
It also seemed from the original post, that they may not actually have the papers, just heard somehow that the cat is purebred. If one doesn't have papers, one doesn't know if the cat is indeed a Maine Coon.
Again, I am not trying to step on any toes, just trying to make the original poster think twice before bringing more kittens into the world.
post #7 of 24
well i wasnt talking about you lol i was talking about Jen but anywho... it seems everyone gets "funky" when talking about this subject
post #8 of 24
Whoa back up - you have NO idea of your cats real background. Pet shops are notorious for false papers on pedigrees. And I cannot imagine your friend letting you use their males for breeding without quality - good pedigree, shown, etc.

If your friend does, then I would consider them a backyard breeder who doesn't care about the maine coon breed.

IMO you are only wanting a litter to make money or worse. Your statement of "get rid of them (kittens)" has me concerned.

Red tabby females are not all that rare. A good breeder knows the breed and is concerned about where the kittens are placed, any pet quality offspring is neutered or spayed and show cats are carefully placed in proper homes.

What happens if your cat has kittens and has complications and you lose the mother or worse? You want your child to witness all that too? PLEASE do not breed your cat - she will be much healthier spayed. Maine coons are usually not even bred before they are about 18 months - for full development. And some lines have problems with hip displaysia which you don't want in the breeding program.


I showed cats for many years and are pretty familiar with most breeds and quality. I have many maine coon breeder friends. If the kitten in question is indeed the little red tabby/white in your picture, then she is NOT show quality at all - she is pet quality and should not be bred!
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeman11
well i wasnt talking about you lol i was talking about Jen but anywho... it seems everyone gets "funky" when talking about this subject
Because it is the wrong reasons to breed a cat and this board is here to promote spaying and neutered cats unless you are a breeder and especially an unregistered cat. We are against backyard breeding. I said it as nicely as possible. It is such a touchy subject because it is one that people who backyard breed don't realize needs to be stopped or controlled better.

I wish everyone who thinks it is okay to breed their cat just because it is possibly a purebred would consider the flip side of it. They are just throwing out all the hard work that real breeders go through to learn everything about breeding and to build a name for themselves so produce high quality, great personality cats from a guarenteed, registered, healthy, excellent line of cats. Go to the shelters and see the cats that are going to be killed because people keep thinking "just one litter" is okay to do because they know people who want them.
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpiano
(don't worry, we live in London... we can get rid of them),
do you think that makes it okay? And "get rid of them" concerns me too. a breeder does not "get rid" of their kittens.
post #11 of 24
I agree with you jen. I beleve everyone needs to cool down or you will scare her off and alot of good that will do. I think "I can get rid of them" means that she can find homes for them, it dosent mean I dont think it means throw them out on the road (i hope not). I also beleve it was a attempt at humor...
post #12 of 24
I didn't take the statement to mean they would be tossed out - but I took it as "I'll find homes for them without screening the people or requiring them to neuter/spay any of the kittens".

More or less hand them over to whoever shows interest.
post #13 of 24
Ya I am assuming that too. It is all about the choice of wording though A lot of people say get rid of when they really mean find a new home. I was more cocerned with the "don't worry we live in London" part. Are there no homeless unwanted cats in London? What difference does it make where you are from when what you are doing is wrong?
post #14 of 24
I will probably get jumped all over for saying this but, here goes, those of us who are involved in rescue work see things no cat lovers should ever see, all thanks to people who dont spay and neuter, and "love to have kittens around." I know sometimes there are accidents, that can happen, Im not talking about a litter that hapened because you didnt spay soon enough. People post that have 3, 4 "mom" cats that they allow to breed and breed. I see the results of all that, and believe me its horrifying. we try to do what we can to clean up the mess these people make, and its the cats who suffer of course in the end. Thats my two cents.
post #15 of 24
Thread Starter 
whoa - I think you all misunderstood me... I am not intending to breed her as a pedigree.... sh is from a Petshop after all, so there is a healthy chance that she is at least part moggie and she certainly isn't show quality, but she is pretty, and in the UK MCs aren't that common.

I will find out where she came from form the Pet Shop, to make sure there is no genetic issues, and yes, I am prepared to pay emergency vet-fees and handfeed kittens, should it be necessary.

I wont be selling the kittens as "pedigree Maine Coon" either. As I don't have papers and I don't know how much Moggie Genes Gizmo has. But I thought she might as well breed with another Maine Coon, rather than a backyard Tom from round here.

I can't foster a pregnant female, as I don't have a cat flap, and therefore I am deemed unsuitable to have a cat by the local rescue groups. Before I got Gizmo and Bubbles, I tried to get rescue cats for months. Contrary to the US, cats have to have access to outside here. My cats do go outside, just not 24/7....and I keep them in during the "young-bird" season. The shelter didn't like that.

I already have homes for 4 kittens, and I don't intend to make money from them. The 4 Kittens will actually go for free to my friends. And it will be her only litter. I do know the risks, and I have saved up holiday at work, should anything go wrong.

My question was really, when do Maine Coons mature ? Or when can they get pregnant ? I don't want her to be pregnant too early and I will have to prepare for keeping her indoors for a while, so the local Toms don't get to her. They are already marking the front door, so I am assuming she is getting there...

She is just under 5 months old at the moment.
post #16 of 24
Please don't breed from your cat. Imo, breeding should only be done by those with a lot of knowledge of the breed involved, knowledge of the genetics and health of not only the potential dam but of several previous generations, and the knowledge and desire to further the breed. You may or may not have a pure bred maine coone (without papers it's simply a lovely moggy) but you will not get anyone with a maine coon stud to breed with your cat. I presume you intend to breed her with a moggy or with a pet maine coon? Either way you will not produce registered maine coons but moggies that may look like maine coons. I beg you not to do that - shelters are full of unwanted cats - please don't add to the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpiano
I will find out where she came from form the Pet Shop, to make sure there is no genetic issues,
Sorry but I can't see how the pet shop will know your cat's background and pedigree. I don't know how your cat ended up in a pet shop, but I'd guess that either someone didn't want her anymore and instead of returning her to the breeder just abandoned her or sold her to a pet shop, or she's not a purebred but a cross (cat got out and all that!) that someone just wanted rid of. Either way it's really not a good idea to breed from her.

Please ask your friends to go to a local shelter if they want a kitten or if they specifically want a maine coone they could go to a maine coon rescue or a registered breeder. If you are intending to breed her to another pet maine coon bear in mind that mose pedigree cats sold are sold with a contract that states they must be spayed/neutered and must not be bred from.
post #17 of 24
Please go back and read EVERY reply we have made.

The pet shop will be of no real help in finding out anything on the background of your cat. Even IF the cat is a maine coon (how did you find out in the first place), more then likely it was from a backyard breeder who "claims" to have them or worse, a kitten mill. Either way your cat should NOT be bred.

And your friend with maine coons, why would he/she WANT to breed to your cat? Without knowing the background, the pedigree, and proving your cat has the top qualities to be bred, he/she is NOT (and you too) improving the breed in any way.

Most MC breeders do NOT even consider breeding their cats till around 18 MONTHS old - your cat is far to young to be bred in the first place. Even if she does come into heat at an early age.

You say you have homes for 4 kittens - what if she only has 1 kitten? And WHY do you want to even breed her? Because she "supposedly" is a maine coon? What prove do you have that she is? And to admit that she might not be ALL maine coon is the main reason NOT to be breeding her period!

Plus even if you go against all we've pleaded, and you do manage to find someone willing to breed her, will you require those getting her kittens to be neutered or spayed? If not, then you are a backyard breeder who really doesn't care about your cat at all.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpiano
I can't foster a pregnant female, as I don't have a cat flap, and therefore I am deemed unsuitable to have a cat by the local rescue groups. Before I got Gizmo and Bubbles, I tried to get rescue cats for months. Contrary to the US, cats have to have access to outside here. My cats do go outside, just not 24/7....and I keep them in during the "young-bird" season. The shelter didn't like that.
I find this extremely hard to believe- in the UK cats are REQUIRED to be allowed outside? I think some of TCS's UK members can refute this statement?
post #19 of 24
Madpiano, please don't take this the wrong way, but I think a lot of members here take issue with you breeding a cat that isn't definitely a pedigree, and that you don't have papers for. There are lost of unwanted cats and lots of people here work in shelters and rescue unwanted cats. I don't know much about England but I do know that there are members here from England whose cats are indoor only. Why a shelter would want unspayed females outside is beyond me. Please understand that this board does not promote breeding of cats except by registered breeders. You do see a lot of people having kittens in this forum, but a lot of the posters are either fostering or have had an unfortunate accidental pregnancy.
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277
I find this extremely hard to believe- in the UK cats are REQUIRED to be allowed outside? I think some of TCS's UK members can refute this statement?
Actually, madpiano is right.

The large majority of London cat rescue groups will not re-home a cat to a household that does not have a garden or a catflap.

I can give you links to my 4 local shelters if anyone wants to dispute this.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten

The large majority of London cat rescue groups will not re-home a cat to a household that does not have a garden or a catflap.
The policy on this kind of thing varies from shelter to shelter - there isn't a set of rules that all have to follow. Now that there are more cats being kept indoors over here, there are inevitably more indoor cats ending up in shelters. That means that most shelters will rehome some cats to indoor homes, but it depends on the cat's individual needs. A cat that has previously been outside will probably only be rehomed to somewhre where it can go outside, but a cat that has previously been kept indoors or that is sick or disabled will be looking for an indoor home. As to rehoming kittens to indoor homes - that varies. Some will accept an indoor home, some will not. Most will advise the cat be kept in at night. None would encourage an unspayed female having free access outdoors - in fact, none would be in favour of a cat remaining unneutered.

As far as fostering kittens goes - surely both kittens and mother need to be kept indoors until the former are vaccinated and neutered and the latter is neutered? booktigger is from the UK and fosters so she might know better the requirements for fosterers.
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten
Actually, madpiano is right.

The large majority of London cat rescue groups will not re-home a cat to a household that does not have a garden or a catflap.

I can give you links to my 4 local shelters if anyone wants to dispute this.
Having an enclosed garden is very different than allowing your cat to free roam though, and like urban said, I'm sure they don't condone un-altered cats being outside There are quite a few UK members that keep their cats strictly indoor.
post #23 of 24
I can kind of understand where the original poster is coming from. I have a purebred Akita dog, purchased from a family who got her at a pet store. She is a beautiful animal, and has a great temperament. We considered "just one litter" since she is purebred. But after a little research, we learned that good quality breeders of animals just will not sell at petstores. So no matter how gorgeous they are to the untrained eye, they are not breeding quality. Fabulous pet quality, if you get lucky, but not to be bred.

I rescue, and can attest for the fact that there are too many cats. I love them, too, but the numbers that are euthanized! Just so heartbreaking. And I've had some losses of foster kittens, so know that the idea of breeding for just one litter can bring with it some heartache.

Basically, this site is pro spay and neuter, unless you are a breeder with a plan. If you have more questions, you might want to post on the breeders forum, and get their input on what makes a breeding quality animal.

Another option for fostering a preggers cat would be to watch the newspaper. If you see someone posting a found pregnant cat, offer to take it (if they don't find the owner) and foster it through the pregnancy.
post #24 of 24
This is a very controversial topic here at TCS and one that has been well covered, not only in ~this~ thread but in others before it -- but the bottom line is simple: unless you have the registration/ownership documents for your cat which clearly show you own the breeding rights AND you intend to breed responsibly, it would be against the policies currently in place here at TCS for us to assist you in your efforts. And from your post here, it is clear to all of us that you do not possess ownership of the registration/breeding rights nor do you have the intent to breed your cat with any degree of responsibility.

Since many of us (myself included - I am both a breeder and a member of the "Rescue Community") are deeply involved with the plight of homeless cats, our feelings on this matter tend to run hot. It is this passion that keeps us going and allows us to steel ourselves against the atrocities we see each and every day -- many of which could be avoided if people would but spay or neuter their household pets. We are not going to support efforts to make even more heartbreaking work for those who share our concerns, no matter where in the world they might be working on those problems.

It is for this reason that I am now closing this thread. Further inquiry can be addressed to me personally via private email or in private message here at TCS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
This thread is locked  
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › OMG - She is a Pedigree