frontline plus

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I bought some DE and it did not work for flea control on my animals. So I am going back to Frontline plus.

Since the ingredients are the same for dogs and cats I found a link I want to share.

In Australia, you do not need a prescription to buy Frontline plus.

So...
http://www.ipet-int.com/category9_1.htm

At that link is a 6 month supply for the extra large dog [88-132 lbs] and it is only 41.20. Payday I am getting some. This means one vial of Frontline plus for the 88-132 lb size will treat 8 cats.

Here is a conversion chart YOU CAN USE TO save money by buying the larger doses if you have multiple animals.. You just will need to have some sort of syringe to measure the doses.

CATS\t8 weeks or older-------0.017 fl oz (0.5 mL)
DOGS\tUP TO 22 LBS----------0.023 fl oz (0.67 mL)
DOGS\t---23-44 LBS-------------0.045 fl oz (1.34 mL
DOGS\t---45-88 LBS-------------0.091 fl oz (2.68 mL)
DOGS\t---89-132 LBS------------0.136 fl oz (4.02 mL)

Jenn

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
can anyone back this up?

so how do you do it? do you use a medical syringe to extract the exact amount?

might not do me any good, I only have two cats.

Also whats up with Australia being able to sell american's frontline so cheap? It seems every ebay vendor is from there.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the cat % of ingrediants is higher ... this is why MY VET wouldnt allow me to buy the dog for that reason

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Korina

Also whats up with Australia being able to sell american's frontline so cheap? It seems every ebay vendor is from there.
Yeah! Really! I just got 3 vials and paid $51.33.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

Hi,
In Australia, you do not need a prescription to buy Frontline plus.
Thanks for the info. Regarding the prescription issue, I noticed it out on the shelf at a local feed store last week.
It wasn't even locked up like it is at Petco. I didn't ask about it, but that was interesting anyway. I wonder if there is some catch I'm missing?

Originally Posted by sharky

the cat % of ingrediants is higher ... this is why MY VET wouldnt allow me to buy the dog for that reason
I noticed that too. I wonder, though...if it is effective despite the lower concentration...it wouldn't hurt.
I mean, they say that frontline is effective for 3 months (unofficially anyway), so I would think that a weaker concentration would probably work. I'm just speculating of course.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Frontline and Advantage are both non-prescription in the States now and have been for quite some time.

Revolution still requires a scrip here because of the ingredient for Heartworm.
In Revolution, the large dog dose is a quadruple concentration and is quite different to figure correctly. Consequently, vets here will generally not sell a dog dose to anyone that doesn't have a large dog as a patient with them.

Diatomaceous Earth is not a fast acting solution, but will eradicate fleas and other bugs over time as it cuts up the exoskeleton of the bugs and dehydrates them. One can have the greatest success with DE by using it to treat the environment regularly, such as dusting the lawn with it, working it into carpets and furniture, etc.

DE is also great to use at 1/4 tsp. per cat per day in their wet food, (if you can get them to eat the food with it in there), for de-worming and keeping them worm free. It does not harm the cats and the trace minerals can be good from them.

We have a space in our basement floor by the washer and dryer where a concrete form was when they did the pouring. Every year I have seen ants come up from there. Last year I spread DE in that space and never saw one ant all year.

The one real caution to be taken with DE is not to create clouds of dust and breathe them in because they could be a major irritant and probably a danger to anyone with asthma.

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The reason I brought up Australia was there were other posts claiming there was fradulent Frontline Plus being sold.

From what I gather a 3 pack is 45$ at my local Premium pet store.

It was a similar price at my vet too.

I have no problem buying a three pack from my vet to swing a little business his way but I have two cats that both go outdoors and tick season is from April to October.

Also let me mention that Frontline Plus does NOT stop a deer tick from biting your cat and latching on and getting big and fat.
I never find them outside of the facial area though.

Anyways to close, I would like to find a reputable bulk seller of Frontline.
Because of the tick problem in my area (lots of trees, vegetation, and wild animals) I try to apply frontline every 3-4 weeks.

I will also investigate and try this Diatomaceous Earth stuff, I never heard of it. We have ant problems in our house (again we live around a lot of vegetation) and my father uses Boron or some chemical that starts with a B to stop them.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is what i do and have been doing. The cat dosage of Frontline Plus is .5cc or .5mL (same amount). So when you buy large dog Frontline Plus, it can treat 15+ cats between the three vials of it. AMAZING savings and it works wonderfully. My friend who has been rescuing for 25 years has been doing this as long as she can remember and I just recently started. It is a great savings.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

That is what i do and have been doing. The cat dosage of Frontline Plus is .5cc or .5mL (same amount). So when you buy large dog Frontline Plus, it can treat 15+ cats between the three vials of it. AMAZING savings and it works wonderfully. My friend who has been rescuing for 25 years has been doing this as long as she can remember and I just recently started. It is a great savings.
I did a little homework

the plus part .. ie metheprone( sp??) is 3% lower in ALL dog than in the cats.... and the cat formula is higher since cats metabolize faster so you get less protection using dog thou in your shoes I would likely too

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should specify I rescue and have 14 cats who needed treatment so I cut costs whenever I can. If you have one or two, probably best to get the correct amounts of everything.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For my small cats, I buy the large cat formula (which is just double the amount of the small cat formula), and have a syringe, put the 10cc into a cup and just pull out 5cc and squirt that on the back of each of the kitties necks. It works much better if you have an even number of cats though
So because Lily is so skittish and hates being picked up and never goes outside, we generally don't do her. We just do the other 2 girls (who only go outside for supervised walks occasionally), and we've been flea free so far!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Korina

I will also investigate and try this Diatomaceous Earth stuff, I never heard of it. We have ant problems in our house (again we live around a lot of vegetation) and my father uses Boron or some chemical that starts with a B to stop them.
I had quite an invasion of ants earlier this spring - they were climbing up my cupboard doors and the walls, etc. I got some DE, spread it across the threshold coming into the house and after about 3 days stopped seeing any ants at all.

I wouldn't spread it on our lawn because I assume it would also kill the "good" bugs and earthworms.

I will, however, put some in our carpeting and brush it in well.

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I"ve always was told NEVER use dog products on cats. And I would never ever use frontline plus that is for dogs on cats. My neighbor did this and the cats died the next day.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyFirstRagdoll

I"ve always was told NEVER use dog products on cats.
That is good advice to live by...however in respect to this particular product, the ingredients are identical...EXCEPT that the cat product actually has a *stronger* concentration of the main active ingredient. The dog product is actually weaker.

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The reason my neighbors cats died was from Dogs Frontline Plus. It's what the vet found. And if you read the product warning it also says do not use on cats. You are giving bad advice to cat owners on here, and I would hate to think that someone will take this advice and kill their cats.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did I advise the use of the dog product?
I simply replied with some FACTS.

I even said that your advice was "good advice to live by".

christineragdol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should NEVER used products that are for dogs unless you do know how to use them. Dog products are much more strong than the cat products, so I don't know where that information came from, but to be used on cats, you MUST dilute them and know what you're doing.

I would advise using anything recommended for dogs unless you spoke to a vet first. Your cats may truly suffer needless.

Christine

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Christineragdol

You should NEVER used products that are for dogs unless you do know how to use them. Dog products are much more strong than the cat products, so I don't know where that information came from, but to be used on cats, you MUST dilute them and know what you're doing.

I would advise using anything recommended for dogs unless you spoke to a vet first. Your cats may truly suffer needless.

Christine
The knowledge of the CAT JUst Frontline PLUS being stronger than the dog CAME from a VET ... also SIMPLY reading the boxes would give it
.... PLease be a bit more thoughtful
.. Generally DOG stuff is MORE potent but not in the case at HAND

christineragdol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry, but I totally disagree. I don't know what vet would tell you that. Dog products are ALWYS stronger than cat products.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise